• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Sunil wrote
    sdtom wrote

Until the general public complains and stops attending films nothing much will be done.

I don't think that would certainly bring any difference on this issue. For instance, you take John Williams' Hook, still now there is no news on complete recordings or atleast extended version of that score. Many people adore this score but i say i am quite dissatisfied with the original release. There are several cues are left out. Even now, particular Music Company is not showing any interest in releasing the complete recordings of Hook. Don't you think it deserves for complete recording?

I don't. I think the existing release is perfect.

I think it's a bit on the long side, to be honest. Never listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You've made me laugh many times over the years, but that's a sharp bite out of your wit even by your standards.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think the release is fine as it is also
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    You've made me laugh many times over the years, but that's a sharp bite out of your wit even by your standards.

biggrin

Anyway, I have to confess, but I am responsible for poor score releases. Not only here, but also there and in the hinterland.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    Thor wrote

I don't. I think the existing release is perfect.

No, i don't think that existing release is perfect. I have 4 disc ultimate edition of Hook (of course, bootleg version but very very poor sound quality) which i noticed many cues are left out in existing release. To me, the existing release is just like sound clips. That's all. I deeply believe we need definitely complete recordings of HOOK (just like LOTR).

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009 edited
    I think the current release by Sony is a very good one (it's over 70 minutes long), but like in case of LoTR it's an exceptionally good score so naturally there are quite many good cues left out (as they couldn't fit into one CD), and it would be great to have them officially released, which I'm pretty sure will happen sooner or later.

I'd also love to have the T-Rex Jeep Chase cue from Jurassic Park, which is absent on the otherwise perfect OST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Of course, current release is very good one but not perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Of course, current release is very good one but not perfect.

Indeed. As stated above, it's too long.

These multi-disc releases are all well and good in theory, but unless you have several hours available for sitting and listening to them, it's hard to see the point. If it's something like Varese's 3-CD versions of North and South then each disc is produced so that it works on its own terms (obviously helped by the tv format) - so that's one thing. But taking the LOTR release, if you just have time to listen to one disc, then you're only hearing part of the musical story and I personally find that very unsatisfying. I'm sure that some day someone will put out a 4-CD version of Hook complete with all the alternate takes and so on and that it will be a good seller - but will anyone ever listen to it? Even amongst the tiny minority of people who may have the time, who wants to spend four hours listening to a single film score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What Southall said.

I think some of the excessive battle music could have been weeded out of the existing Sony release too; I think it would have been particularly good at some 55-60 minutes. Not more.

You have to realize, Sunil, that I don't care if there are great pieces of music left out of the release. I just want a good listening experience like any other classical or rock or pop album. I don't listen to soundtracks because of how the music was in the film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

biggrin

shocked

Joke stealer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I usually prefer 45-60 minutes long scores too, but there are cases when the 70+ minutes is justified. Hook is one of those examples. I enjoy every minute of it. (I have the two disc bootleg too, which is also very good but I think all the really important cues are on the official release.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's what I think too. I know most of you find the LoTR complete recordings exhaustingly long but after appreciating the movies and the use of the score in them more, I now enjoy every moment of the complete recordings. Hook could do with a 2 CD release IMO, although the current release is satisfying enough.
  1. keky wrote
    I usually prefer 45-60 minutes long scores too, but there are cases when the 70+ minutes is justified. Hook is one of those examples. I enjoy every minute of it. (I have the two disc bootleg too, which is also very good but I think all the really important cues are on the official release.)

Well there is one important cue that isn't on the official album: the complete uncut and totally mindblowing 'Ultimate War' battle music. I'd buy the complete score for that alone. It ranks among his best structured action pieces, on the same level of The Battle of Hoth. punk

In the meantime I'm happy as a schoolboy with my double disc edition, mediocre sound and all. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    editor=a good listening experience. With that said you can't make everybody happy. Price also enters into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

biggrin

shocked

Joke stealer!

Read it again.
    Carefully.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

biggrin

shocked

Joke stealer!

'joke' was stretching it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dammit. I must read sentences, not words. (If that makes any sense. shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    What Southall said.

I think some of the excessive battle music could have been weeded out of the existing Sony release too; I think it would have been particularly good at some 55-60 minutes. Not more.

You have to realize, Sunil, that I don't care if there are great pieces of music left out of the release. I just want a good listening experience like any other classical or rock or pop album. I don't listen to soundtracks because of how the music was in the film.

Where is the ignore Thor button. Excessive battle music? Bah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To the left of the quote button I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

You have to realize, Sunil, that I don't care if there are great pieces of music left out of the release.

But i do care about it. Whenever i watch the movie HOOK, just one thing comes to mind that when will the complete recording or at least extended version of Hook score be released. Even now, i watch Hook for the sake of the last 20 minutes of movie, where you see Maestro John Williams delivered true masterpiece stuff. This is what disappoints me when those kind of masterpiece stuff is not included in official release.

My question is that if they can release Home Alone 2 Lost in Newyork score in 2 disc official release, why not Hook?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    ^

Home Alone and Hook are owned by 2 different studios, therefore it does make a difference in making a licensing agreement..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I know but i made my point generally, not specifically. I do have Home Alone 2 two disc official release and Hook, so, i can see the name of the studios. biggrin
  2. Don't worry S. it'll be released at some point I'm sure of it. If they can release utter crap on two discs they can and will do that eventually (before I die hopefully).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't worry S. it'll be released at some point I'm sure of it. If they can release utter crap on two discs they can and will do that eventually (before I die hopefully).

The release day isn't too far off at this rate IMO.
  3. You know something we don't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nope, but it's pretty much obvious at this rate.
  4. As obvious as say, the world ending in a blazing inferno at some point in the future?

Sweet !!!! beer