• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009 edited
    Short background:
    Larry's written a moderate amount of scores: Nothing But the Truth, Resurrecting the Champ, Straw Dogs, etc. His most famous score seems to be Contender. He won an Emmy for his TV documentary Jonas Salk: Personally Speaking.

I'd visited Larry's site a few times and noticed his music downloads section, but I hadn't really stopped to listen or taken any special notice until I ran into a review for his new album, Excelsius. Apparently the score was written for a European documentary/drama that got axed. I've only listened to the Amazon.com samples, but it's pretty good stuff. I'm keeping this guy in my radar.

MP3 Downloads from Larry's site
    (Note: You need to request a password to listen)

Alright, discuss. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009
    Hasn't he done a lot of episodes of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES?

If memory serves, he's mostly a guitarist-type composer who composes laidback music in that idiom?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Jablonsky is the composer on DH.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was actually thinking of W.G. Snuffy Walden, now that I think of it. He's the "guitar guy" from DH. I've always confused him with Groupé, for some reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I was actually thinking of W.G. Snuffy Walden, now that I think of it. He's the "guitar guy" from DH. I've always confused him with Groupé, for some reason.

Walden IS the "guitar guy" but I don't think he's ever been involved in Desperate Housewives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Walden IS the "guitar guy" but I don't think he's ever been involved in Desperate Housewives.

Yes, he did at least one episode (the pilot?), maybe some more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Yes, he did at least one episode (the pilot?), maybe some more.

Steve Bartek scored the pilot and Steve Jablonsky has scored every episode since...
  2. Walden lists completing work on "Desperate Housewives"; maybe his score was replaced, but he there was an unaired pilot, so maybe he scored that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    Glad to see you guys are so familiar with his work. :P

I just figured out that there are more tracks for download on the Order CDs page (and this time you don't need to request a password). Take the time to listen to some of this stuff. He's good. It's definitely above average.

-Feliz
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    There is an amazing CD Excelcius by Larry Groupé that came out a few months ago.

If this would be a score, it would be in my top 3 wink 2009 really rocks! punk

Big choral music but also some very touching music for solo violin and solo piano. There is one cue that is a big African jubilating festival! Lion king fans be prepared! smile

Anyway, there are clips here: http://www.imperativarecords.com/?page=detail&pid=3

and also audio clips on itunes.

Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another for me to explore
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    There is an amazing CD Excelcius by Larry Groupé that came out a few months ago.

If this would be a score, it would be in my top 3 wink 2009 really rocks! punk

Big choral music but also some very touching music for solo violin and solo piano. There is one cue that is a big African jubilating festival! Lion king fans be prepared! smile

Anyway, there are clips here: http://www.imperativarecords.com/?page=detail&pid=3

and also audio clips on itunes.

Highly recommended.

Recommendation seriously noted! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the clips do sound pretty good
  3. Ain't too familiar with this composer's work, but saw Resurrecting the Champ (good movie by the way) and I was happy that the lovely tune at the end of its trailer happened to be the lovely main theme of the score

nice smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Tintin wrote

...Highly recommended.
    I'll second that! At the risk of sounding like some infomercial, I strongly suggest this be the next album you buy. I got Excelcius a few weeks ago and have been listening to it over an over again ever since, and I rarely do that. It's definitely some of the best stuff I've heard the last few years! I thought it would be all trailer-style action music stuff, but it's not. It's a good variety of heroic anthems, softer dramatic tracks, some action and even a tribal track and a hymn. Groupe is beginning to convince me that he has a real knack for strong, memorable themes, more than anyone I've heard in a while. He's quickly moving up my favorite composers list. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    Ah, that sounds very interesting!

Here's its info

CD COVER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music

Product Details

* Audio CD (March 30, 2010)
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Label: Imperativa Records
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    WOW! Listen to the sound clips, here.

Excelsius
    Larry Groupe (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

Product Details
    Audio CD (March 30, 2010)
    Number of Discs: 1
    Label: Imperativa Records

I can wholeheartedly reinforce the above gentlemen's words about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Excelsius-Larry-G … mp;s=music

click on "preview all tracks"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    From the composer's website:

"Excelsius" CD release is now available!

This is a collection of orchestral themes composed and conducted by Larry
    Groupé recorded at Abbey Road with the London Philharmonic and choir!
    Available now for purchase through Imperativa Records website;
    click on link below. It is also available at the iTunes store.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    ...It is also available at the iTunes store.

And other digital outlets!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Cue from his score to "Straw Dogs":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4n5Dt7-Ngc
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011 edited
    I love what Groupe did with Straw Dogs. Herrmann was definitely an influence but not to the extent of plagiarism. I like the choice of using a conventional score- the wonderful dramatic orchestral sound. It's goes to show you that you can have a terrific haunting and original score without all the ethereal synths and distortions that I feel are overused in today's film music. There's a time and place for that medium. With balance, synth color can be great but it wouldn't have worked for this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011
    Very spot-on, Christian. I agree.
  6. Actually, Larry does use some synth in this score. If you listen closely to the opening cue, and several of the cues in which the main theme is present, you can hear that he added a layer of synth echo effects doubling the violins. It's subtle, and it doesn't detract from the orchestral performance at all, but it does give the cue a sort of ethereal feeling which I really like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, he's not using it the primal instrument though which is what, for instance, Tyler Bates does. Now excuse me while i am off to wash my mouth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, he's not using it the primal instrument though which is what, for instance, Tyler Bates does. Now excuse me while i am off to wash my mouth.

My point exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    I did give a reference to Straw Dogs not having any synth by not accurately articulating my thoughts about the score clearly so in Jon's defense, thank you for pointing that out- you are correct.

I don't want to get on the whole synth debate as it is all opinion but if used properly, as an instrument it can be effective in adding that missing factor which Larry did well.

Bottom line, I enjoyed the score and applaud Larry for a job well done. Dissecting a score often times takes away from the experience from me unless it's a score begging to be torn apart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    I like what I hear in Straw Dogs. I remember walking out of the Dustin Hoffmann 1971 version. Way too much violence for me. I won't see the remake.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quite Hermannesque
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I like what I hear in Straw Dogs. I remember walking out of the Dustin Hoffmann 1971 version. Way too much violence for me. I won't see the remake.
    Tom

Considering those scenes are still very violent even by todays standard it must have been shocking to see that on film in 1971.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt