• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008
    Southall wrote
    He's a very promising film composer, but compare his first ten years with the first ten years of other notable composers of the past and present and you find a more limited range.

That sums it up for me. 2000-2004 were superb. 2005-2008 have not even come close. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    I can take as more as possible Powell scores, if they sound like "Z to the rescue", "Phoenix Rises", "Mountain Chase" to "JoJo saves the day" from Horton.

Yeah, throw me a million scores like that, and I can still enjoy them !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    If only you guys applied the same rule to all composers as you do to Powell, life would be so peaceful!

Exactly my point; amen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    I guess I'm not so much of a "critic" as I used to be, and certainly not as much as some of the other fine people of this forum.

I don't expect too much from new scores, I just hope for something good. If it's not, I don't worry about it too much and enjoy the music I already have. My view on film music has seriously relaxed over the past few months, and I don't have anything major against any particular composer. This isn't meant to sound like a preach, I'm simply stating my view on film music! dizzy

I like what I like and I love what I love. What I don't, I don't worry about.

That's all cool mate, it really is and i know you, i know you genuinely mean that and that all you care is that you personally enjoy some stuff out there without praising it like the biggest achievement in music ever.

But don't take what James said personally, it's more like a general problem as many people are NOT like you and that they WILL praise composers like POWELL (and not only) while at the same time they will spitefully dig up the graves of other composers like Horner for instance, for doing essentially the same thing, not to mention that latter's contribution to film music is well - respectably enormous.

It's not something that should drive us crazy or anything like that but it is an unfortunate and sad situation for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I guess I'm not so much of a "critic" as I used to be, and certainly not as much as some of the other fine people of this forum.

I don't expect too much from new scores, I just hope for something good. If it's not, I don't worry about it too much and enjoy the music I already have. My view on film music has seriously relaxed over the past few months, and I don't have anything major against any particular composer. This isn't meant to sound like a preach, I'm simply stating my view on film music! dizzy

I like what I like and I love what I love. What I don't, I don't worry about.

Absolutely.

It is sometimes just a bit irritating that some composers seem to be given a free ride for things that gets others into so much trouble with people. I guess I'm probably getting confused between here and FSM but some of the hate and bile shown over there against certain composers (no need to name them) for doing exactly the same thing that others get praised for, is very odd. How many times is Michael Giacchino going to write an identical WW2 video game score before someone mentions anything about him the way they do so obsessively about Horner? I'm not criticising Giacchino by the way, just mentioning the odd double standard. Nothing about you either, you've got a refreshing, honest approach in your music appreciation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good point there. Bloody fanboys ay!? rolleyes
  1. Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Eh....sorry, Mac, but if it weren't for guys like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk or Harold Faltermeyer, for that matter (which is a FAR cry from disco music!), we would NEVER have had the likes of Zimmer, Powell, Gregson-Williams, Glennie-Smith or Badelt today.

Oh, jeez. Drool, drool. Thor, you've just named a place I want to visit at any cost.

Are you sure? It would also be a place without any electronica artists, experimental avant garde concert music, electropop or many great pop artists.

I think it's more the prospect of not having a film scoring scene dominated by the people you listed that appeals! Whether Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre etc were around or not doesn't mean a great deal to me, but if it is largely responsible for the way the progress of MV/RC, that would suggest their removal would lead to... wink

And to quibble: removing Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre and Harold Faltemeyer would in all likelihood NOT kill off experimental avante garde concert music, unless you have a particularly dependent sub-genre in mind. (And doesn't 'avante garde' imply a certain experimental quality anyway?)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think it's more the prospect of not having a film scoring scene dominated by the people you listed that appeals! Whether Vangelis, Jean-Michel Jarre etc were around or not doesn't mean a great deal to me, but if it is largely responsible for the way the progress of MV/RC, that would suggest their removal would lead to... wink

