• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    I was asked to put a spotlight on this young label: Howlin' Wolf Records. New labels deserve some attention!
    http://www.howlinwolfrecords.com

Joep reviewed their first score MALEVOLENCE:
    http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/malevolence/

Now they have released their second cd SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT. A review is coming later, but here's the press release:
    Howlin' Wolf Records is very privileged to present the score for the 1974 cult classic, SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT, music composed and conducted by Gershon Kingsley. Gershon Kingsley is a pioneer of early electronic music and an Emmy-winning, Tony-nominated composer well known for his many works as a composer and conductor, including his internationally recognized hit instrumental Popcorn (1969).

Gershon Kingsley's score for SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT is a Gothic score composed for strings and piano, recorded and conducted by Gershon Kingsley with a chamber orchestra in Munich, Germany. Kingsley's score was deconstructed and rearranged to accommodate subsequent edits of the film and unfortunately lost much of its fluidity and structure. This release features the score, for the first time, as presented by the composer.

SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT - directed by Theodore Gershuny and filmed in 1972 was not released theatrically until April of 1974, placing it chronologically in horror genre history as the first holiday-themed slasher film and the rightful granfather of what has become a subgenre - predating BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) and HALLOWEEN (1978), both classics in this subgenre. Many elements used thematically in SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT are represented in later genre entries leaving some speculation as to what influence this early film had over the genre as a whole. The film features performances by Mary Woronov, James Patterson, John Carradine, Astrid Heeren, along with Patrick O'Neal, Walter Abel, Fran Stevens, and Walter Klavun.

SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT • The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is a limited edition pressing of 1000 and features the score in the form of two suites, as preserved by Gershon Kingsley from the original quarter inch tapes. The two suites are divided into thirteen tracks representing various movements within each suite. The album features beautifully crafted liner notes highlighting the composer, the score, and the film.

Soundclips and more info here:
    http://www.howlinwolfrecords.com/new/store2.html
    Kazoo
  1. Bregt wrote
    Now they have released their second cd SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT. A review is coming later, but here's the press release...

I received this CD this morning and I'm looking forward to hearing this one - including what's been done with the eponymous carol.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. good to know that, new labels are always welcome smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010
    He did Popcorn? Didn't know that. The popular version recognised in the UK was by Hot Butter.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Now they have released their second cd SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT. A review is coming later, but here's the press release...

I received this CD this morning and I'm looking forward to hearing this one - including what's been done with the eponymous carol.

From the soundclips, the old sound of it, with the cello plucking now and then, makes it sound quite cool.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    He did Popcorn? Didn't know that.

Yup. And it's a version way superior to the Hot Butter one! cool
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, I agree. I've always preferred Kingsley's original version, Jarre's 70's version at a close second.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I agree with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A new label? Good news!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelfmania
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2010 edited
    A member of Hot Butter was in Kingsley's group the First Moog Quartet - the First Moog Quartet played Carnegie Hall demonstrating the live capabilities of the Moog synthesizer. Gershon Kingsley is a very interesting man and a great deal of fun to work with. Howlin' Wolf Records hopes in the future to have the opportunity to showcase more of Gershon Kingsley's work. He is still very actively composing and creating some really cool avant-garde compositions.

Thanks to all for welcoming a new film score label.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And thank you for the extra info beer
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2010

3. Great review, Joep. Completely agree with your comments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010 edited
    New release, with an indirect MT touch!

MIDNIGHT MOVIE
    Original Motion Picture Score
    Music by Penka Kouneva
    Film written and directed by Jack Messitt

Howlin' Wolf Records is proud to present the first official film score release for Penka Kouneva, a prominent Hollywood orchestrator and rising composer for videogames, television, and film. In 2008 Jack Messitt wrote and directed MIDNIGHT MOVIE, a supernatural horror/thriller about a maniacal filmmaker who breaks the barrier between celluloid and reality to stalk attendees at a midnight screening of his black and white cult horror classic THE DARK BENEATH. To score this film Penka Kouneva was presented with the challenge of providing scores for both the vintage film and the modern film, which beautifully blend and intersect seamlessly throughout the storyline. MIDNIGHT MOVIE, premiered in 2008 at the Chicago Horror Film Festival winning "Best Feature Film." It is currently available on both DVD and Blu-ray through Bigfoot Entertainment and Phase 4 Films respectively.

Penka Kouneva has long been recognized in Hollywood for her amazing talent as the orchestrator of blockbuster scores including HOSTEL, HOSTEL: PART II, TRANSFORMERS, TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, ANGELS AND DEMONS, as well as Tim Burton's "9." Recently Penka worked alongside renowned film composer Steve Jablonsky to score the videogame PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE FORGOTTEN SANDS. A Sundance Composer Fellow, Penka has also scored a number of films other than MIDNIGHT MOVIE, including CHUPACABRA TERROR, ICE SPIDERS, THE THIRD NAIL and the upcoming features ROUGH HUSTLE and REJOUER.

The score for MIDNIGHT MOVIE is an earnest composition with gentle piano in addition to dark string tremolos, brass textures, ambient electronics with heavy percussion and ethereal voices. For the vintage film featured in the storyline, THE DARK BENEATH, thin, high violins, bassoon, synth patches, and meandering chords for suspense are employed. A newly composed accompanying suite "Darkness And Fear" as well as an expanded cue for "Bridget, Your Father Is Not Here" are bonus features. Visit the MIDNIGHT MOVIE store link for more information and to hear excerts from select score cues.

This release is a limited edition pressing of 1000 featuring a complete score and full color inserts with vivid imagery from the film. The 16-page insert booklet includes detailed liner notes by Jack Messitt, the writer and director of MIDNIGHT MOVIE, along with notes from Penka Kouneva, the composer. This collector's limited edition packaging is lavishly designed by Luis Miguel Rojas.

http://www.howlinwolfrecords.com/
    http://www.midnightmovie.com/
    http://www.penkakouneva.com/
    http://www.soundtracklist.net/ (Luis' site)
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Go Luis punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Cool! About time he got a commercial gig!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. way to go Luis smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Thanks Bregt and all you guys for the congrats, this was an awesome ride and I'm very proud of the result. Can't thank enough Howlin' Wolf records for the big opportunity and hope more will come in the future. punk
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010
    Nice one, Luis!
    A well deserved opportunity. May there be many more to come!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. This project from start to finish has been an honor and treat for HWR. Penka is truly brilliant and a gem, Jack Messitt is phenomenal, and anyone who looks at Luis' designs understands how incredibly talented he is. THANK YOU for your spectacular work Luis! You are an amazing art director and designer and I hope you will continue to serve as the art direct for any projects we have the privilege to work on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    Congrats Luis! It was a long time coming. Here's wishing for many more successful gigs!