• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    omaha wrote
    Sunil wrote

Kamen has a very distinct style which is quite different from many composers, and leaves little to be compared.

I also always enjoyed Kamen's work with other artists including Clapton, Sanborn, and Adams.

I completely agree with you. Michael Kamen's composing style was so unique. What's your favorite scores of his?

I don't really have a favorite by him. I really enjoy all his work. smile

Me too. A very underappreciated composer. I haven't listened to Jack in a while, but it's a lot of fun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talking about weird noises used in otherwise gorgeous melodies, Goldsmith's Legend comes to mind... I've never been able to get into that one. I bought it, hoping it would be another fantastic masterpiece like he did so many of at the time... But my first few listens I truly hated the thing, because it had so much potential in the themes aspect but it was ruined by the synths and cutting off in melodies at the strangest times. The flow of the score was so off for most of the time. I've since learned to appreciate it for what it is, but I don't think Legend will ever get a spot on my top 20 list.

I agree. It could have been a Debussy-ian masterpiece (and still holds much value), but is reduced to cheeseball gymnastics through Goldsmith's failure to utilize synths in an organic way with the orchestra.

I have to agree to some extent, I believe one of his greatest works is within this score but there's more than a few times where the synths are jarring.

Debussy-ian is spot on Thor, but don't forget the heavy dose of Ravel, just listen to Ravel's fantasy masterpiece Daphnis & Chloe sometime.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is it? I can't listen to it. shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

What? Ravel? Debussy? or Goldsmith's Legend?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Legend; if i remember correctly, and it's that score with the terrible synths.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Fair nuff! I can understand that, those synths are not for everybody and as I've mentioned befiore, they grate on me too at times though I do think there are moments in the score where they blend very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think it fits in this thread; like Fiedel's TERMINATOR scores; I can't really understand them, i don't get them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Fair nuff! I can understand that, those synths are not for everybody and as I've mentioned befiore, they grate on me too at times though I do think there are moments in the score where they blend very well.

I find NO such moment myself, but there ARE moments when the purely orchestral material shines.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I think it fits in this thread; like Fiedel's TERMINATOR scores; I can't really understand them, i don't get them.

Superb scores in the film, and - like BLADE RUNNER - one of the most brilliant examples of sound and music blending perfectly together in a unison "soundscape". However, I wouldn't listen to those scores on CD if you paid me 100 bucks. I'd rather listen to the centrifuge of my washing machine.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Superb scores in the film, and - like BLADE RUNNER - one of the most brilliant examples of sound and music blending perfectly together in a unison "soundscape". However, I wouldn't listen to those scores on CD if you paid me 100 bucks. I'd rather listen to the centrifuge of my washing machine.

Pretty much what I've said all along cool beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I find NO such moment myself, but there ARE moments when the purely orchestral material shines.

AHHHH!!! A 'glass half full' man!

Salute beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh! Yeah! now you completely fits in to this thread. Well Done! beer wave
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    beer