• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just ten years ago the Varese Club and FSM were pretty much all you had for limited editions on regular basis.

Each months now we seem to get more and more. I recently mused to a friend on IM that we were reaching a point of saturation with this. And indeed a couple months later three more labels popped up offering limited editions.

Now I think there is way too much, in fact just this passed week I mused to myself that there are so many limited editions -- some leaked months in advance (like the November 4CD set of score from "The X-Files") and then each one having a potential to release something you always wanted -- that I find I personally can no longer find my way into buying regular non limited score CD releases; I imagine other people are in the same boat -- even those who make way, way more than I do.

Here's the yearly line up:

FilmScoreMonthly:
    Used to be monthly with two CDs, now they pop up spurattically.

Varese Sarabande CD Club:
    Three times a year, with each batch containing three to five CDs.

Prometheus Records:
    Oh, say about twice a year, with no set amount of CDs per.

Percepto Records:
    Once a year, with typically a 50% chance of being something big (last time was the msot requested "Day of hte Dolphin").

Buysoundtrax Records:
    When they aren't in denile about their lousey costumer service and having Mark Banning playing make up in FSM threads, they crank out about three to four CDs a year.

Movie Score Media:
    I guess about four CD releases a year (not counting download-only ones).

Kritzerland:
    Still fresh on the scene, it looks like we can expect about four to maybe six a year. And Kudos on their new NON flash site.

Varese Sarabande:
    Yup, again -- they started another new limited edition CD thing. The news section of their site says "sporadic series", but their first batch contained two CDs (each limited to 1,000 copies), so I would assume maybe four a year.

Perseverance Records:
    Their releases are sporadic as well, but they got so much in the pipeline (like Newman's "The Runestone") it makes you wonder if at points in the future they might dump batches on us when we least expect it. Right now its safe to say they crank out about two to three a year.

Intrada Records:
    Aside from knocking releases out of the park on a regular basis, they also knock new limited editions out on a regular basis, with two to three a month!

One of those new ones: Howling' Wolf Records:
    http://www.howlinwolfrecords.com/index_main.htm

There are so many. These were the only ones that I could come up with off the top of my head.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    Without the limited edition status most of these scores would NEVER have seen the light of day!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. That's right, but with so many seeing the light of day, and the race you have to make before some of these sell out -- if you miss it before it does and goes on eBay for an arm-and-a-leg, it might as well never seen the light of day.

But with more and more limited editions you also run the risk of hurting other labels, who would have so much competition that they find their monthly purchases go down.

I think something like that happened to FSM. Lukas stated i na thread about a year ago that in order for things to go right and money to be there (of course in different words), they need to release about two a month. Now some months go buy with no release.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Without the limited edition status most of these scores would NEVER have seen the light of day!

-Erik-

And several of them wouldn't sell a single copy WITHOUT such a status wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

And several of them wouldn't sell a single copy WITHOUT such a status wink

Maybe... maybe not

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, maybe and maybe yes i'd say; you know how these things are, it's pretty evident. I don't have a problem with it, it's a very valid marketing trick and if it gets money for the labels, then i'm all good for it since that means they'll have the extra financial ability to release other stuff as well that they would normally not be able release.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    That's right, but with so many seeing the light of day, and the race you have to make before some of these sell out -- if you miss it before it does and goes on eBay for an arm-and-a-leg, it might as well never seen the light of day.

Where the hell is logic in that statement? Just because someone was unfortunate enough not to get something in time doesn't mean it shouldn't be available for anyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm with D. on this: the "limited status" is pretty much a guarantuee it will sell, for no other reason than that "everyone else is doing it, and I need to get in there NOW before <insert eBay complaint>". I do must certainly believe many (though certainly not all) limited releases, in a normal batch issue wouldn't sell out.

So, like Southall (I think it was), I'm making a step back and not get into the feeding frenzy: I buy what I like rather than what is available. And if that more reticent attitude leads to missing some limited edition having sold out in three hours, so be it: then it might -like D. says- just as well not have been available at all.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    But with more and more limited editions you also run the risk of hurting other labels, who would have so much competition that they find their monthly purchases go down.

Hmmmm...that may at least in part explain why the "limited edition craze" is now such a widespread phenomenon.
    I don't rememember it being quite so hectic, say, ten years ago.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's an incredible luxury problem.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. you don't have to tell me there's so much music coming out that it's impossible to listen to all of it. But memory serves me they are just releasing what's been produced. So it is the market of filmmaking and not filmmusic that becomes saturated.

Sadly a fan like us wants to hear everything and wants to have everything, making sure labels know this behaviour and release whatever they can get their hands on, even if it's crap. Some labels still try to bring quality but sometimes I wonder why there's even a release of it.

However, to my humble opinion you can never stop with releasing limited editions, because most of the times these hold something extra, something special. And the fact there is always music we forgot about and that we want so desperately price will not matter (a lot)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've discussed all of this before.
    Thomas

I will say I do appreciate the fact that none of the classical material I like to listen to has ever been classified as limited edition.
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    I've discussed all of this before.
    Thomas

I will say I do appreciate the fact that none of the classical material I like to listen to has ever been classified as limited edition.

you did?
    where?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas, you are developing certain particular characteristics and idiosyncracies that might conceivably impede your continued existence on this board...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Ask Erik, Steven, and others. My blood pressure was raised and I'm done with that kind of behavior.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!