• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    Yup!

Leffe is indeed popular and very good, but sadly it's part of the Inbev brand. The Belgian/Brazlilian/whatnot Inbev is the second largest or so beer company in the world (they bought Budweiser for some reason rolleyes ). They are a bit to blame the diminish of traditional beer breweries in Belgium unfortunately. So I prefer to drink beers not from Inbev, which means not much Jupiler, Stella, Hoegaarden, Belle-Vue, ... but lots of Rodenbach, Duvel, Primus, ...

envy

I love Leffe Blonde especially out of the tap. The banana flavour that pops out of it is irresistible! But it costs a fortune to buy from the liquor store. $14.95 CAN for six bottled. Hell, all beers in Canada are over priced. I'm also a lover of Hoegaarden. Next to Leffe it's my favorite session beer. I can easily get destroyed on Hoegaarden.

Bregt wrote
    Still, we're the only country in the world that still uses oak barrels to let the beer grow, and we're the only country that brews beer with spontaneous fermentation! Belgian tradition ftw! punk

Actually, Innis and Gunn use oak barrels to age their beer's as well. Their distinct malt whiskey bourbon flavour is what makes it one of my favourite brews to have with poultry and a really good steak. Oh, and their rum casket aged beers are friggin' dynamite, too.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    My source is incorrect then. I was told so at the brewery. Good to hear it's still used more than I thought.

Leffe here is not expensive (albeit a little overpriced in a bar: 3EUR for one glass), and a regular pint (25cl) is just 1.6EUR.

I'd like to taste these Innis ad Gunn too. Are these Canadian?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Bregt wrote
    I'd like to taste these Innis ad Gunn too. Are these Canadian?

Scottish
    http://www.innisandgunn.com/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010 edited
    Erik, sounds like you can get a hold of Innis & Gunn beers more easily than I can!

I certainly pick up some bottles when I find them!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik, sounds like you can get a hold of Innis & Gunn beers more easily than I can!

That's so odd! The LCBO is always stocked. They even had their Christmas sampler out last year which is where I first had the Rum Casket version. They also produce a lighter blond beer but that could be seasonal as well. Anyway, hopefully you can find a bottle or two down your way.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010
    Yesterday was a warm and sunny spring day, in other words: a beer day!

I had Korenwolf white beer. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    World Beer Awards
    http://www.tastingbeers.com/awards/wba/2010/

Six Belgian beers won a prize, including my favourite Rodenbach Grand Cru (in the category World’s Best Dark Ale - Flavoured). Yummie!

Off to a pub, where there's no Rodenbach unfortunately. But LaChouffe!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    Not surprising that Belgian beer won. I've long wanted to go to Belgium to have a pub-to-pub round.

Today, I bought a bottle of Foster beer to go with my pizza & potatoe chips (expensive import, but the hell, it's one of my favs). Plus a six-pack of regular Tuborg, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    You know who to call when in Belgium!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    That's it... I'm moving to Belgium and becoming a monk at Westvleteren!

And since I just can't up root my family at the moment I will just have to enjoy my Gouden Carolus Classic which is going down so well on this wonderful summer evening!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Now I'm back in the Netherlands, I've become really disappointed with the fact you can hardly, if ever, order a lemon drink, let alone an ICED one, in our bars. 7-up would come closest. Sigh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    That's it... I'm moving to Belgium and becoming a monk at Westvleteren!

And since I just can't up root my family at the moment I will just have to enjoy my Gouden Carolus Classic which is going down so well on this wonderful summer evening!

You enjoy our beer the right way! punk

BobdH wrote
    Now I'm back in the Netherlands, I've become really disappointed with the fact you can hardly, if ever, order a lemon drink, let alone an ICED one, in our bars. 7-up would come closest. Sigh.

I so want one. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote

Shiiiit. Iced lemon drink is mandatory in summer! crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I know! At least it doesn't really feel like summer around here, with the grey sky, low temperature, wind and rain (though I'm not sure yet how that's a consolation? confused). Ah well, now I'll just have to spend next summer in Ubeda again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Honestly, I didn't know this kind of drink wasn't produced everywhere. I mean, it's really simple: lemon, ice and water. No secret ingredients, no laborious production process,.... somebody should open a franchise in the Netherlands and Belgium, probably a wealthy business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, somehow it didn't really find a market around here. We've had the Fanta Lemon version in shops, and bottled it's probably available still (though not everywhere), but it's rare around here to find it in bars. 7UP/Sprite is a lot more popular and kinda similar, so that's what the bars are getting (and non-alcoholic drinks are in short supply anyway... I was very surprised to find such a popular non-alcoholic drink in Spain! Over here, non-alcoholic in the bar-scene is generally not-done...).

