• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2009
    Have you ever listened to an "original" score, stumbled upon a cue or a theme, and wondered: "Where have I heard this before?" smile Well I have, and why not make a thread just about composers getting inspiration from/paying homage to/ripping off other composers - or maybe just borrowing from their own previous work? Composers do this all the time, I guess, and it's not my intention to criticize this (well, maybe in some cases wink); I just think it's a lot of fun to discover these links between different movies, that's all...

Let me start. James Horner for instance... he has a reputation of borrowing music from himself from time to time. But I just bought the "Enemy at the Gates" score, and quickly discovered parts of John Williams' "Schindler's List" theme in there. I haven't seen EATG, but unless Oscar Schindler appears in it, I can't see why he had to do this? smile He's a brilliant composer, and I'm sure he could have come up with something more original.

Examples where Horner re-uses some of his own music:

- Bicentennial Man (The Wedding) - uses parts from Braveheart
    - Aliens (Combat Drop) - has elements of his Klingon theme from Star Trek III in it
    - Troy (Achilles Leads the Myrmidons) - uses parts from Enemy at the Gates (The River Crossing to Stalingrad)

I just use Horner as an example (because it's easy), but most composers do this, I guess. So let's get some examples! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HERE is a similar thread that you might enjoying reading.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Crap....I thought this was a thread about "music from and inspired by" songtracks. Would have been fun to have one of those, even though most of us are in it for the instrumental score alone.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Crap....I thought this was a thread about "music from and inspired by" songtracks. Would have been fun to have one of those, even though most of us are in it for the instrumental score alone.

But if it had been one of those................. wouldn't you have posted a link to another one started by yourself somewhere in the deep dark past? biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

But if it had been one of those................. wouldn't you have posted a link to another one started by yourself somewhere in the deep dark past? biggrin

Believe it or not, that's actually one of the few topics that I do NOT remember having been discussed very much in film music circles online.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    Erik Woods wrote
    HERE is a similar thread that you might enjoying reading.

-Erik-

Damn... I checked the forum before posting, but I didn't find any posts about this subject... but there it is smile Thanks, I'm gonna check it out...
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote

Hehe, could actually be fun. I would love to discuss why I hate soundtracks like "Songs Inspired by Passion of the Christ" vomit