• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    So.....what soundtracks would you recommend that stay CALM throughout; that don't have too many suspense or action tracks that break up the mood (not any, preferably)? If it's "sad" and melancholic, all the better.

Sad + melancholic = Firelight by Christopher Gunning (mathematical fact)

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    Timmer wrote
    ...and Thor, I would, would, recommend John Barry's brilliant non-score album The Beyondness of Things but likely that's like asking you to pour banana custard over a steak dinner.

And, ( no surprise ) Your loss, IMO. wink

Well, of course there's no harm in just checking it out. I see that musicme.com has it for streaming, so I'll give it a shot. My Barry door is never closed, the wind just keeps shutting it so I have to re-open it (uhm....or something).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Thor wrote
    So.....what soundtracks would you recommend that stay CALM throughout; that don't have too many suspense or action tracks that break up the mood (not any, preferably)? If it's "sad" and melancholic, all the better.

Sad + melancholic = Firelight by Christopher Gunning (mathematical fact)

Peter smile

Yes, FIRELIGHT is gorgeous. Play it often.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    There are more relaxing things out there than 'The Mountain' from Star Trek V (not least because it starts with one of those horrible pieces of bombastic music).

justin boggan wrote
    One, this isn't a contest, two: note the time I noted after the link.

Three: You got the opinion on the Trek fanfare ass backwards.

Four: You fail to recognise irony.

And as far as the timing thing goes, I don't think Thor wants suggestions that involves him having to edit the cue. Oh, and five: try not to be so defensive all the time. Chill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David Robbin's SAVIOR
    Mark Isham's CRASH and generally his output during the past 2 years.
    Cliff Martinez's Solaris and Traffic as well as suggestions from the previous page smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Keep all these brilliant suggestions coming, dudes!

By the way, Timmer, I just now listened to BEYONDNESS OF THINGS at musicme and LIKED IT!! Who would have thought? Yes, there are some of the repetitative, slow clusters that annoy me so in the movies, but for some reason - I'm guessing because he was more free to develop the material - it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was mezmerized. To my recollection, this is the ONLY Barry album that I've been able to enjoy from start to finish (otherwise, it's usually just a theme or two). Thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Malena by Morricone. Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, and Thomas Newman of course. But you'll also need to make a compilation of the slower, emotional pieces from all his works which are filled with all kinds of style each time, you know, the typical Newman quirkiness which isn't exactly relaxing for all, although to be honest, when i play a Newman album, i'd like to listen to the entire thing as a whole, from start to finish.

a good idea
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I seem to recall Thor making a statement at FSM into his musical needs as of right now being soft electronics, or something like that. If correct, he'll definitively want to look into "Crash" (Isham).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    I seem to recall Thor making a statement at FSM into his musical needs as of right now being soft electronics, or something like that. If correct, he'll definitively want to look into "Crash" (Isham).

Yes, great score. I'm showing an example of that in an upcoming lecture of mine.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That lecture should be 30 minutes or less.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Keep all these brilliant suggestions coming, dudes!

By the way, Timmer, I just now listened to BEYONDNESS OF THINGS at musicme and LIKED IT!! Who would have thought? Yes, there are some of the repetitative, slow clusters that annoy me so in the movies, but for some reason - I'm guessing because he was more free to develop the material - it didn't bother me at all. In fact, I was mezmerized. To my recollection, this is the ONLY Barry album that I've been able to enjoy from start to finish (otherwise, it's usually just a theme or two). Thanks!

fireworks cool fireworks

beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Thor, do you know the Brahms violin sonatas? Three masterpieces... recently I grew very fond of the second movement (adagio) of the G-major sonata, opus 78.

Also, the second movement of the Beethoven string quartet op. 74, "the harp". About as good as it gets. Time freezes whenever I hear that piece...

Thirdly, the "Apassionato" album by Yo Yo Ma, which features as you probably know John Williams on the piano playing from Memoirs of a Geisha. That album also has the third movement from the Franck violin sonata (transcribed for cello). Its magnifico! smile
  3. most of Desplat's material, most of it is boring anyway

waiting for my ban now tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote
    Thor, do you know the Brahms violin sonatas? Three masterpieces... recently I grew very fond of the second movement (adagio) of the G-major sonata, opus 78.

Also, the second movement of the Beethoven string quartet op. 74, "the harp". About as good as it gets. Time freezes whenever I hear that piece...

Thirdly, the "Apassionato" album by Yo Yo Ma, which features as you probably know John Williams on the piano playing from Memoirs of a Geisha. That album also has the third movement from the Franck violin sonata (transcribed for cello). Its magnifico! smile

No, I'm not familiar with any of those, except the Yo Yo Ma album. Thanks for the tips.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Add Murder in the First to the list... soothing music... just skip the few source cue marches that absolutely DESTROY the listening experience.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Add Murder in the First to the list... soothing music... just skip the few source cue marches that absolutely DESTROY the listening experience.

-Erik-

Absolutely.

Nobody mentioned MICHAEL KAMEN's BAND OF BROTHERS yet.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    most of Desplat's material, most of it is boring anyway

waiting for my ban now tongue

Go listen to Tyler Bates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Lars wroteRETURN TO PARADISE - Mark Mancina

a wonderful score with a fantastic main theme.

