• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    As for the old "you are not a father you don't know" argument i find it completely stupid, i am sorry. Just because i don't have my own kid yet does that mean that i can't have a social opinion? And when i do have my own kid (time and other factors and deities permitting) or my own daughter or son, she or he is going to do some stuff i won't like and will probably never find out, no matter how much a pouritanist bastard i might be. And that counts for almost all fathers and their daughters and sons, i am afraid. In fact, most social cases suggest these days that the more strict and puritanist you are, the more jiggy your kids are going to get with it, behind your back.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Sorry, I wanted to keep out, but...

Christodoulides wrote
    ...when i do have my own kid (...) or my own daughter or son

biggrin
    So a boy or a girl...
    ...or a little goat. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    In fact, most social cases suggest these days that the more strict and puritanist you are, the more jiggy your kids are going to get with it, behind your back.

Well, not if you lock them up until they are 25.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    But Tom... that sort of STUFF actually happens and happened to these characters in the film! You might not like it but it showed what actually happens in REAL LIFE. Tom, you'd be shocked as to what goes on in college dorms these days.

As for the TIME article... Mark can say whatever he wants. That's not true, this is true, yada, yada, yada.

The script for the film was based off the non-fiction work THE ACCIDENTAL BILLIONAIRES in which Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin served as author Ben Mezrich's main consultant. Mezrich got most of his information from court documents and Eduardo Saverin himself.

So who's telling the truth and who's lying. Sure, you could say that Saverin has a grudge but I'd be more that sure that a lot of what happened in the book and in the film actually happened including all the womanizing!

As for my wife, Tom... you don't know her and you don't have the first clue as to what she likes and dislikes. She really, really enjoyed the film and was right here by my side afterwards as we a spent a few hours researching for more information about Zuckerberg, the Facebook phenomenon and the making of the film itself.

-Erik-

PS - Do you wanna know what my wife's favorite film is? I'll give you three guesses.

As far as your wife is concerned I apologize. You're 100% correct. I don't have a clue as to how she feels and I should have never made the comment in the first place.

I tend to believe Zuckerberg as he didn't choose himself for man of the year, Time did, and as a result he had to participate in the article. He really has more important things in his life anyway.

I have a pretty darn good idea of what goes on in these dorms. Having said that I went onto college to further my education. And yes I did get involved in drugs and women and it nearly cost me my life. To this day there are scars that will never heal. One of the things that I do today is to try and help those who became physically addicted to the cocaine, crystal meth, and alcohol. I'm not a prude I know. I get to read almost daily about a drunk driving accident, drug overdose, suicide, or rape and that is in this country. Of course we have the executions that go on in Mexico.

In conclusion, if this is the best that Hollywood has to offer I'm not impressed.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    In fact, most social cases suggest these days that the more strict and puritanist you are, the more jiggy your kids are going to get with it, behind your back.

Amen.

AMEN.

Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Predator.... the answer to the question what is my wife's favorite film? Predator!

BEST. WIFE. EVER!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Sorry, I wanted to keep out, but...

Christodoulides wrote
    ...when i do have my own kid (...) or my own daughter or son

biggrin
    So a boy or a girl...
    ...or a little goat. wink

I'd wish it'll be a goat wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Predator.... the answer to the question what is my wife's favorite film? Predator!

BEST. WIFE. EVER!

-Erik-

You lucky......>>>!@@!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

BEST. WIFE. EVER!

-Erik-

shocked shocked shocked

I would not have guessed in a zillion guesses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Predator was on TV the other night and when the main title began she got all giddy... just like I do when I watch Raiders. It's hilarious!

She also digs The Shawshank Redemption and Amelie... but she is a sucker for B-movies, cheesy horror films. She nearly freaked out when she saw the trailer to Piranha 3D. Right up her alley!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The sad part are the innocent lives that are taken. The only thing I can do is be the best example I can in life. By paying money to see this film I participated in the nonsense and I'm sorry I did. I'll be more selective in the future. On the other hand what I feel is not illegal or evil and I must say that you really make me feel that way.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    What nonsense did you participate in exactly? I really think you completely missed the point of the film all together!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tom you're confused man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    What nonsense did you participate in exactly? I really think you completely missed the point of the film all together!

-Erik-

Nonsense was a poor choice of a word. I should have never paid money to see the film. The point of the film was how Facebook started grew and evolved.

What I did in college is none of your business.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Nonsense was a poor choice of a word. I should have never paid money to see the film. The point of the film was how Facebook started grew and evolved.

And... that's exactly what was shown in the film... dizzy

But there is much more to the story than just the founding of Facebook and its evolution. It's about the PEOPLE who discovered Facebook and what they were experiencing during the time of it's evolution and how it directly affected their lives for better and worse.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

And... that's exactly what was shown in the film... dizzy

But there is much more to the story than just the founding of Facebook and its evolution. It's about the PEOPLE who discovered Facebook and what they were experiencing during the time of it's evolution and how it directly affected their lives for better and worse.

