• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    You may have seen the news post on their site from a couple of weeks ago, but incase you missed it:

In an age when more and more releases are being made available as “download only,” we are going to try and stay a little old-fashioned by standing by the good old CD. While our regular releases have now long been made available both on CD and as downloads, we have released just a few iTunes-only titles. Soundtracks for films with more limited distribution have a hard time finding an audience in cities where the film itself is not shown. Since more and more of our favorite composers are scoring films that fall into this category, we thought it was time to start a new series of releases that is kind of a hybrid between our regular releases and our CD Club. These titles will be made available digitally at iTunes and Amazon, but we will also produce a limited number of CDs to be sold from our own web site. Hopefully this will provide the best option for fans of the composers and allow scores that might otherwise have fallen by the wayside to be added to the collection of those who want them, in the format that suits them best. We anticipate this to be a sporadic series, not a prolific one.

The first two releases will be announced on June 9th... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    I see this is a marketing gimmick, really. While I applaud almost everything Bob does, this one is sort of re-inventing the wheel, isn't it? Isn't this what my company, and several others, are doing already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Basically yeah wink Varese always like to blow the horn loud anyway, no surprises wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mr. Townson has an ego, all that I can say.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    And the first titles in this new series are The Stoning of Soraya M (John Debney) and In the Electric Mist (Marco Beltrami), with a thousand copies of each (and presumably downloads).
  1. Two titles that in splashier days, I might have investigated.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Well... I so much hoped for Horners "boy in the striped Pyjamas"...
    Well, electric mist and Soraya M. isn't bad, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Two titles that in splashier days, I might have investigated.

Me too.
  2. I actually really want to see IN THE ELECTRIC MIST. The director and star are a combination we're not likely to see again. I guess if I like what I hear in the film, I'm more likely to buy it. (I'm heading back to the good old days - buying the things I stand a reasonable chance of listening to. Liking a film and wanting to relive it always plays a big part in what I'm likely to listen to.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    There are sound clips over at www.colosseum.de (same as on varesesarabande.com).
    In the Electric Mist sounds really interesting... I've orderd this one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Didn't that Debney one come out as a promo a while back?
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Anthony wrote
    Didn't that Debney one come out as a promo a while back?

Yeah, did.
  3. I heard The Stoning of Soraya M once, rather boring
    the Beltrami effort I haven't heard at all

still nice additions from Varèse, hopefully they continue with it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I heard The Stoning of Soraya M once, rather boring
    the Beltrami effort I haven't heard at all

still nice additions from Varèse, hopefully they continue with it

Those scores aren't terribly original. are they? Those clips sound like I heard the music somewhere before. I haven't seen this 2 movies, so I probably will pass. Perhaps someone can comment on the music more?

Last track on TSOSM reminds me Charlie wilson's war.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I heard The Stoning of Soraya M once, rather boring the Beltrami effort I haven't heard at all still nice additions from Varèse, hopefully they continue with it

Both scores are retakes on older material; nothing to write home about. The stoning of Soraya M sounds like an uninspired take on PASSION OF THE CHRIST, and the Electric Mist is Beltrami on auto pilot with an exception of 2-3 pieces; really looking forward to watch the movie for the latter though.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I heard The Stoning of Soraya M once, rather boring the Beltrami effort I haven't heard at all still nice additions from Varèse, hopefully they continue with it

Both scores are retakes on older material; nothing to write home about. The stoning of Soraya M sounds like an uninspired take on PASSION OF THE CHRIST, and the Electric Mist is Beltrami on auto pilot with an exception of 2-3 pieces; really looking forward to watch the movie for the latter though.

so, it was a wise choice to release a small amount of them wink
    Well, at least it's better to see them released than to see them rot away

I'm curious as to what they'll release next
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it was a wise choice to release it in small numbers 'cause otherwise they would sell either very few copies, or almost not at all; now its' a sell-out. Mark my words and count the days wink
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Well it was a wise choice to release it in small numbers 'cause otherwise they would sell either very few copies, or almost not at all; now its' a sell-out. Mark my words and count the days wink

indeed, but the losers who buy these limited pieces to re sell it with interest haven't thought about one thing, now you can download these as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well you could download them anyway before, so no biggy wink
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Well you could download them anyway before, so no biggy wink

indeed, so many people will spend their money on the download and not the over priced album punk
  7. The Beltrami title has been available on Amazon for a few weeks...but the tracks (and times) are different.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009
    Wau, I just love "In the electric mist"!
    It has a gripping, very beautiful little main theme and a very intriguing percussion use. Played only with a small amount of musicans (a chamber orchestra). Really nice to listen, especially after Beltramis tour-de-force with "Knowing".

I also like Debney's "The Stoning of Soraya M.". I don't really think, that you can compare it with "The Passion of the Christ", simply because it doesn't sound as pathetic as "The Passion". "The Passion" was as same an overblown score, as the movie (images were) was. "The Stoning of Soraya M." is much more intimet and not as epic as, for exemple "the Ressuraction"-cue in "The Passion". Of course there is this singing (other would say wailing) of Sussan Deyhim. If you can't stand this (anymore), then of course, this score gives you some hard times...

Two really nice realises, I think.... just my two cents.