Well, their sound is obviously tied to the development of the electronic medium itself; the first efforts to really integrate it into a more mainstream approach (whereas it had previously been limited to experimental "incidents" like Stockhausen, the FORBIDDEN PLANET score, sporadic uses of the theremin etc.). These guys exploited these soundscapes into full-bodied, autonomous musical works that had a somewhat broader appeal (although still somewhat outside mainstream popular music). As a consequence, their influence shot off in different directions during the 80's - into pop songs, film scores, even traditionally acoustic genres like jazz and blues. The MV sound was only ONE out of several consequences and developments. So yes, if it hadn't been for these guys, the current MV sound would not have existed the way it does today. While this may sound "good" to some of you, you would also lose lots of OTHER great music in the bargain, OUTSIDE film music. I don't see it as an advantage to have whole parts of musical history "deleted", even if you don't like it or even if it's just an "alternate universe" thought experiment.

And to quibble: removing Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre and Harold Faltemeyer would in all likelihood NOT kill off experimental avante garde concert music, unless you have a particularly dependent sub-genre in mind. (And doesn't 'avante garde' imply a certain experimental quality anyway?)

Yes, it's kinda redundant (or "butter on fat", as we say up here). I should have said experimental SLASH avant garde instead. And I'm not talking about ACOUSTIC avant garde concert music here, which obviously has its own development, but that type of concert music that incorporates electronics into its compositions (like that whole Japanese "noise" genre). Even our resident modernistic composer in Norway, Arne Nordheim, embraced some of the same soundscapes in the late 70's and onwards that Jarre and others had refined somewhat earlier.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I don't see it as an advantage to have whole parts of musical history "deleted", even if you don't like it or even if it's just an "alternate universe" thought experiment.

I don't advocate having parts of musical history deleted, but if someone asks me if in my own little universe film music would be better if Moroder and Faltermeyer (and Zimmer, despite some genuinely good stuff) hadn't ever been near a film, then it gets an unequivocal thumbs up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You can't dismiss Zimmer as such mate, put him in the same category; he's done some very impressive stuff which was not even near to being synthesized and other than that, he's a hugely influential film composer, not due to his synths or anything but rather some other musical characteristics of his sound which have more to do with the choice and use of harmony and thematic approach we all know all those years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My problem is with his working methods more than his own film scores, I guess. I don't blame him for it, it's made him a far richer man than most film composers with much more talent ever achieved, but I just hate it. It's ruined blockbuster film music. There have always been blockbusters as bad as Transformers or Chronicles of Narnia but once they got music like The Swarm or High Road to China.
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008
    Southall wrote
    My problem is with his working methods more than his own film scores, I guess. I don't blame him for it, it's made him a far richer man than most film composers with much more talent ever achieved, but I just hate it. It's ruined blockbuster film music. There have always been blockbusters as bad as Transformers or Chronicles of Narnia but once they got music like The Swarm or High Road to China.

I totally agree. It's not Zimmer that I have a problem with, it's the way that he works. It's good that he does give credit to his underlings, but it's sad nonetheless because Zimmer gets all of the glory. And yes, there are composers like Powell and Gregson-Williams who become big solo composers, but some of them become nothing more than programmers or orchestrators. And I also agree with the other sentiments in this thread. There is a double standard held against some composers for being bashed relentlessly for being unoriginal, repetitious, or even plagiaristic (like Debney, Zimmer, and even Silvestri......I would include Horner but he's in a league of his own in that department) while other composers who do seemingly do some of the same and are given a "pass" and given credit as doing a great "homage."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe those 'little soldiers' don't have what it takes to make it big time? Why some of them have (badelt, hgw, powell) and all the others remain under Zimmer's wings all these years?

Perhaps there's a reason for that? Has anybody ever thought of that instead of accusing him all the time? There are examples of recent solo projects (.e.g. Geoff Zanelli) who weren't good, at all;

Or Atli's Vantage Point, all solo projects, Zimmer is NOT on their heads and yet they don't manage; why is that?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

So, so true! sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe those 'little soldiers' don't have what it takes to make it big time? Why some of them have (badelt, hgw, powell) and all the others remain under Zimmer's wings all these years?

