• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    Incidentally, and I swear to Allah I'm not just making this up for effect, I saw a young Muslim girl in the gym today wearing a hijab. I could see her struggling to keep it on, as well as sweating profusely because of it. This, contrary to what Volker seems to suggest, didn't make me angry. On this occasion, it greatly amused me.
  1. I have to say that I see more Muslim women in town wearing a scarf than I did a few years ago. 90 percent of these are wearing them hijab style that let you see the face and a bit of hair.
    Very few of my female Muslim students wear a scarf in that fashion. There are two girls (in a 800 students school) that wear the scarf niqab style, covering all the hair.
    The vast majority of my Muslim girls don't cover their hair at all. I know there are Muslim boys who try to put girls under pressure. There are two conservative (to say the least) mosques in town that back up such notions. To no avail so far. We teachers are watching that very closely.
    I am under the impression that Muslim communities in Britain are more conservative in general than they are in Germany. I don't know for sure of course.

I can't say that she is entirely wrong.
    Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himelreich. (What you think is right will make you happy.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A hijab does seem more of a cultural observance than a deeply ideological one (even though it has its dark ideological underpinnings) and is far more ideal than full ninja get ups I hasten to add.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote

I can't say that she is entirely wrong.
    Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himelreich. (What you think is right will make you happy.)

But that doesn't make you right. A psychopath who murders for fun will find him or herself quite content in murdering people, but that it's right in their mind doesn't necessarily make it right in any objective sense. An extreme example perhaps, and I'm not eqauting all Muslims with psychopathic murderes (although they are among their numbers), but it does rather highlight the point I think.

Also, although I understand that many moderate Muslims do find much solace in their faith and traditions, they should also be aware that the symbol they wear with pride is also a source of much suffering for many others. They do their sistren a disservice by glossing over this in the name of liberalism.
  2. Steven wrote

Also, although I understand that many moderate Muslims do find much solace in their faith and traditions, they should also be aware that the symbol they wear with pride is also a source of much suffering for many others. They do their sistren a disservice by glossing over this in the name of liberalism.

Here we have found common ground. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would tell Ninja's to take their masks off but I've never seen one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

An excellent point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Discrimination against whom? People who wear helmets? Give me a break! [/i]

Again: it's nit the practicality. It's the principle of the thing
    No, it's not Apartheid, or Tutsis and Hutus murdering each other.
    But "one specific segment of the population being structurally exempt from law or rules or benefitted socially based on nothing but a specific cultural trait" seems pretty damn clear and disturbing to me...
    But I'd love an explanation on how this is not discriminatory.
    (And for the record, which unfortunately seems to be required: had the case in point been a yarmulke vs. a baseball cap I would have been just as irate)

All I sense here is an irrational fury against religion and borderline racism against Muslims.

Spare me those old and really tired chestnuts, Captain.
    The fury is hardly irrational, as it is explained, analysed, re-evaluated and rechecked time and time again, even on this very board. To call it irrational simply because you disagree seems...well....irrational!

And racism? Really, Captain?
    I would love for you to explain that one, if it isn't that old 80s/90s kneejerk reaction to simply gag anyone you disagree with by painting them with the broadest 'poisoning the well' paintbrush possible! In fact I'm surprised you haven't hit me with the classic other Poisoned Well Of Evil yet, by painting me a fascist!

Rousseau's "forcing people to be free" is the path towards fascism.

... and thar she blows. biggrin

History has proven that time and again. That way of thinking is outright dangerous.

Really, Captain?
    Forcing people to be free leads to Fascism?
    Howzabout current day Affirmative Action? Or the Emancipation Act in the States? Women's Vote? Just go name three HUGE leaps forward that build on that very idea?
    All outright dangerous?

Yes, of course there is a risk (as I pretty much already stated in my previous post, right?), but dismissing the concept completely is foolhardy.

Let us be weary of the tone of the debate, as I would paraphrase Huey Long in suggesting that "when Fascism comes, it will be under the guise of anti-Fascism".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Yes it does lead to fascism and I don't use that word promiscuously. Robespierre, who formed the model of the modern totalitarian state, did this with arguments that link back directly to Rousseau's Contrat Social. He did not even have to twist Rousseau's words. Those who won't see the reason in the assumed volonte generale have to be made to agree. That's not my idea, it's the common interpretation. Rousseau isn't simply a hero of reason and freedom, he is a double-edged sword.

Or think of Bonaparte who tried to enlighten Europe by force and who today is often seen as a forerunner of fascist dictators.

Ok, I am not calling anyone here a racist. Also I agree with Steven, that racism with regard to being anti-Muslim (or anti-Religion) probably is the wrong term. Let's call it being rigoristic in applying a universal code of ethics on everyone and everything. (Which - by the way - is, what monotheistic religion does.)

Now, I am also not an advocate of cultural relativism in general and much less with regard to people who choose to live in western countries.

Clipping girls genitals is one thing. Forcing someone to wear a burka is another. Wearing a hijab out of ones free decision is jet another.

