• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Hey man - I'm truly glad you enjoy the LOTR recordings. Some like dry studio recordings others prefer distant concert sounds. Each to their own. Again, I think they could have achieved the "big sound" without the loss of certain details in the music. Again, I point you to scores like Final Fantasy and The Mummy Returns.

-Erik-

PS - I'm with you on Wallin... however, Ratatouille sounds amazing!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, Ratatouille sounds very amazing. So amazing, in fact, that listening to it created a whole new enjoyment of "French" instruments which previously I had loathed.

Erik, could you point to a specific example of a detail that is lost in the LotR recordings? I realize it may be difficult to point to an example of something that isn't there smile I simply ask so that I can improve my ability to listen critically.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Kurlander's recording is a muddy, bloated mess.

That is what the yikes was for

Is it not?

-Erik-

You're a lot crueler than I. It wasn't good, I agree.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Scribe wrote
    I am not an expert on recordings, so this is purely layman's opinion, but I think the LotR recordings are quite perfect given the style of music and the intended feel. It certainly doesn't bother me in the same way that some of the recordings of Giacchino's scores do. They make the music feel lifeless. The LotR recordings just make the music feel big. I prefer entertainment to pinpoint accuracy when it comes to musical recordings. How shallow I am.

Agreed on your point. I'm shallow too in that respect I guess. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.