Perhaps there's a reason for that? Has anybody ever thought of that instead of accusing him all the time? There are examples of recent solo projects (.e.g. Geoff Zanelli) who weren't good, at all;

Or Atli's Vantage Point, all solo projects, Zimmer is NOT on their heads and yet they don't manage; why is that?

Amen to that, man! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

Again I think I should clarify... I don't really care whether they make it or not. As long as they're at RC, they're just being asked to write music in a "one size fits all" approach, it's film music without thought - whatever the project, whoever the composer, whoever the co-composers. On one level it's a noble idea having this "factory" helping out up-and-coming composers - but not when you then stifle all creativity and make them all sound like yourself, so you can charge A-list rates to films and not have to give them an A-list composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't know for sure if he 'makes them sound like himself'. Badelt, HGW and Powell don't sound like him and they're the ones that made it big time out of RC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, exactly. This holds especially true for Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell. They've got a unique composing style each and myself I cannot detect what they call the "MV sound" in their scores that much, though I have nothing against it either smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But is the reason they made it big because they developed their own style? When everyone moans about Transformers, Vantage Point etc. it's because it sounds like a Media Ventures score. Listen to the old Powell/Gregson-Williams/Badelt scores - they sound like it too! The difference between them and Jablonsky, Orvasson and all the other MV guys is that they've developed their style of writing to suit them, rather than just being told ''here's a cookie cutter way of writing a score''.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    You don't know for sure if he 'makes them sound like himself'. Badelt, HGW and Powell don't sound like him

I thought HGW and Powell only started sounding different from him when they left, and I'd question just how far HGW has actually gone. Does Badelt really sound that different? Could you listen to a Badelt album and say "That's composed by Klaus Badelt" and not "That's a Remote Control score"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The difference between them and Jablonsky, Orvasson and all the other MV guys is that they've developed their style of writing to suit them, rather than just being told ''here's a cookie cutter way of writing a score''.

And they could only do that because they left the shackles of Remote Control behind. That's my argument.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    You don't know for sure if he 'makes them sound like himself'. Badelt, HGW and Powell don't sound like him

I thought HGW and Powell only started sounding different from him when they left, and I'd question just how far HGW has actually gone. Does Badelt really sound that different? Could you listen to a Badelt album and say "That's composed by Klaus Badelt" and not "That's a Remote Control score"?

Although he doesn't do it too often, The promise, Time Machine, Rescue Dawn and parts of the Constantine are nothing near R.C.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    But is the reason they made it big because they developed their own style? When everyone moans about Transformers, Vantage Point etc. it's because it sounds like a Media Ventures score. Listen to the old Powell/Gregson-Williams/Badelt scores - they sound like it too! The difference between them and Jablonsky, Orvasson and all the other MV guys is that they've developed their style of writing to suit them, rather than just being told ''here's a cookie cutter way of writing a score''.

Transformers has nothing to do with Vantage point; the former is fun and very enjoyable - a "guilty pleasure" to many people although i don't agree with such term, while the other is pure crap. Nodoby's comparing them apart you i think wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, this Silvestri thread has certainly steered off course, but my view is that stylistic restrictions have ALWAYS existed in mainstream Hollywood film. Even back in the Golden Age studio days (which were even MORE streamlined and "factory"-like than a company like RC) were composers told to write music a "certain way", yet they still managed to let their own unique voices shine through. I don't think there is anything inherent in RC's working method that necessarily prevents originality. And it certainly doesn't prevent great scores from coming out that fit their films like a glove.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    It's not that off course, everything's relevant nowadays and with SIlvestri - one of the most important film composers of the 80's and 90's now scoring crap like Night At The Museum 2, it is more relevant than ever, imo.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2008 edited
    Mega formatting problem. Forget this post! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Well, this Silvestri thread has certainly steered off course, but my view is that stylistic restrictions have ALWAYS existed in mainstream Hollywood film. Even back in the Golden Age studio days (which were even MORE streamlined and "factory"-like than a company like RC) were composers told to write music a "certain way", yet they still managed to let their own unique voices shine through. I don't think there is anything inherent in RC's working method that necessarily prevents originality. And it certainly doesn't prevent great scores from coming out that fit their films like a glove.

