• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Seeing as how he's going to get his own concert soon, I thought it was time that Umebayashi had a thread of his own, too.
    What's this guy's best score to date?
    In The Mood for Love, 2046, House of Flying Daggers, Curse of the Golden Flower?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    2046 and In the mood for love contain some of the best small-scale, chamber musical-like themes he has written and probably his most well-known to date. Very, very good material in there, both works, from start to finish.

House of the Flying Daggers is on a different league but contains some very prominent melodies as well, and colorful orchestration. A deeply recommended exotic score, especially his work with the Erhu.

Curse of the Golden Flower is a re-take on his Flying Daggers' material but not on that level of quality imo.

I'd say that 2046 is definitely the place to start for someone new in his music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    HotFD has a really really beautiful and IMO memorable love theme. I like the song at the end as well, which takes up English lyrics. The erhu plays a very prominent role as the lead instrument for the love theme, but yeah, it's an exotic score, with quite some impressive tracks.

What concert are you going Thomas?
    Kazoo
  1. I would have liked to hear Fearless being played as well

and what are you babling about Bregt?
    I'm going to this concert of course
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    HotFD has a really really beautiful and IMO memorable love theme. I like the song at the end as well, which takes up English lyrics. The erhu plays a very prominent role as the lead instrument for the love theme, but yeah, it's an exotic score, with quite some impressive tracks.

What concert are you going Thomas?

I prefer the orchestral take of the song, that chick's singing is too much for my ears!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I meant the other Thomas, aka fommes. wink
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I meant the other Thomas, aka fommes. wink

then say Fommes aka Thomas
    not Thomas?
    you were confusing me dizzy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    That Bregt, what a card eh!? rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    Too much Thomases in film music fandom, I say!

I think I'm going to the first Umebayashi concert - but should probably recheck that some time soon. Too bad you couldn't get tickets for the first one anymore.
    Which reminds me: how did this get sold out so quickly? It's not that big a name - relatively speaking of course. Sponsors?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Film music in Ghent: 14-17 October | Film music seminar with Shigeru Umebayashi

http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2009/ … -film.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How weird. I posted that as well. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks for the tips by the way - I've ordered House of Flying Daggers - been forever on my list anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    Yesterday was the concert of Shigeru Umebayashi. Short (only 75 minutes), not always very convincing as interesting material (his music doesn't work always very well outside its context) but the second was excellent. A long suite from House of the Flying Daggers (including the love song at the end, with that fabulous theme!), his most famous theme, Yumeji's Theme from Yumeji (and In the Mood for Love), the more upbeat Incendiary and Tears for Sale. 2046, which the concert opened with, was a great one too.

There was a strong percussion section, mainly for the action material of House of the Flying Daggers (with an awesome not on the cd solo percussion track!) and some solo's: violin, cello, horn (quite unique for Asian music) and exotic flutes.

And today was a film music seminary I attended. A first time for me (still waiting for franz's seminary once wink ) In the morning, there was a 'show and tell' about Chinese films and their use of sounds design and film music. Fragments of Won Kar-Wai's movies, Suzhou's River, some older films and the movies from the guy from House of the Flying Daggers. Not always very interesting (it was not always presented very well) but it gave me more info than I initially who'd have connected with the selected scenes. But if that always adds to the experience, I don't know. It certainly made me want to chck out Suzhou's River and ... oh shame ... In the Mood For Love.

In the afternoon, Shigeru was present to answer questions from the interviewer (and also translate his answer, since his English was limited. Apparently this is something typical Japanese they told me. Is that right Miya?). He talked about how he got from rock musician to film music (the latter giving him much more opportunities since rock is limited in its possibilities), how the theme from Yumeji got a whole new meaning in In the Mood for Love (an later in Blueberry Nights) and what we thought of it (everyone liked it more in In the Mood for Love), ...

In Japan it apparently is the rule to shoot a movie (including pre and post production) in about 3 months, so he also said that time is sometimes a limiting factor. And why he works so often with Chinese directors (and for example also the Olympc Games last year) is because Chinese cinema was influenced a lot by Japanese cinema, and therefore that he has no problems adapting.

He also works often in Europe, but he uses the same template of scoring a movie. He sits in his room with a piano, tries melodies etc, goes to the keyboard and then to his Macintosh (funny how he showed this on the stage).

He has a funny walk, and really is pleased by the success (the first concert was sold out in a couple of weeks, so a second concert was organised to handle the demand). Charming man, very respectful, not very talkative though. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Bregt, why shame? In the Mood for Love is a movie that'll get you thinking and dreaming, very, very good film. My Blueberry nights is a very sweet and mature love story, but much more relaxed and "urban" than In the mood for love. The three films however, together with 2046 are top cinematic experiences imo and the music is very enjoyable and melodic in all three of them.
  3. Shigeru is a very approachable guy to talk to. After his Q&A session at the SONCINEMAD he attended, although he had also used a translator he didn't shy away from people approaching him afterwards to talk to him. Though you had to remember to keep the discussions simple (his translator wasn't around at this point.)

He seemed very appreciative of the interest people had in his music. And he looked genuinely pleased when complements were given.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Did they play any of Ume's music from Hannibal Rising? His contributions to the film are very good, and so is Ilan Eshkeri's music for that matter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    Did they play any of Ume's music from Hannibal Rising? His contributions to the film are very good, and so is Ilan Eshkeri's music for that matter?

Totally agree, esp. Eshkeri's music which is surprisingly good! An underrated little gem this score is, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2009
    moviescore wrote

Yup, they played one track, 'Hollow Inside'.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Interview and fragments of the concert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxk4jCkCdFE
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Nice review, Bregt, and thanks for the summary of the seminar.

Apparently - I get this from the programme booklet - this was or will be broadcast on Belgacom TV (like the Williams concert last year). Anybody have that?
  4. The Concert was pretty good, though I would have loved if they played stuff from Fearless as well shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009
    A Single Man: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]
    Various Artists (Artist), Abel Korzeniowski (Artist), Shigeru Umebayashi (Artist)

CD COVER
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Man-Origin … mp;s=music
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    A Single Man: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]
    Various Artists (Artist), Abel Korzeniowski (Artist), Shigeru Umebayashi (Artist)

CD COVER
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Man-Origin … mp;s=music

Not the most exciting cover, but I'd be curious about the music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    Like the John Williams concert last year , the Shigeru Umebayashi concert is also available on Belgacom TV free of charge ... ;o)
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. if you have Belgacom of course smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    if you have Belgacom of course smile

I do , I do , I do ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    if you have Belgacom of course smile

Who doesn't have Belgacom? smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2010
    New compilation For the Record
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 10/#Item_5
    Kazoo
  6. Review of Umebayashi's "Trishna" for those interested.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube