• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    ENNIO MORRICONE - THE PLATINUM COLLECTION DISC 2

Very interesting pieces like Once upon time in America, Once upon time in West, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Cinema Paradiso, The Secret of the Sahara etc. All are great. Wow! simply amazing!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  1. justin boggan wrote
    The movie hasn't even come out yet, and Emmerich is working on turning it into a TV series.

I'm wondering what that'll be like. An earthquake in one episode, a building collapsing in another, a volcanic eruption, and a giant tsunami in the season one's finale, and all the while John Cusack trying to escape the devastation. For 3 full seasons !!!! After it'll be november 2012 and the world will end anyway. So he can't say he didn't prepare us for armageddon. shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009 edited
    I forgot to mention season 2 will have a huge cliffhanger at the end but I'll spoil it anyway: it involves Cusack and him hanging from a cliff. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    For 3 full seasons !!!! After it'll be november 2012 and the world will end anyway. So he can't say he didn't prepare us for armageddon

lol applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    FILM MUSIC BY ENNIO MORRICONE

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! i have no other words to say because i don't know. biggrin biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, major disappointment.

Not for me because it's exactly what I thought it would sound like.

-Erik-

Is it like THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Day After Tomorrow has a wonderful opening credit track, in my opinion, and the rest is.... let's say, forgettable, the least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Not really D. It's all very impersonal and anonimous. TDAT is much better, since it had at least a theme and some melody.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    The Day After Tomorrow has a wonderful opening credit track, in my opinion, and the rest is.... let's say, forgettable, the least.

It has a lot of powerful and emotional material in it, albeit unoriginal.
    Bregt wrote
    Not really D. It's all very impersonal and anonimous. TDAT is much better, since it had at least a theme and some melody.

Thanks Bregt! As for you not enjoying the movie (which i haven't seen btw) i think you burnt your hollywood fuse! wink
    •  
    I was listening earlier to, and with many thanks to Eric with a c for providing this, and a guy called NeoTheOne for the mixing:

The Golden Years Symphony (James Horner)

Awesome! Brilliant! Fantastic!

The golden years of Horner up until 2001 is about right. Anyway this 80 minute mix is wonderfully done... basically the best of Horner in one neat package, and each theme / melody / main title nicely edited into another. Apart from one volume glitch in Star Trek II, which is no big deal really, this makes you think back to the golden days of Hollywood film scoring and it really shows the quality stuff Horner has written that blows many recent scores out of the water.

This was an exceptionally wonderful listen, and my next objective is to listen to all the scores (30 or so) that are present in this mix. So until next year guys...

Have you heard it, Erik with a k, and what did you think about the mixing? You may have just found your match...

And I would never have guessed that mixing Willow's heavenly choir with the opening guitars of The Mask of Zorro could be this effective. I love that !
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I'm going to keep my comments to myself this time.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. So I take it you didn't like it? By all means, do share your thoughts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    So I take it you didn't like it? By all means, do share your thoughts.

I will later... I need to gather my thoughts and write something constructive. I just found some of the edits to be very jarring... and that Willow/Zorro thing is not very good.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. You serious? I think it worked very well. I'm awaiting your final words then, but overall the mixer did a good job, but then I have hardly trained ears. wink

But as a 'Best of' this is a very enjoyable mix.
    •  
    Also after Bicentennial Man ended, I was expecting to hear the mighty 'Stealing the Enterprise', if you know what I mean, now that was a genius edit in your mix, though also a very logical one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Beowulf ~ Alan Silvestri

YEAH BABY!!!!! punk punk
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Glad you've enjoyed it Gilles and let's remember it's a fanmade mix , not a professional one !
    But I think the guy did a great job .
    I also loved Willow's heavenly choir mixed with the opening guitars of The Mask of Zorro .
    I think it worked very well .
    But we both have fan ears and not professional ones , that's maybe why we like it ... wink biggrin
    I love the guy's John Williams mix as well and he also did a Jerry Goldsmith mix .
    Overall the guy did his best and I enjoy them and that's what counts for me ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Np: Oliver Twist - Sir Arnold Bax

He didn't write too many film scores but when he did Arnold Bax knocked them out of the park. I've only heard the concert suite of Oliver Twist and that instantly became one of my favorites. Well, I've now acquired the complete score thanks to Chandos, Rumon Gamba and The BBC Philharmonic. IMHO, this is easily one of the greatest scores ever composed. Scintillating score and inspired performances!

-Erik-

I need to get this one along with Bliss Things To Come. Gamba has done some fantastic work with this series, my favourites so far being The Film Music of Clifton Parker and RVW's Scott of The Antarctic ( familiar with either of these Erik? )

p.s. and the Ron Goodwin CD too....brilliant! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Stavroula wrote

YEAH BABY!!!!! punk punk

YEAH BABY INDEED !! smile

Some great action sequences on this one !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Eric wrote
    Glad you've enjoyed it Gilles and let's remember it's a fanmade mix , not a professional one !
    I also loved Willow's heavenly choir mixed with the opening guitars of The Mask of Zorro .
    But we both have fan ears and not professional ones , that's maybe why we like it ... wink biggrin
    I love the guy's John Williams mix as well and he also did a Jerry Goldsmith mix .

