• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Steven wrote
    No, who are the voters?

There are 95 members, all of whom are non-American journalists who report on films (not necessarily critics, they could just be the people who write the PR pieces about films). Many reputable publications aren't represented (eg The Times). It was founded by... The Daily Mail (a long time ago). It's no more meaningful than if 95 people from this forum got together and voted on awards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Off their nominees' list, I might have been tempted to vote for ABEL KORZENIOWSKI - A SINGLE MAN instead.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    The Golden Globes are as meaningless to me as the Oscars, but seeing a composer you like get any award is always nice.

Ditto.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    No, who are the voters?

There are 95 members, all of whom are non-American journalists who report on films (not necessarily critics, they could just be the people who write the PR pieces about films). Many reputable publications aren't represented (eg The Times). It was founded by... The Daily Mail (a long time ago). It's no more meaningful than if 95 people from this forum got together and voted on awards.

It has a lot more meaning than you think James. #1 it just took Crazy Heart out of the arthouses into the multiplex theaters. This low budget film will now be rewarded with the big $ by these so called 95 people who I happen to agree with as far as this film is concerned. I was taken aback with Downey Jr. winning for Sherlock Holmes. In my opinion he was superior in The Soloist. These awards are definitely a barometer for the Oscars.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    No, who are the voters?

I disagree, if 95 people from this forum voted it would be far more meaningful. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. What is interesting to me is that all the filmmakers who know I'm into film scores who have seen UP have usually been saying to me: "Have you seen UP yet? You'd love it. The music is used so well." If you see the film, I think it does definitely make a strong impression, and that's probably much stronger grounds for giving out this award than listening to it on cd (where, I agree with everyone, it isn't my favourite from this last year).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I did see the film and that's not really what it did for me. I just kept wondering why he hadn't managed to recapture the magic he found with Ratatouille. It's not a bad score - actually, it's a very strong one, regardless of how it is on album. I'm just surprised that it's this one that's really got him attention and not one of the earlier ones.
  2. I haven't seen the film myself, so I'm just assuming there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote It was founded by... The Daily Mail (a long time ago).

Good lord! I knew about the shady stuff with the voters for Golden Globes but this fact about Daily Mail as the founder is a surprise. Actually now it all makes sense. biggrin

I heard Christina Hendricks did well with the golden globes. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't seen the film myself, so I'm just assuming there.

It's good, but it's not great, even within the film. The rest is just hype, which drives everything these days it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    I heard Christina Hendricks did well with the golden globes. wink

Two of the reasons why I watch Mad Men.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mad what?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Mad what?

MAD MEN! good god man, are you deaf?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    smile Is it a good show? What is about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    MILLIONS THANKS TO GOD! that AVATAR didn't win. That's far more enough for me. Phew!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    ^
    You must really hate Avatar's score if you post about it 100 times a day.
    I didn't hate even Slumdog Millionaire's music as much as you hate this poor score of Avatar (which is a very good score, by the way tongue)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    MILLIONS THANKS TO GOD! that AVATAR didn't win. That's far more enough for me. Phew!

We get it, you don't like Avatar. Now kindly...shut up about it. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Let's just say that there was nothing really outstanding this year at least in my opinion
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Let's just say that there was nothing really outstanding this year at least in my opinion

Interesting you would say that because I think 2009 was one of the best years for film music since 2004. Lots to like. Curious as to how much to actually heard.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote

I know you don't like much of the modern stuff, which is fair enough, but what about Rombi's Un Homme Et Son Chien? It's probably one of my top three from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Is there one that you could put into the top 100 scores of all time? I couldn't. Maybe Informant in the top 250
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    A top 250. A strange top if you ask me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Is there one that you could put into the top 100 scores of all time? I couldn't. Maybe Informant in the top 250

Does that matter then? (I would have to think about that though. I find it very hard to remember everything that's been released in the year! I think Giacchino's Star Trek might have a good chance. I really do enjoy that score. But who knows...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote

Just because a score can't be classified as a Top 100 scores of all time contender doesn't mean that there isn't great music being created. Honestly, that's kind of a close minded way of going about things.

Anyway, I highly recommend you try Steven's suggestion above... Rombi is always on of his game and Un Homme Et Son Chien is quite a remarkable score. What about Desplat? I seem to remember you liking his music a lot. Christopher Gordon wrote a striking score to Mao's Last Dancer; it certainly is one fine achievement in film scoring this past year. What about Up? The Informant? The Red Canvas? Pope Joan?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, Mao's Last Dancer is an excellent score! As is Daybreakers (my favourite of the two Gordon scores), but probably not Tom's cup of tea.

What about Baaria by Morricone? I've not heard it, but it sounds like a winner for those who like Morricone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am merely using the top 100/250 as a measuring device just like a batting average. Just because a hitter is 50 points below his average doesn't mean he did everything wrong. In my mind there was nothing that stood out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I am merely using the top 100/250 as a measuring device just like a batting average. Just because a hitter is 50 points below his average doesn't mean he did everything wrong. In my mind there was nothing that stood out.

So have to heard the any of the scores listed above?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As an example I didn't like or dislike Invictus. It worked ok in the film. However, if there had been a memorable theme I'd have liked that but it just isn't Eastwood's style, at least for this film.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Un Homme Et Son Chien? Mao's Last Dancer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    As an example I didn't like or dislike Invictus. It worked ok in the film. However, if there had been a memorable theme I'd have liked that but it just isn't Eastwood's style, at least for this film.
    Thomas

Ok... but that still doesn't answer my question. Have you hear ANY of the score listed ABOVE!

Actually, screw it. Let me just list them again...

Un Homme Et Son Chien
    Mao's Last Dancer
    Up
    The Informant
    The Red Canvas
    Pope Joan

How about these Desplat scores?

Coco Avant Chanel
    New Moon
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Julie & Julia
    Un Prophète
    Chéri

-Erik-