• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010
    Here we go! Hehe

Crazy Heart - T-Bone Burnett, Stephen Bruton
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Alexandre Desplat
    Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll - Chaz Jankel
    Up - Michael Giacchino

Always good for a laugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm gonna chin you if you don't watch it.
  1. Fantastic! biggrin

And Sunil... of all the entries to complain about!!!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I'm gonna chin you if you don't watch it.

Miss the niceties and just go for the chin.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Fantastic! biggrin

And Sunil... of all the entries to complain about!!!

indeed shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    Nobody's mentioned these yet, but this year's Bafta nominations were announced this morning and are astonishingly sensible for this organisation, who I assumed would leap at the chance to award the Best Original Score award to Les Miserables.

Score:
    Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)
    Argo (Alexandre Desplat)
    Lincoln (John Williams)
    Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)
    Skyfall (Thomas Newman)
  3. Not too enthusiastic about any of these. I hope Marianelli gets it though.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think they're all decent but the last two alphabetically are a cut above the others.
  4. Was the list meant to be alphabetical?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hmm, I guess it was. I hadn't spotted that it isn't! Anyway, I meant the last two on the list were the ones I thought were a cut above the others!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013
    Yeah, I'd go for those as well!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Argo is for the pr, the score is really nothing to rave about. Very passable. LIFE OF PI is absolutely beautiful and in the film, it's breathtaking. Anna Karenina is classic Wright-MArianelli and works wonders in the film. Skyfall is awesome and Lincoln is good but not great.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Newman might just get his year of awards this time round. The buzz around the 60th anniversary celebrations around James Bond may sway voters to go with all things Bond.

Apparently there is a special celebration of the franchise at the Oscars this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think you posted the Oscar nominees.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Silly James drinking with goats and all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Argo is for the pr, the score is really nothing to rave about.

Again! This seems to have become your running theme - has it become a default position that anything you don't like but others do, it's only because of PR!? wink

Maybe you won't believe me, but I heard this music before I'd read a word posted about it by anyone else, and formed my own conclusion (that I like it a lot) all by myself. I think it's the best Desplat of 2012 (that I've heard - I haven't heard them all) and deserves its nomination because it's good music, not because of any PR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Yeah! My favourite as well. It's an orgy of middle eastern flutes and orgasms of women, oiled up in a bath of exotism. I don't see why you don't like it? tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Yeah! My favourite as well. It's an orgy of middle eastern flutes and orgasms of women, oiled up in a bath of exotism. I don't see why you don't like it? tongue

Because i am not in it!

Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Argo is for the pr, the score is really nothing to rave about.

Again! This seems to have become your running theme - has it become a default position that anything you don't like but others do, it's only because of PR!? wink

Maybe you won't believe me, but I heard this music before I'd read a word posted about it by anyone else, and formed my own conclusion (that I like it a lot) all by myself. I think it's the best Desplat of 2012 (that I've heard - I haven't heard them all) and deserves its nomination because it's good music, not because of any PR.

Didn't want to insult anyone, it wasn't my intention; it's just my opinion. Argo, the film, got huge pr this year and a lot of success; i personally found it overrated, score and movie. I thought Zero Dark Thirty or Rise of the Guardians were much better scores in the movies and on CD but then again we disagree, it's how life is wink What do you mean 'it's become my running theme' however? on This release, or more generally speaking?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You said it about something else that I love (Journey) recently, too, but I know you don't really mean it!

I haven't heard or seen Zero Dark Thirty. I didn't like Rise of the Guardians that much (it's OK, but John Powell's done that style better in recent years).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

I agree, I think LIFE OF PI could be/become my favourite score from last year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    You said it about something else that I love (Journey) recently, too, but I know you don't really mean it!

I haven't heard or seen Zero Dark Thirty. I didn't like Rise of the Guardians that much (it's OK, but John Powell's done that style better in recent years).

Well, we do have several mutual friends (film music related, pr agencies, composers) on facebook and you know pretty well journey is the only game score that has been p.r-ed to death this year. It's the only thing i see congratulating on each others' walls (the directly related to the production, and their friends), hearts flying around, "you're the best" exaggerations etc etc. You know pretty well how good p.r. can play huge role in these things wink

As for the music alone, i don't like it all but i can understand how others might love it. It's such music that's clearly a love it or hate it situation. And after all i never asked anyone to agree with me, you rated it in year's bests for instance, and i rated in the same list one of your most hated scores this year. It happens, it's all natural. But i won't take it personally that you adored Journey or any other score i don't like. Why would you? I mean everything i say btw, my comments aren't light-hearted. My language might be harsh sometimes and it results in other people taking it personally (i don't see why) but i'll try to change that; not my opinions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Well, we do have several mutual friends (film music related, pr agencies, composers) on facebook and you know pretty well journey is the only game score that has been p.r-ed to death this year. It's the only thing i see congratulating on each others' walls (the directly related to the production, and their friends), hearts flying around, "you're the best" exaggerations etc etc. You know pretty well how good p.r. can play huge role in these things wink

It can but you shouldn't discount the possibility that people like it because they think it's good - that's why I like it, for instance. I don't remember seeing any PR about it, but maybe I just missed that. It certainly got a lot of attention AFTER it got a Grammy nomination, which is an extraordinary achievement for it given that it's a video game score by an obscure composer.
  6. ARGO is fine as music. I just don't think it's very interesting as a film score. Normally Desplat's stuff means more than what's happening on the surface in a picture (SYRIANA a pretty good example), but here it's a bit more on the nose. Fine writing, just a bit less interesting as storytelling.

If I was going for the Desplat score I enjoyed most this year as a listening experience (which these awards aren't really about), that'd probably be CLOCLO. If I was going for the best score of the 4 films I've seen, that would probably be RUST AND BONE or MOONRISE KINGDOM, where the music has that clever touch in the story.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013 edited
    Cloclo is indeed his most traditionally desplat score this year. Wonderful. But ha many have seen the movie and heard the score? Very few I am sure. Don't tell me Argo's overblown pr doesn't count wink Rust and bone is also a very touching score. Moonrise kingdom works wonders in the film but I would not listen to it on cd often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    Skyfall won. Thomas Newman thanked Monty Norman and John Barry for writing the main theme for him.
  7. Awesome. Here's hoping it wins the Oscar in two weeks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    A win for a generic action score? Cripes but I hope not!
  8. A win for Newman's best score in years to one of the best movies of last year, you mean? wink