That's certainly a valid point, but back then (taking Fox as the obvious example) Herrmann and Waxman certainly didn't have to imitate Alfred Newman, and more to the point they weren't sitting in a room, along with Friedhofer and North, scoring five minutes of the film each. Newman may have been the head of music but he hired people for the films and then allowed them to do their thing - if Zimmer did that, I don't think we would be in this state. I just don't see how it can ever be a good thing to have six or seven different people scoring a film. That most certainly does "prevent great scores from coming out that fir their films like a glove" in my view. That's why I detest Zimmer's "revolution".
  2. Alan Silvestri (b. March 26, 1950, New York City) is an acclaimed American Academy Award nominated film score composer. He studied film scoring at the Berklee College of Music in Boston. Silvestri is best known for his numerous collaborations with director Robert Zemeckis, having scored Romancing the Stone (1984), the Back to the Future trilogy (1985, 1989, 1990), Forrest Gump (1994), Contact (1997), Cast Away (2000) and The Polar Express (2004). He received Oscar nominations for Best Original Score for Forrest Gump, a Best Song for "Believe" on The Polar Express Soundtrack, and two Grammy Awards for the music from Cast Away and the song "Believe" from The Polar Express. Aside from his collaborations with Zemeckis, Silvestri is known for his work in Predator (1987) and Predator 2 (1990), both of which are considered to be preeminent examples of action/sci-fi film scores.

Silvestri grew up in Teaneck, New Jersey and attended Teaneck High School there.

ALAN SILVESTRI has laid down the scores to some of the biggest action and comedy films ever produced, and has firmly established himself as one of the foremost film composers in Hollywood today. Viewing composing from the perspective of a member of a sports team, and after composing over 40 soundtracks for major motion pictures, Silvestri still creates with the same zeal he had when he started. "There's no doubt that the better the film, the more you are challenged to rise to the occasion," says Silvestri. "You don't get to work on a Forrest Gump everyday. The more that your collaborators bring to the table creatively, the easier it is to bring forth that emotion in the score."

Having started to play music at a very young age in Teaneck, New Jersey, Alan Silvestri began to consider a career in music, over major league baseball, at the age of 15. He attended Boston's Berklee College of Music, but had been there only two years when he moved to Las Vegas and began touring with R&B legend Wayne Cochran and the C.C. Riders band. After a brief trip back to Boston, Silvestri returned to Las Vegas to try and secure work as an arranger, never once considering going to Los Angeles. Naturally, having no desire to go to Los Angeles, Alan ended up there, enticed by an offer to do the arrangements on his girlfriend's album. Silvestri and his companion arrived in Los Angeles to find that no actual recording contract had been issued, and they were stranded.

While staying at the Travel Lodge motel on Sunset Boulevard waiting for a break, Alan met Bradford Craig. As a lyricist for some projects with Quincy Jones, Craig had been nominated for an Academy® Award and a Golden Globe® Award;. He gave Silvestri some arranging assignments, which turned into the break Silvestri had been waiting for. "Bradford received a call from a small production company that had misread his film credit and assumed that he had scored a movie that he had worked on with Quincy Jones," Silvestri recalls. "They asked him if he could put together a score to this little film that they had." As a lyricist who knew nothing about writing music, Craig placed the caller on hold and called Alan. "`There's a movie here, do you want to do it?' I said yes, and just like that, I had my first film. I was about 20."

Having never scored a film and knowing nothing about the process, Silvestri picked up a copy of Earl Hagan's book "How To Score A Film" and read it cover to cover the night before his meeting with the film's producers. "I literally tried everything in the book on this film. I had cues on top of cues, all kinds of things. I thought 'Oh gee, this is what you do,'" said Silvestri. "I mean, I wasn't short of opinion, which was helpful. I had immediate responses and input into the whole film making process."

