• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Let's just say that there was nothing really outstanding this year at least in my opinion

Interesting you would say that because I think 2009 was one of the best years for film music since 2004. Lots to like. Curious as to how much to actually heard.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more. This year's votes for the IFMCA have been the most difficult for years now. So much good stuff to listen, clear up and choose from, very hard decisions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I agree too. There have been at least 10 scores which I thought were absolutely wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    Erik Woods wrote
    Un Homme Et Son Chien
    Mao's Last Dancer
    Up
    The Informant
    The Red Canvas
    Pope Joan

How about these Desplat scores?

Coco Avant Chanel
    New Moon
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Julie & Julia
    Un Prophète
    Chéri

-Erik-

Tom is a difficult man to please wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    Anthony wrote

shut up about it. rolleyes

No. I will not. angry
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    keky wrote
    ^
    You must really hate Avatar's score if you post about it 100 times a day.
    I didn't hate even Slumdog Millionaire's music as much as you hate this poor score of Avatar (which is a very good score, by the way tongue)

I hate Slumdog Millionaire too. tongue
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Sunil wrote
    keky wrote
    ^
    I didn't hate even Slumdog Millionaire's music as much as you hate this poor score of Avatar (which is a very good score, by the way tongue)

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    keky wrote
    ^

You do? You've risen one step in my appreciation wink. Although i'd not say i hate it, rather i passionately dislike its score. The movie's entertaining, right before it starts turning into standard Bollywood fair.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    Anthony wrote

shut up about it. rolleyes

No. I will not. angry

why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sunil wrote
    keky wrote
    ^

You do? You've risen one step in my appreciation wink. Although i'd not say i hate it, rather i passionately dislike its score. The movie's entertaining, right before it starts turning into standard Bollywood fair.

...which is when it gets to the end titles. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nop, not really, it's perfectly good disguised Bollywood, i'll give him that, but i don't have appetite to discuss Slumdong again smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What James said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nop, not really, it's perfectly good disguised Bollywood, i'll give him that, but i don't have appetite to discuss Slumdong again smile

I do. It's nothing like any Bollywood film I've ever seen, at any point. Why would he make "disguised Bollywood"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I call "Slumdog Millionare" a one and done listening experience.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hey Tom - wave - over here.

Have you listened to

Un Homme Et Son Chien
    Mao's Last Dancer
    Up
    The Informant
    The Red Canvas
    Pope Joan

Coco Avant Chanel
    New Moon
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Julie & Julia
    Un Prophète
    Chéri

STOP IGNORING ME cry

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I do. It's nothing like any Bollywood film I've ever seen, at any point. Why would he make "disguised Bollywood"?

I said in another thread, that it follows the usual boy loves girl bollywood and everything revolves around them recipe with lots of unnecessary drama in-between, until we get to the cerebral ending that finds boy together with girl and let's hold hands altogether and dance in cheesy joy. But really, i don't want to talk about this subject..the whole thing bores me, so stop tempting me wink

The exact contrary of what Kar Wai Wong would do, for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Un Homme Et Son Chien (no)
    Mao's Last Dancer (no)
    Up (yes)
    The Informant (yes)
    The Red Canvas (yes)
    Pope Joan (no)

Coco Avant Chanel (yes)
    New Moon (no)
    Fantastic Mr. Fox (yes)
    Julie & Julia (yes)
    Un Prophète (no)
    Chéri (yes)

Red Canvas and The Informant were the best of the group. If I had the money I would likely have purchased the others but my funds went into the Rozsa box purchase. As you know I reviewed and liked Informant. I'm sorry I didn't review Canvas as I found it most satisfying.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Have you listened to

Un Homme Et Son Chien
    Mao's Last Dancer
    Up
    The Informant
    The Red Canvas
    Pope Joan

Coco Avant Chanel
    New Moon
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Julie & Julia
    Un Prophète
    Chéri

STOP IGNORING ME cry

-Erik-

All great scores btw. Hard to suggest 2009 had been anything short but great, with such works (among others not mentioned here).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I said in another thread, that it follows the usual boy loves girl bollywood and everything revolves around them recipe with lots of unnecessary drama in-between, until we get to the cerebral ending that finds boy together with girl and let's hold hands altogether and dance in cheesy joy. But really, i don't want to talk about this subject..the whole thing bores me, so stop tempting me wink

I think Hollywood arrived at that formula several decades before Bollywood!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Have you listened to

Un Homme Et Son Chien
    Mao's Last Dancer
    Up
    The Informant
    The Red Canvas
    Pope Joan

Coco Avant Chanel
    New Moon
    Fantastic Mr. Fox
    Julie & Julia
    Un Prophète
    Chéri

STOP IGNORING ME cry

-Erik-

All great scores btw. Hard to suggest 2009 had been anything short but great, with such works (among others not mentioned here).

I think it was a decent year, but I wouldn't call any of those "great". Range from reasonable to very good indeed, but not great.
  2. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not Bollywood disguised as something else. It's Dickens disguised as Bollywood (and even then, only feintly -- the style of the film is closer to the director's own SUNSHINE and 28 DAYS LATER than a Bollywood film).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I think it was a decent year, but I wouldn't call any of those "great". Range from reasonable to very good indeed, but not great.

shocked

Un Homme, Red Canvas, and Mao are great!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Completely agree.
  3. I'll keep carrying the torch for CHERI here. Anyone want some CHERI? No? Ok, maybe a little BAARIA?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Cheri too. Very enjoyable, but not too sure it's up there with BAARIA or AGORA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'll keep carrying the torch for CHERI here. Anyone want some CHERI? No? Ok, maybe a little BAARIA?

Now Baaria, that one was great. I might even push Creation into the bracket. Avatar, of course. Three great scores in a year isn't bad.
  4. Maybe great scores weren't so obvious this year (none of my 'best of the decade' come from 2009, from memory), but the group of extremely solid scores was quite a long list this time round. There were more 'very goods' than I remember hearing in 2008 or 2006.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not Bollywood disguised as something else. It's Dickens disguised as Bollywood (and even then, only feintly -- the style of the film is closer to the director's own SUNSHINE and 28 DAYS LATER than a Bollywood film).

TRUE!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The exact contrary of what Kar Wai Wong would do, for instance.

FALSE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think most of us are in agreement
  5. sdtom wrote
    I think most of us are in agreement

About what?