• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    I´m more worried about the graphic card you need to run the game, if not at full power, at least at a reasonable level of detail.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    No Russian... That is all! shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sylvos wrote
    Really tempted to get this one but it's insanely pricey for PS3. Does it really worth £32 (current price tag at Amazon)?

£32, that's bloody cheap, buy immediately!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    No Russian... That is all! shocked

-Erik-

I honestly don't see how this is any different from GTA which has been around for years, yet everyones making a fuss out of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Anthony wrote
    I honestly don't see how this is any different from GTA which has been around for years, yet everyones making a fuss out of it.

Probably because such a practice in GTA is optional but from my understanding of that video above it's a part of the mission in MW2 and you must do it.

I actually think developers do want people to make a fuss of such scenarios. These controversies probably work far better than any other marketing schemes for a video game right now.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But it's a completely optional level. Before the game even loads for the first time it says some levels may be disturbing and if you wish it will warn you and let you skip if it you don't want to play it. Once again it's the press getting their panties in a twist over nothing new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    The only thing that worries me from scenarios like that is some moron attempting a real-life experiment of them at some airport, which is inevitable if you ask me. Jeez, do game developing studios employ sick people these days or what?
  1. People imitating those simulated events are the real sickos. Their behavior is not a result of the violent videogames, it's the result of bad upbringing, poor education and no moral understanding.

Games are getting grittier, they're actually imitating real life, so what is sicker? Games or reality?

I've killed thousands of people in all my years, virtual of course, but never have I felt the urge to do that for real. On the contrary I will avoid conflict.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    If there was a level where you had to rape six-year-old girls would that be OK? Because it's optional? Because it's only a game? I don't get the logic.
  2. To my knowledge such a thing has luckily never been done in a game, because seriously that's crossing the line. Kids are not to be treated that way, virtual or not. Developers wouldn't even dare to try to go there.

But killing, as long as you're confronted with your actions and you understand why you're fighting, like say in a war shooter like Modern Warfare 2 can be a very harrowing experience, if done well. It's important to give the player a moral understanding of why they're doing what they're doing. Games are definitely going into that direction, as graphics have matured, and it's not all 'kill that monster' or 'shoot that spider' anymore.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    I'd have thought killing the monster was preferable to killing the civilians!

But really, I was just trying to provoke thought about where you draw the line.
  3. I think murder is wrong even in a video game.

I make an exception for storm troopers. They're just clones, anyway smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    I am with DT. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but as life, games too (reflecting life and society) are getting more realistic, more cynical, more violent. But the excuse of "the game made me do it" is completely retarded, if you're to go out rape and kill or drive like a maniac and kill innocent drivers or pedestrians, then you're surely a sick fuck from before, just looking for an excuse.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    Don't forget that the media have an awful lot of influence as well, basically saying to the masses: don't buy this game, because it's evil. I still remember the shitstorm on an American news station because of a so-called nude sex scene in Mass Effect, where in reality you saw practically nothing. And they forgot to mention that the love scene (more appropriate) was the culmination of true development between two characters and natural dialogue. So it made a lot of sense. All they saw was: sex in a videogame (that is aimed at adults), so it must be evil and violent.

Check out this insane broadcast. Hypocrites. face-palm-mt

The media likes to pin videogames at the cross every chance they get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I remember how a particularly gory and graphic scene in the third Hitman game (involving a psychopath raping and brutally mutilating a kidnapped teenage girl in a slaughterhouse) really turned me off and I didn't play the game again. I had gotten it only because a friend recommended it (the second Hitman game was awesome but this level in the third was really sick), and when I returned the CD to him and told him why I didn't like it, he began to explain how this stuff is called *real* and *macho* gaming, and anyone who's disgusted by it is a pussy. Oh well, good for him. tongue There are many games in good taste out there without having to resort to sick stuff like the aforementioned.

BTW, I'm hearing the MW2 score might be released as a download quite soon. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't forget that the media have an awful lot of influence as well, basically saying to the masses: don't buy this game, because it's evil.