I agree, one thing can lead to the other and one has to be weary. (As I said, in my school we teachers are watching this very closely, we don't turn a blind eye to it.) Whenever pressure of even force is uses to make others comply, the red line has been crossed.

But to say to a Muslim girl that decides to don a hijab: "You may think, you do this of your own volition, but you really don't understand the nature of freedom because you bow to a suppressive culture." That does seem arrogant to me.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    But to say to a Muslim girl that decides to don a hijab: "You may think, you do this of your own volition, but you really don't understand the nature of freedom because you bow to a suppressive culture." That does seem arrogant to me.

It's probably true that this direct approach won't change many minds (though there have been times had someone said to me "You're being an idiot" it might have helped... perhaps we should give people a little more credit, perhaps they're not all as sensitive as we envisage). But I think you're conflating the idea of encouraging people and societies how to think with what to think.

Perhaps less so with the hijab, but certainly with a niqab/burka, if a woman has never been encouraged to scrutinise the reasons for wearing it, I think it's imperative that they are. It is not arrogant to ask someone to think for themselves, or at least to consider a different perspective, particularly since we know that this form of sexually repressive, patriarchal oppression does not produce happy societies.

Anyway. This is a different -though parallel- track to my initial complaint, lest the two become confused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Rousseau isn't simply a hero of reason and freedom, he is a double-edged sword.

Of course, as I have already stated twice.
    But to take Robespierre citing him makes as much sense in the discussion as Stalin quoting Marx. "The devil will quote scripture if it fits his needs".

Or think of Bonaparte who tried to enlighten Europe by force and who today is often seen as a forerunner of fascist dictators.

By some. Still widely revered as one of Europe's great unifiers and visionaries by others.
    I'm on the fence myself. I greatly admire Napoleon for many of his visions of state (and his part in ending The Terror), but evidence suggests the man was a complete sociopath (at least in personal interactions), so I have some trouble accepting the "all for the good of the people" approach sone more starry-eyed historians adopt.

But you cite the great -and often dreaded- dictatorial madmen and lightly blip over the much more sensible (and necessary....yet of course far less dramatic and romantic wink ) examples I myself cited, which are born from the very same principle.
    So I am not convinced: the discussion seems stuck, as the discussion now looks domething like
    - this could work
    - Yes, but it can go very wrong!
    - yes, but it can also go very right.

(Which is fine, if course. Not every discussion needs to end in great unification. smile )

I agree, one thing can lead to the other and one has to be weary. (As I said, in my school we teachers are watching this very closely, we don't turn a blind eye to it.) Whenever pressure of even force is uses to make others comply, the red line has been crossed.

I'm very interested in how this is done in Germany, Volkert?
    We have the same issues in The Netherlands, and the approach is....well....let's say 'not as effective as one would like'.

Steven has pretty much perfectly addressed this: learning how to think, without fear, is key.

It IS an oppressive, patriarchal and conservative culture. To think this would have no effect on (women's) thinking seems terribly naive, especially in light of the vicious attack on those brave female artists and writers who HAVE wrested themselves away, and who find only limited support in the West, because STILL far too many consider a word against Islam and its preoccupations to be 'needlessly insulting' and 'provocative'.

Why Islam needs this blanket of protection (over every single other religion) I will never understand.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Well, in school any "effective" approach is next to impossible. I personally don't wish for any such measures but I guess we won't coincide here.

You have to know in Germany there are no class uniforms. There never was a big tradition in that regard, not even 1933-1945, but since '45 anything remotely resembling a uniform in class is obsolete. This goes so far that there is no written dress code whatsoever. Not for pupils or students nor for teachers. That goes for schools and universities alike. There is a common understanding that everyone is supposed to dress decently but that's it. Only very few teachers wear ties. Most principals do though. So it's handled rather casualy. If a girl seems to dress too revealing or some punk or goth student cultivates an outfit that scares the younglings, some teacher will address the issue in a confidential way and mostly that will be the end of it.

So, as I said in my school there are but a hand full of Muslim female students that don a scarf. That's remarkable because out of seven "a-level-high-schools" in town mine is the one with the highest amount of Muslim students.

Obviously this has to do with education. We are factually the high school of choice for the Muslim middle class. Most of my Muslim students were born in Germany. Their parents or grandparents came from Turkey, the Maghreb, or Bosnia. If you look at schools that are "below A-level" you will find much more Muslim girls wearing a scarf.

So, education is the key.

If a girl suddenly turns up with a hijab there isn't anything you can do about it. We very recently had a court ruling in Germany to the effect that female Muslim teachers have a right to wear a scarf (showing their face), if they choose to do so.

If direct measures are out of the question indirect measures must be considered.

As you might know my teaching subjects are German Literature and Philosophy. Since we don't (jet) have Islamic Religious Education in public schools Muslim students are required to attend Philosophy. A few of them actually opt for Catholic RE rather, which I find interesting. Catholic and Protestant RE are regular teaching subjects in Germany. Some students will attend RE and Philosophy but that is not always possible.