The film was called The Doberman Gang, and it triggered a succession of low-budget film assignments for Alan until he landed a job with the hit TV series CHiPs. Silvestri scored approximately 120 hours of this popular show, and "had just started to make a living as a composer" when it canceled. "All of a sudden, I couldn't get one episode of anything," he recalls.

After a work drought of some 18 months, Silvestri's phone rang again. This time it was one of the music editors that Silvestri had worked with on CHiPs. "I got this call at about 8:00 at night, and he said 'I'm working on this film, and these guys can't find anything that's ringing their bells yet. Would you be interested in doing something on spec?' Naturally, I said yes."

The conversation that Silvestri had with director Robert Zemeckis that night would prove to be one of the most important of his life. Zemeckis asked him if he could put together three minutes of music that would go with a South American movie sequence in which Kathleen Turner is chased through the jungle, in the rain, by a bunch of machete-wielding maniacs...and bring it in to him the next day. Based on Zemeckis' description, Silvestri stayed up all night in his home studio creating a three-minute demo for their meeting the next day. "I'm standing there in this Calvin Klein white sweater, and all of a sudden Bob walks in wearing the exact same sweater," recalled Silvestri. "Right then, we knew that we were connected for life."

Zemeckis' film was Romancing the Stone, which Alan describes as "incredibly important to everyone involved in it. It was important in terms of Bob's career as a director, it was important to Kathleen Turner and Danny Devito as actors, and it was important to Michael Douglas as an actor and a producer. There was definitely a kinetic energy which existed between everyone involved in that picture, and I think the audience picked up on it."

Seven films later, Alan Silvestri and Robert Zemeckis still bounce that energy off of one another. Their most recent collaboration was the #1 box office hit of 1994, Forrest Gump. In creating the movie's orchestral music, Silvestri set out to develop a score which would reflect the deep emotion of the film while comfortably blending with its classic songs. "Bob told me that he wasn't going to need what he usually needed from me in this film," he says. "He wanted me to put together one or two big themes, that would recur throughout the film. When I first saw the rough cut of the film, I thought 'What am I going to do?' There was so much emotion there, I felt that I needed a fresh environment."

"I started on the first reel, and as each cue came up, if I needed a new theme to fit that situation, I would sit down and write that theme," Silvestri recalled. "The score just came. There was so much content emotionally in the film, that the notes came without tremendous suffering. The suffering came from trying not to second-guess myself."

While soundtracks to every film Alan Silvestri has composed do not exist, there is a wide variety of music available in stores by this magnificent composer. The Quick and the Dead, Richie Rich and Father of the Bride Part II are just a few soundtracks which have been released on CD. Silvestri's distribution label, Varese Sarabande, released a Greatest Hits compilation on the composer, called "Voyages: The Film Music Journeys of Alan Silvestri" in late 1995.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....I appreciate franz's effort to steer this back, but not quite yet.

Southall wrote
    That's certainly a valid point, but back then (taking Fox as the obvious example) Herrmann and Waxman certainly didn't have to imitate Alfred Newman, and more to the point they weren't sitting in a room, along with Friedhofer and North, scoring five minutes of the film each. Newman may have been the head of music but he hired people for the films and then allowed them to do their thing - if Zimmer did that, I don't think we would be in this state. I just don't see how it can ever be a good thing to have six or seven different people scoring a film. That most certainly does "prevent great scores from coming out that fir their films like a glove" in my view. That's why I detest Zimmer's "revolution".

Well, I think that the RC composers aren't so much asked to emulate ZIMMER as they're asked to adher to a certain musical TEMPLATE or PALETTE. And this isn't really very different from composers back in the day. Of course, I'm only speculating here, but I can't believe that when someone like Powell signed on to MV, there was a point in the contract that said "your music MUST sound like Hans Zimmer's!". You could of course argue that Zimmer is the CREATOR of that template sound in the first place....but hey, so what? He's a very influential composer who combined orchestra with synth in a new, almost prog-like way. And it's really a very flexible sound that allows for all kinds of variations and experiments. Personally, I think RC composers are taking that sound and going with it in their own unique ways, eventually even departing from it altogether when needed.
    I am extremely serious.