I agree, a great main theme. And Mancina has 5 free cues from the score for you to check out:
    -Return to Paradise
    -I'll Miss You
    -Arriving in Malaysia
    -Flesh and Blood
    -The Prison

Of these "Return to Paradise" and "I'll Miss You" are probably the calmest. "Return to Paradise" is a beautiful track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think those are up Thor's tastes or what he was asking in this thread. I don't think they're worthy scores anyway but that's just me wink

Thor, with this thread, is more into modern, ambient, melancholic and melodic stuff from what i understood.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Go listen to Tyler Bates.

thanks, I'll do that tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I'm surprised that no one recommended Dario Marinelli's score to Pride & Prejudice. It's lovely. Imagine if you were listening to an album that's constantly riffing on Beethoven's beautiful piano concertos...

Also,

Dave Grusin's Hope Floats - It's as calm as it could be...
    Ennio Morricone - Love Affair - His most romantic, I think. Sure, it's as monothematic as ever, but the theme is gorgeous and is worth listen to always.
    Ennio Morricone - Lolita
    Gabriel Yared - Message in a Bottle - lovely, introspective and melodic
    Gabriel Yared - Autumn in New York - lovely, introspective and melodic
    John Williams - Sabrina - one of my favorite
    John Williams - Stepmom - in the same vein
    Trevor Jones - Notting Hill - it's worth it if you can find it.
    Mark Isham - Afterglow
    And assuming that you haven't had these albums
    Hans Zimmer - As Good As It Gets, Nine Month, The Holiday, Spanglish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atonement goes in the list of beautiful calming scores too, same goes for his SHOOTING DOGS score from MovieScore Media.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atonement goes in the list of beautiful calming scores too, same goes for his SHOOTING DOGS score from MovieScore Media.

Hmmm, yeah, Atonement is quite good, too, kinda like the darker brother of Pride & Prejudice. I much prefer the classical sound of P&P though. I heart Beethoven.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    More suggestions...

Ramin Djawadi - Beat The Drum - it's very pleasant and calm music.
    Edward Shearmur - K-Pax
    Don Harper - Dream & Variation - it's not soundtrack music though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, i can only concur with BEAT THE DRUM....Thor, you're going to love it. Very modern, ambient and wholly soothing listening experience. K-pax i too mentioned it in the previous page, it's a very fine score. As for the last one i am not familiar with it...how is it like?

Thor, also check out
    KLAUS BADELT's brilliant RESCUE DAWN
    HANS ZIMMER and KLAUS BADELT the thin red line-ish "THE INVINCIBLE" and HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, i can only concur with BEAT THE DRUM....Thor, you're going to love it. Very modern, ambient and wholly soothing listening experience. K-pax i too mentioned it in the previous page, it's a very fine score. As for the last one i am not familiar with it...how is it like?

You know who Don Harper is, and his history with MV/RC... but you'll be surprised at the range he demonstrated in this album. His compositions are very "American" in approach; melodic, orchestral, acoustic, eclectic, colorful, introspective, but ultimately as diverse as the landscapes that he's painting. I got this album a couple years ago, right around the same time it came out on CDBaby and I really love it. I even wrote to him a couple time to express my affinity for this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, also check out

Indeed, I just saw this movie yesterday and I noticed the music as well. Despite it being about a pilot crashing in a jungle, being hunted, captured, tortured, then a gunfight, an escape, being hunted some more, it was entirely without any unpleasant or loud music. All the music seemed reflective, melodic and it did have a superb theme. Considering getting this one myself.

Peter smile
  5. The kinds of scores you want suggestions for, Thor, are my favorite kind! Here's a list of my favorites that would require very little programing to get what you want (and I suggest them in this order):

Tours du Monde Tours du Ciel (Delerue), Rich in Love (Delerue), Wilde (Wiseman), Un Homme Et Son Chien (Rombi), The Last Sin Eater (McKenzie), Ladies in Lavender (Hess), Cider House Rules (Portman), Angel (Rombi), Angela's Ashes (Williams), The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca (McKenzie), The Spitfire Grill (Horner), Yo Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone, Merry Christmas (Rombi), Wah Wah (Doyle), Cinema Paradiso (Morricone), Pride and Prejudice (Marianelli).

I've got lots more, but those are my favorites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, also check out

Indeed, I just saw this movie yesterday and I noticed the music as well. Despite it being about a pilot crashing in a jungle, being hunted, captured, tortured, then a gunfight, an escape, being hunted some more, it was entirely without any unpleasant or loud music. All the music seemed reflective, melodic and it did have a superb theme. Considering getting this one myself.

Peter smile

Is it a good movie? Worth it?

Thor, what about Tuomas Kantelinin and his wonderful music? Like Mother of mine for instance, Lupaus (the promise), or the mesmerizing adagios of Rukajärven tie (... aka Ambush (USA))

Oh and certainly Johan Soderqvist: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, AFTER THE WEDDING, EFFIE BRIEST for starters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2010
    Demetris, it gets 7.5 on imdb, so most people certainly adore it. I found it good too, but only enough for a 6 rating. If you like movies about prisoner of war stuff, survival in a hostile environment or if you want to see Christian Bale eat live grubs, this will be your kinda movie.

Peter smile