And - as was ever thus - that will make a lot of people buy it. All publicity is good publicity...
  4. Such a scene shouldn't leave you emotionless, by calling it macho gaming or some other nonsense... So if you're not turned of by it, you're a pussy? That's stupid. I'm sure it was the developers intent to make it disturbing and make the player react by being turned off and feeling depressed. If you actually enjoy such scenes, then you're basically sick.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    BTW, I'm hearing the MW2 score might be released as a download quite soon. punk

But it's awful. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Isn't gaming mostly fighting against bad people? When in war, you won't just shoot anyone in the head?

But then, I'm not a gamer.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am with DT. There are lines that shouldn't be crossed, but as life, games too (reflecting life and society) are getting more realistic, more cynical, more violent. But the excuse of "the game made me do it" is completely retarded, if you're to go out rape and kill or drive like a maniac and kill innocent drivers or pedestrians, then you're surely a sick fuck from before, just looking for an excuse.

True D. In fact sick people can be influenced by far less violent things like a line in a John Lennon song or a passage from a JD Salinger book.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Bregt wrote
    Isn't gaming mostly fighting against bad people? When in war, you won't just shoot anyone in the head?

But then, I'm not a gamer.

Mostly. In Modern Warfare 2 the controversy is that one mission has the player as a terrorist who massacres civilians on an airport.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ah.

Ouch. confused
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

True D. In fact sick people can be influenced by far less violent things like a line in a John Lennon song or a passage from a JD Salinger book.

True. Bless his soul.

http://imgur.com/ohSH4.jpg
  6. Bregt wrote
    Ah.

Ouch. confused

You can turn off that mission if it's too emotional to you, there are warnings. But really, when I think of it.

It's easy to judge people (I haven't played the game yet, but a friend of mine promised me to let me do that if I come visit her) and then again you're put in a situation where you have to TAKE THE POINT OF VIEW. Do you remember the idea behind Battlestar Galactica, when in second season humans are making suicide bombings during the Cylon occupation? That's where we kinda are. When you have to CONSCIOUSLY murder civilians, it changes a point of view. It's a provocation, but it's also thought-provoking. If civilians are expendable (how scary does it sound in the first place?), then what mind does it demand to kill them? How do you feel? You're put in that situation and? How would you behave? But you HAVE to? What is war then?

I find this level idea fascinating for people who are intelligent and sensitive.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And for anyone who does whine about it, look where the character you play in that level is at the end of it. Betrayed by the terrorist leader and shot in the head.
  7. That's interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't forget that the media have an awful lot of influence as well, basically saying to the masses: don't buy this game, because it's evil. I still remember the shitstorm on an American news station because of a so-called nude sex scene in Mass Effect, where in reality you saw practically nothing. And they forgot to mention that the love scene (more appropriate) was the culmination of true development between two characters and natural dialogue. So it made a lot of sense. All they saw was: sex in a videogame (that is aimed at adults), so it must be evil and violent.

Check out this insane broadcast. Hypocrites. face-palm-mt

The media likes to pin videogames at the cross every chance they get.

Like Christian organizations and churches burning books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Ah.

Ouch. confused

You can turn off that mission if it's too emotional to you, there are warnings. But really, when I think of it.

It's easy to judge people (I haven't played the game yet, but a friend of mine promised me to let me do that if I come visit her) and then again you're put in a situation where you have to TAKE THE POINT OF VIEW. Do you remember the idea behind Battlestar Galactica, when in second season humans are making suicide bombings during the Cylon occupation? That's where we kinda are. When you have to CONSCIOUSLY murder civilians, it changes a point of view. It's a provocation, but it's also thought-provoking. If civilians are expendable (how scary does it sound in the first place?), then what mind does it demand to kill them? How do you feel? You're put in that situation and? How would you behave? But you HAVE to? What is war then?

I find this level idea fascinating for people who are intelligent and sensitive.

I guess it's fun. All humans have basic animal instincts of survival, no matter if most "modern", "civilized" western society inhabitants won't admit it, part of which are satisfied with such fun points of unwinding the subconscious and it's pretty normal i think, the whole niches and fetishes of all kinds people have. But when you step the line and actually think of bringing them upon others in the real life or even worse, when you actually do them, then you're pretty much fucked up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Ah.

Ouch. confused

A good view on what the developers were aiming for: to make the player feel the consequences of his actions. If you come out of that level anything else than mentally devastated, than you've missed the entire point.

And I'm sensitive, so this level should turn my stomach around.

Nice post Pawel.