Now, a big part of my curriculum deals with the philosophy of enlightenment. Quite often we will discuss questions concerning reason and religion coming into conflict. It is my experience that there are two kinds of Muslim students. There are those who will take a liberal position. They take part in these discussions quite actively. Others - the minority - won't take part in such discussions at all, no matter what.

So, that's it. Studying the philosophy of the age of enlightenment will hopefully slowly but surely show some effect. Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. (Kant) Everyone has to walk that path on his own. Hopefully he will find guidance and encouragement. Yet no one should be forced on this path for no good will come of it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015 edited
    Remaining on this topic, here are two fascists talking to one another.

Disgusting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015
    Is this the 'religion' thread?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes. Clearly you drunkenly clicked the wrong topic again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Is this the 'religion' thread?

Look at the title, now look at me. Now back to the title.

Of course it's the right thread.
  5. Giacchino's (apparently) pun-tastic track titles. Laugh? I almost did.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0neB1b29l8
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015
    I'm annoyed by the Windows 10 icon that has appeared on my taskbar, and which cannot be removed (I can remove it manually from 'properties' each time I log on, but I can't remove it entirely -- not from the machine, and not if I click "show hidden icons", which I sometimes must do to access programs).

Anyone else experiencing this?

What a shitty move from Microsoft -- basically forcing malware on us. No way I'm upgrading to Windows 10 after this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2015
    Yes, a tiny little and easily-ignored button has appeared on my taskbar too. (I didn't ignore it though, I clicked on it and reserved Windows 10.)
  6. Thor, it was a Windows Update, which I forgot the number of KB3something.

If you don't want the icon to show up in your taskbar, just get rid of the update. You can uninstall it through Windows Update.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor, it was a Windows Update, which I forgot the number of KB3something.

If you don't want the icon to show up in your taskbar, just get rid of the update. You can uninstall it through Windows Update.

I had it too. And had to uninstall the relevant update to remove the icon (and the associated files related to securing your copy of Windows 10).

The various files were contained in the Windows Update KB3035583*. I went into the Windows Update window on my PC and listed all the installed updates and scrolled down to the relevant update. Right clicking on this update allows you to uninstall the update. I always manually update windows so I was able to go back into Windows Update and then hide this update when the Updater tells me that it's ready again to install. Not sure what you would do if you update windows automatically.

*Just confirm yourself that this is the update containing GWX.exe and associated "GWX" files before removing it. I take no responsibility for messing up any computers as a result of following my recommended course of action. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Southall wrote
    Yes, a tiny little and easily-ignored button has appeared on my taskbar too. (I didn't ignore it though, I clicked on it and reserved Windows 10.)

Not too bothered that Windows can add this advert for its own product as an "important update". It's not as if no-one knows it's coming and may miss it otherwise. For me, it's this that's difficult to ignore.

Windows 10 needs to be being used by "early adopters" for a while to see how it works (there may be the odd glitch I'd imagine) before I'd want to have it. And then I'd probably go for a machine that had it already installed rather than lay it over the top of Windows 7. Assuming that my machine would run Windows 10 easily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Thor wrote
    What a shitty move from Microsoft -- basically forcing malware on us. No way I'm upgrading to Windows 10 after this.

Lets not call it malware. wink

I look forward to Windows 10. Should be a big step forward, but as always, I have reservations too and will lookout for reviews as well.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I reserved my copy, with an e-mail confirmation. I will install it at my leisure, probably some time next year, when all the "early adopter" kinks are ironed out.
    Until that time, I have set the icon to "only show notifications" to remove it from my active task bar.
    If it keeps popping up, I'll simply remove the relevant KB.
    Not a very big deal, this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For me, it's a big deal. In fact, I used a particular program to install the old and original interface when I got my Windows 7. I've basically had the same interface since the late 90s, because I think it's superior to all the "busy-button" interfaces that have followed since.

So yeah -- while I might be interested in checking out W10 just to see what the deal is, I will not install it on my computer. Hence this inescapable icon that stares me in the face every time I log on, is annoying and FEELS like malware (even if it isn't).

In any case: Thanks for the tip, Alan. I have automatic updates, but I will check to see if I can edit and uninstall this thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Martijn wrote
    I reserved my copy, with an e-mail confirmation. I will install it at my leisure, probably some time next year, when all the "early adopter" kinks are ironed out.
    Until that time, I have set the icon to "only show notifications" to remove it from my active task bar.
    If it keeps popping up, I'll simply remove the relevant KB.
    Not a very big deal, this.

When you set it to "only show notifications" don't you get it appearing again next time you fire up your computer? I did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I realized I didn't want to remove the latest windows update altogether, as there might be other important things there that I need.

However, I found this by googling around:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get- … m-taskbar/

Quite cumbersome process if you want to remove the app altogether (like I do), but I made ut using this tutorial.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I looked though the update quoted above and it seemed only related to GWX, i.e., the offer to upgrade to Windows 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    For me, it's a big deal. In fact, I used a particular program to install the old and original interface when I got my Windows 7. I've basically had the same interface since the late 90s, because I think it's superior to all the "busy-button" interfaces that have followed since.

ClassicShell / Classic Menu?
    They already have an update for Windows 10 available. smile
    (I use it as well)