-Erik-

And changed both:

1. The internet
    1. Our lives

There's a pretty good reason why the film was made and i applaud it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Indeed, D... indeed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't think I would fully trust an article about Mark Zuckerman in which he is also interviewed. I'd go to WikiPedia or Google to read the true story.

As for the scenes described above: that never happened to me. biggrin slant
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BABEL

What a load of pretentious fookin' CRAP!

I want those hours back!!! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    I don't think I would fully trust an article about Mark Zuckerman in which he is also interviewed. I'd go to WikiPedia or Google to read the true story.

As for the scenes described above: that never happened to me. biggrin slant

Don't ever believe anything you read especially from Time magazine. It was all lies. Zuckerman is a phony and they just wanted to sell copies of the magazine.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    ...and they just wanted to sell copies of the magazine.

Finally making some sense. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Southall wrote
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The final 30-40 minutes are so good that I almost forgot the abject tedium of the previous two hours. Almost. Still, I now greatly look forward to seeing the series' finale.

I'm probably the only person on Earth who hasn't seen any of the Potter films ... shame
    But I don't feel too guilty about it ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    ...and they just wanted to sell copies of the magazine.

Finally making some sense. wink

-Erik-

My behavior makes no sense. I've wasted a small part of my life over this.
    thomas
  1. Martijn wrote
    No, as I said: I haven't, which makes this conversation pretty interesting. smile

Seriously (and as I said earlier): I find the principle of the thing interesting. Not the particulars.
    And based on Franz' comment (and now yours as well) , it's pretty clear those scene(s) had a clear purpose and meaning that enhances understanding and/or empathy with the story. I'm perfectly happy with that (as much as mere exploitation annoys and bores me).

Where Tom is coming from is is that I think he wanted the behaviour to be judged or indicated to be clearly bad. Fincher & Sorkin both tend to let these things speak for themselves though, rather than feel they have to put the moral high ground into the story. In America it's not uncommon to be lambasted for not positioning a clear moral framework in the story. The recent Australian crime film ANIMAL KINGDOM may have fallen afoul of this with some American reviewers because characters don't appear to suffer in some way for their ill deeds.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Timmer wrote
    BABEL

What a load of pretentious fookin' CRAP!

I want those hours back!!! slant

Now that I must agree with. Brilliant filmmaking, but it's so not worth it.

Now if you took SYRIANA's script, combined it with this guy's skills in image-making, they might have had something. (A less talky version of SYRIANA for one.)

After being bowled over by BLACK SWAN on the weekend, I went back to FOUNTAIN again and watched it. There are some things I really like about the film, but mostly this doesn't work. BLACK SWAN is about something incredible -- but it's about something elusive as well. We get the impression that things we see must mean something else, and we wonder about what that might be while being caught up in what's happening. (And what an ending, wow.) But FOUNTAIN - like BABEL - isn't about anything else than what's on screen. There is nothing implied, it's all shown. I think FOUNTAIN could have gone another way, based on some of the ideas I've been told it's meant to embody, but the edit as it currently stands is a closed circle with awkward executions of some ideas (particularly in the Spanish section). It just feels like an exercise in intercutting. A stylish, distinctive, well-done-on-a-low-budget exercise in intercutting, but not more than the sum of what's onscreen.

Unlike SWAN.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're right about the guys skills in image making, Michael, some of it was stunning and it was the one thing that stopped me turning it off.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw The Black Swan a few weeks ago and it was all rather meh! I think the hype killed it for me because I remember drooling over The Wrestler (which ever one loved) but I didn't get the same feeling from this movie. I will say though that the soundtrack is incredible! I love the mix of Mansell and Tchaikovsky's music. The cinematography is marvelous! Superb special effects. But I found the story to be rather predictable - the journeyman dancer gets her big break in the place of the old washed up dancer. Some new, out going, flamboyant new girl comes to town... from where? San Francisco of course. Then you have the unlikeable director... where have I seen this all before... oh yeah, the 1995 classic Showgirls. [spoiler]Portman goes crazy - which I really did buy and then she eventually finds her inner Black Swan, dances her perfect dance and then dies.[/spoiler] Oh hum.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie but I don't see all the fuss. Even Portman was rather... ordinary. Hell, if I was handing out Oscars I would have given Portman one a long, long time ago for her fantastic role in Leon.

And don't get me started on THE FOUNTAIN.

-Erik-
  3. I haven't seen WRESTLER. I need to.
    But I do think comparisons of BLACK SWAN to SHOWGIRLS probably indicate that this ain't the film for thee. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Both my wife and I had the same thought. We'd seen The Black Swan before... at least we've heard a similar story. Let me tell you I'd rather see Showgirls again! It's so bad it's good.

-Erik-