It's like Cassis, which is the same thing but with black berries. It's readily available in the Netherlands, but nowhere to be found in Spain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The drink here that reminds me of countries like Spain is that lemonade without gas... there's orange, lemon and other flavours... Can't think of the name right now!

I'll take a look in the store today.

What I like about countries like Austria is that you can get all kinds of berry juices like Johannesbeere juice, both in store and at a bar. I love red fruits.
    lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well it's the classic lemon-ade, isn't it Marcel? (Minus the sugar)
    The main reason we lost touch with it "up here" is because you really only can make it yourself...and we've become such a consumption society that we do not even think of these things (any more) unless they're available in shops first!

We currently have some varieties in thes upermarket, the most oddball of which is water with a very little bit of fruit juice added. Quite expensive too. (I could never ever ever understand why people BUY water in The Netherlands: for MANY decades we have had the cleanest, purest, healthiest tap water in the WORLD... but then some mogul decided that the only real water tasted slightly salty and came in oddly-shaped, multi-coloured bottles. And needed to be expensive.)

Now, whenever I ask for tap water -whether in a commercial venue or at people's homes- people just look strangely at me.
    With one exception: a lovely Spanish tapas restaurant cl;ose to mine, where they always out of their own accord bring a canister of cooled tap water with whatever you order. With a few slices of lemon. smile

A very good but rather expensive variety on the "just add water" lemon drinks is the lemon syrup currently put out by vitamin megacorp Karvan Cevitam. Very tasty and lasts for a very long time. (I think this may be the one you meant, Bregje?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    With one exception: a lovely Spanish tapas restaurant cl;ose to mine, where they always out of their own accord bring a canister of cooled tap water with whatever you order. With a few slices of lemon. smile

You have a tapas restaurant close to you? Nice! you can have patatas bravas all the time! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And I do. Believe you me. lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True. I find it incredible how many people don't drink tap water? confused It's cheap, it's always there. We have a Brita filter can because sometimes it taste very calciumy, and that helps fine.

About the patatas bravas. I had it as my first meal in Sevilla, and it was just fried potatoes with ketchup and mayonaise. Tourist trap restaurant! They also served small sandwiches, which we thought could eat while waiting for food. But when asking the check, they asked us 1EUR for it. Later, we learned that even when we did not eat those sandwiches, they asked money for it. Really, almost every time we had lunch or dinner. So each time we had to tell them we didn't eat those. Is this normal?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Charging for them when you eat them is normal.
    In fact, this is the case through the whole of southern Europe.

We're just not used to that as in the north-western hemisphere, these things tend to be complimentary.

WHat ISN'T normal is to be charged even if you DON'T eat them.
    Many restaurants won't be thrilled about it as it's not normal to NOT eat them (for locals as well), but the principle of the thing is that if you didn't ask for it, and didn't use it, you don't have to pay.

To avoid confusion and annoying or embarassing situations later, next time ask the waiter to take the bread(sticks) away as you will not use them. That case, there can be no misunderstanding about the bill.

Oh, and patatas bravas done well are wonderful: baked in garlic and tomato with olive oil. YUM YUM!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mmmmmm! patatas bravas Mmmmmmmm! lick

I'm feeling hungry.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Many restaurants won't be thrilled about it as it's not normal to NOT eat them (for locals as well)

Oh! dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    My dear wifey had waaaay too many reds last night. Very rarely does she drink like that. But anyway, she did last night and holy crap, what a mess! Our bed linen will never be the same!
    Bi carb soda and vinegar does a good job removing red wine stains though I must say! dizzy
    Had to get that off my chest. Sorry guys!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oh dear dizzy spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Found some Chimay White Caps last night. Mmmmmm... but I'm still on the hunt for the ever illusive Blue Cap.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    Just thought I'd share with you all... especially all you beer fans... that I just had my very first Duvel Abbey Ale! This brew proves yet again that Belgium is home to the best beer in the world. What a delightfully deceptive brew. It's 8.5% but I can't taste a lick of alcohol. The beer is light in color but strong and fruity... its oooooh so easy to drink. i could easily get lost in this brew. Oh, a the glass that came in the gift pack is fucking gorgeous!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010 edited
    punk

Properly done as well! Foam needs to split the word Duvel in half. A famous beer here in Belgium, quite popular. Thor will agree with you! He tasted it this past weekend when he was in Ghent. As for me, I like it as well, but it's a very heavy beer that is not for regular drinking. wink

Great to hear you love our beer so much, and also seek out the gems! cheesy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    A few of those and you're upside down around a pole ! biggrin

We still don't have a government but we do have bloody good beer and chocolate ! wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"