I'm really glad you guys enjoyed them. Seriously. I just found some of the the edits to not make any sense musically. Some of the edits were odd... the Zorro/Willow thing was weird mainly because I think those two pieces are in a different key. I just found that the flow was disrupted by some jarring edits. Look, I'm no pro sound engineer or sound editor but when I do my edits I really take a lot of time to make sure that the edits are as seamless as possible and make sense musically. If I have to find a cymbal crash or a timpani roll from some other score to bridge the gap then I'll add them in.

Now as you know my own Horner suite contains some nasty edits that I think bother me more so than the rest of you.

-Erik-
    •  
    Eric wrote

Great !!! As a fan he sure took the best music, period punk Do you know the guy, Eric? Or you just happened to come across his mixes by accident, which is more likely?

And I'm not kidding, I've been wanting to do a Goldsmith megamix too, but seriously where the hell do you start? There's just too much to chose from. A difficult task, and I simply don't have enough musical knowledge to pick the right tracks and blend them together. I leave that to the professionals.

Erik Woods wrote
    Look, I'm no pro sound engineer or sound editor but when I do my edits I really take a lot of time to make sure that the edits are as seamless as possible and make sense musically. If I have to find a cymbal crash or a timpani roll from some other score to bridge the gap then I'll add them in.

Which is why I have nothing but respect for your opinion and ideas! Simply because...

Now as you know my own Horner suite contains some nasty edits that I think bother me more so than the rest of you.

-Erik-

...your mixes flow naturally and don't feel assembled in a couple of seconds. There's a lot of thought behind it. I've made some suites & mixes too over the years, mainly for video game music and I always want to do it too fast, I'm just impatient, and only occasionally it works. If you ever want to hear some of my mixes I'd be happy to share them with you bud. And for what it's worth, though I know you are your own worst critic: your Williams and Horner mix have nothing but the best edits. I enjoy listening to them every time. cool
  4. Symphonic Suites (Chris Hülsbeck)

A GODDAMN breath of fresh air in a world of stale and uninspired orchestral music. Check it out, hear it, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...your mixes flow naturally and don't feel assembled in a couple of seconds. There's a lot of thought behind it. I've made some suites & mixes too over the years, mainly for video game music and I always want to do it too fast, I'm just impatient, and only occasionally it works. If you ever want to hear some of my mixes I'd be happy to share them with you bud. And for what it's worth, though I know you are your own worst critic: your Williams and Horner mix have nothing but the best edits. I enjoy listening to them every time. cool

Thanks for your kind comments! They are much appreciated. As for your own mixes... I'm always interested in hearing fan mae mixes and compilations. Maybe I can give you a few pointers.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I need to get this one along with Bliss Things To Come. Gamba has done some fantastic work with this series, my favourites so far being The Film Music of Clifton Parker and RVW's Scott of The Antarctic ( familiar with either of these Erik? )

p.s. and the Ron Goodwin CD too....brilliant! punk

The Gamba/Chandos albums are indeed brilliant! Over the past few months my collection of Chandos releases has expanded quite a bit.

The Vaughan Williams albums are wonderful... a great introduction to his music for novice film music fans or people who are unfamiliar with his work

The Ron Goodwin album is the best! Not a dull cut on the album.

The Film Music of Malcolm Arnold Vol 1 contains one of my very favorite pieces; "The Sound Barrier, A Rhapsody for Orchestra Op.38." I play this any time I'm in for a long drive.

I just got the new Mischa Spoliansky compilation and the Arthur Bliss albim. Looking forward to spinning them both.

I have the Clifton Parker album unfortunately I haven't listened to it. sad

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll be very interested to hear your views on the Spoliansky album ( not heard anthing by this composer ) and the Bliss album, though I'm familiar with Things To Come ( and man, what a March that's got ), and of course the Clifton Parker which I enjoy a lot but haven't heard hardly any feedback from film music fans on this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote
    Stavroula wrote

YEAH BABY!!!!! punk punk

YEAH BABY INDEED !! smile

Some great action sequences on this one !!

Absolutely LOVE it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    Great !!! As a fan he sure took the best music, period punk Do you know the guy, Eric? Or you just happened to come across his mixes by accident, which is more likely?

And I'm not kidding, I've been wanting to do a Goldsmith megamix too, but seriously where the hell do you start? There's just too much to chose from. A difficult task, and I simply don't have enough musical knowledge to pick the right tracks and blend them together. I leave that to the professionals.

No Gilles , I don't know the guy at all - I just stumbled on his work through surfin' the net .
    If you want to listen to the Williams & Goldsmith mix let me know and I'll send you those links as well ... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm really glad you guys enjoyed them. Seriously. I just found some of the the edits to not make any sense musically. Some of the edits were odd... the Zorro/Willow thing was weird mainly because I think those two pieces are in a different key. I just found that the flow was disrupted by some jarring edits. Look, I'm no pro sound engineer or sound editor but when I do my edits I really take a lot of time to make sure that the edits are as seamless as possible and make sense musically. If I have to find a cymbal crash or a timpani roll from some other score to bridge the gap then I'll add them in.

-Erik-

I never heard any of your suites Erik , so I would love to listen to them ...
    Are they available somewhere ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Mighty Joe Young - James Horner

I've decided to revisit some Horner scores I haven't listened to in a while and I always remember this particular one used to be among my most frequently played. What the hell happened? - it's great!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings ~ Howard Shore

The begining of a wonderful journey!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...