• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. This could be re-opening a can of worms for all i know, but I've been meaning to ask why we need so many sticky threads?

I can see an argument for three of them:
    - some combination of the new members and profile threads into one;
    - the emoticon list;
    - and maybe (though I suspect noone really pays attention to it) quoting for dummies

The rest feel like topics that are relevant when there's a new post, and not otherwise. Ie. they're like every other thread on the board, except for some reason, sticky.

Just my two cents.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    When I open the page in my browser, I can see nine threads - only three of which are not stickies. A shame!
  2. Shouldn't this topic be stickied? wink

I agree that there are too many topics that are stickied. I'd rather see just "housekeeping" topics flagged.

For other topics that have a transient level of perceived importance then the frequency of posting to that topic will keep it at the top. And if it's seen as being not too important it will disappear down the page(s).

NP: The Oxford Murders - Roque Baños
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (Just to point out, I didn't make my Quoting for Dummies thread a sticky... that was Martijn. I was neither for or opposed to it.)
  3. That one should be unstickied, I think. It's weird to have a sticky thread that's closed as well!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a useful one though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hmm? I use to try to post in the appropriate thread if possible on something that I was writing about but if I couldn't I'd start a new thread. Result=you can't do that. Now I have a thread where I can and its being criticized. Is this a polite way of just saying don't comment anymore. I think my film music a neglected art stays.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  4. The thread is not being criticised, it's sticky status is being questioned, and you are hardly being singled out, since I'm criticising the multiplicity of these sticky threads in general. smile

But perhaps you can answer why A Neglected Art has to be sticky, when no other review site is? Every time you post an update, the thread will be pushed to the top of the message board anyway. It's a little odd that one review site has a permament home up there, while even the reviews for this website (maintitles.net) don't.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And since it's a review topic that is posted in regularly, you should have no concern for it not to frequently be at the top. It just doesn't need to be there when it's not in use. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Hmm? I use to try to post in the appropriate thread if possible on something that I was writing about but if I couldn't I'd start a new thread. Result=you can't do that. Now I have a thread where I can and its being criticized. Is this a polite way of just saying don't comment anymore. I think my film music a neglected art stays.

Ho Tom. Nobody even mentioned your thread above your comment, let alone saying it needed to be removed. Don't act so quickly like everyone complains about you or your comments. That is not true. Why would it need to be removed?

Anyway, on topic. I will remove the ones mentioned above.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

You're right Tom, asking why there are so many sticky threads is exactly the same as asking people specifically not to comment anymore!

In fact, it's probably best that MT is shut down to avoid the risk of any new threads and comments being made entirely. After all, that's exactly what Michael is getting at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael is an evil sneaky b.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the "emoticon" thread should remain a sticky...or even better: there should just be a resource where all of them were listed (without any replies).

I'm also not sure about Tom's review thread being a sticky. Nothing against Tom and his reviews, but I'm not sure he should have "special privileges" in this regard. After all - and as everyone points out - the thread is thrown to the front once he adds another post to it.

My two cents, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote

And Tim too;
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Perhaps we need a small list on the right that only shows the "infinite sticky threads"?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And a list of the names of mt "evil sneaky b's"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And Tim too;

Moi!??

devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What about me!? I'm a basterd too! angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    What about me!? I'm a basterd too! angry

But of course! A triumvirate of wickedness is now complete! devil
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Abi Titmus should have starred in this thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm considering banning people.
    Any nominations?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I made it a regular thread. I would encourage all of you to bookmark my site and check from time to time. If I remember correctly the sticky and the thread was a compromise around not starting new threads for each review. Many were in on the change.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/

When I feel it is appropriate I will put up a review to maintitles directly. I'm not offended by any of this. I actually have two choices. Go along with the majority or just not post. That is fair.
    Thomas
  5. You can still update the regular thread. I didn't have anything against it being sticky, too.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It is not that you are not allowed to post Tom. Whoever said that? Everyone can link to their reviews, or any other site. I've no problems with that.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    It is not that you are not allowed to post Tom. Whoever said that? Everyone can link to their reviews, or any other site. I've no problems with that.

I said I have two choices.

Erik told me and I listened to him sometime ago that I should promote my site by starting a thread on the review at all of the film music sites ie FSM, Intrada, etc. This is an example.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

As a group you decided you didn't want this so I stopped but we did agree on one thread and having it on the main page seemed to be agreeable to all, thus the sticky.

Naxos sends me material such as Metropolis and what I try to do is sift through the material and try to find classical works I think you might be interested in. I've chosen not to post each review on Maintitles as many find it uninteresting but I do include everything on Film Music: A Neglected Art.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sorry Tom, I don't read reviews, so I won't be bookmarking anything. I don't even read reviews on MT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That is your choice. You decide on what to buy in other ways.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think there's not always enough discussion to warrant a new thread, and I can imagine on FSM there's much more feedback. But again, I have not really a problem with new threads for (bigger) releases, and reviews linking to it.

Please keep adding your reviews to your site page, and composer pages. And for Exodus, I think there's a separate topic too. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    As a group you decided you didn't want this so I stopped but we did agree on one thread and having it on the main page seemed to be agreeable to all, thus the sticky.

That all seems very sensible - and every time you update the topic, it will appear on the first page of the forum - just as when the other Thomas updates the thread about maintitles.net reviews, that appears on the first page, or when I update my own reviews thread, that appears on the front page. All seems sensible to me!