• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009 edited
    Sad news. According to this article the Cincinnati Symphony and Telarc have ceased recording new CD's.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl … 908230344/

And earlier this year Kunzel was diagnosed with cancer, and has since been undergoing treatment.

Kuznel was a very important part of my film music upbringing. His The Great Fantasy Adventure Album was the first Kuznel recording I heard and introduced me to a wealth of new music I had never heard before! To this day, that album still ranks as one of the finest ever recorded! Thank you Mr. Kunzel and please get better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009
    Very sad news. I have a great deal of admiration for Kunzel, so my thoughts are with him. sad
  1. I love those Kunzel compilations, especially since you introduced me to some of the most noteworthy, Erik. My collection has only gotten better.

I'm sad too to hear this news. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2009
    I've accumulated nearly 50 albums over the years.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    I just asked Telarc for a review copy. If they send it I'll review it for the site.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very very sad news. I can only wish him all the best.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He made a wonderful contribution to music. I saw them once in person and am glad I did.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sad news. According to this article the Cincinnati Symphony and Telarc have ceased recording new CD's.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl … 908230344/

And earlier this year Kunzel was diagnosed with cancer, and has since been undergoing treatment.

Kuznel was a very important part of my film music upbringing. His The Great Fantasy Adventure Album was the first Kuznel recording I heard and introduced me to a wealth of new music I had never heard before! To this day, that album still ranks as one of the finest ever recorded! Thank you Mr. Kunzel and please get better!

-Erik-

Seconded!

That album (GREAT FANTASY) is also my first Kunzel CD (or rather, a cassette copy of it, since it belonged to a friend of mine), and - in fact - one of my earliest soundtrack album compilations. Loved it from start to finish, except the sound effects. I also had the SYMPHONIC STAR TREK for a while, but traded it off. Don't know why, really, since it had some smokin' versions of the themes.

Wishing Kunzel a speedy recovery!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I've told this story before but I'll tell it again. My first experience with Kunzel and the C.Pops was on LP, the 1812 Overture complete with wicked sounding cannons. It was a digital recording and one of the earliest if not the first from Telarc. Excited I put it on my turntable and began to listen, marveling at the wonderful clarity. However when the first cannon burst went off it actually raised up the tone arm of the platter and deposited it at the end of the lp. I had been thinking about a new turntable and that made the decision for me. The new one was just fine and I still own it today.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    I think I've told this story before but I'll tell it again. My first experience with Kunzel and the C.Pops was on LP, the 1812 Overture complete with wicked sounding cannons. It was a digital recording and one of the earliest if not the first from Telarc. Excited I put it on my turntable and began to listen, marveling at the wonderful clarity. However when the first cannon burst went off it actually raised up the tone arm of the platter and deposited it at the end of the lp. I had been thinking about a new turntable and that made the decision for me. The new one was just fine and I still own it today.

Thomas

Cool! "It's Alive!".
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The sheer force of the cannon firing did that? I'm astounded! That's one hell of a powerful recording. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes it did.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Cincinnati Symphony and Kunzel are one of the most vibrant things to have happened to film music; my thoughts are with him, keep us updated. Very sad news indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    I just received a copy of the final CD they made together. Will give you a report.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm in the process of trying to get into this "From The Top at the Pops," the last of the Kunzel Cincinnati Pops recordings. The work is a 7 minute Serenade for Strings written by Stephen Fiegenbaum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote
    I'm in the process of trying to get into this "From The Top at the Pops," the last of the Kunzel Cincinnati Pops recordings. The work is a 7 minute Serenade for Strings written by Stephen Fiegenbaum.

You would buy this CD for the following reasons.
    1....It is likely the last CD Kunzel will make and you have a level of sentimentality.
    2....To marvel at the ability of young people performing in the 12-19 age group.
    3....You enjoy classical music.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    It's another sad day in film music. Conductor Erich Kunzel has passed away at the age of 74.

Thank you Mr. Kunzel for playing a key roll in my discovery and love of film music! You will be missed.

-Erik-

PS - I just saw him conduct the Toronto Symphony this past June. Thank you for the memories!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very very sad. A film music champion sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oww. That is sad to hear. Unbelievable how quick this disease kills, it's cruel.
    Kazoo
  3. I definitely will listen to those compilations in a different light as of now. Very sad to learn this news. RIP Mr. Kunzel.

As I was reading this post, I was just listening to a great song by Dream Theater appropriately called 'The Spirit Carries On'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Very sorry to hear this. We just heard about his diagnosis a couple of months ago, and I had not expected the battle to be lost so soon.

While I cannot credit Kunzel with my discovery of film music, his name has always been with me since I became truly interested in the artform in the early 90's. The CD's THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM and SYMPHONIC STAR TREK are both early CD's of mine from that period. In fact, I had the FANTASY album on a cassette (copied from a friend) and played it a lot. Some of the themes there rivalled the originals. The HOOK material, for example.

Could it perhaps be said that he was the Charles Gerhardt of our time?

He will be missed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    sad Farewell Mr Kunzel and thanks for all the music you brought to us. It was his recording compilation titled Beautiful Hollywood that got me into scores (and Morricone especially).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    While it was not a film compilation but a classical recording I still have managed to acquire 50+ albums of his over the years.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sad to hear this. He left a great legacy behind him though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    He certainly impacted me. Erik and I were just talking about how great the 3 Choral Suite album of Rozsa material was. Yes the recording quality has slipped some but certainly not the performance.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Oww. That is sad to hear. Unbelievable how quick this disease kills, it's cruel.

Very true, and very shocking. Rest in Peace...he is one of the men who surely left a great load of work behind .
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Very sorry to hear this. We just heard about his diagnosis a couple of months ago, and I had not expected the battle to be lost so soon.

While I cannot credit Kunzel with my discovery of film music, his name has always been with me since I became truly interested in the artform in the early 90's. The CD's THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM and SYMPHONIC STAR TREK are both early CD's of mine from that period. In fact, I had the FANTASY album on a cassette (copied from a friend) and played it a lot. Some of the themes there rivalled the originals. The HOOK material, for example.

Could it perhaps be said that he was the Charles Gerhardt of our time?

He will be missed.

Yeah, not far off.

For people around my age ( hi Alan wave ...and Martijn wave ) Geoff Love was a great force in bringing film music to the masses, many of his albums contained themes that you couldn't find anywhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    OMG , very sorry to hear this ! sad
    We heard about his diagnosis only a little while back wasn't ?
    Cancer of the pancreas , liver and colon !

My wife's uncle was diagnosed with pancreas cancer about 6 months back .
    He's still with us and doing pretty good at the moment , but you never know
    when things turn around . It's incurable we all know that ...
    A close friend of my wife just died about two weeks ago - the same ilness - pancreas cancer .
    She fought against it for four years but in the end she lost the battle ...
    Just awful !

Thank you Mr. Kunzel for sharing all that great music with us through the years .
    You will be missed ...

There's a nice memorial website of Mr. Kunzel right here .
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/albums … ne-Gouldi/

A link to his last album if anyone is interested.
    Thomas