• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010 edited
    You'll only buy it for the coolness of it all, if you can afford it. I'd do so, if i could afford it, to be honest.

Other than the coolness, which is really valid, the rest - and surely its exaggerated price, don't really justify its existence. Unless they make a gen2 of the product which will have all that's missing, in the same price.

Read these very interesting articles:

its screen:

"The iPad, the much-anticipated Apple tablet computer announced today, is not going to revolutionize the display industry. It doesn’t sport a bright OLED display; it isn’t wearing the latest Pixel Qi technology that combines normal transmissive LCD technology with a black-and-white reflective version for easy viewing in bright sunlight."

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/comp … he-display

-

ipad is a huge step backward in the history of computing:

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/01/2 … p-Backward

----

fujitsu lawsuit, on iPad's "originality":

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/01/2 … ?art_pos=1

The 2nd makes some pretty good points.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, i used to thought of that too, until i used one. The clarity of the screen is amazing, and its size is sufficient for all the uses you can do with it. It's not just a phone, it's a whole agenda, especially for someone who's constantly outside, at the uni and at work, and need to take notes, save txt and doc files, save and transfer files, ebooks, music, software, etc.

But couldn't you use a little USB flash drive to do all that, at considerably less expense?

No, 'cause you also need to carry a computer with you all the time.

Why? If all you're doing is transferring files from somewhere else then you don't.

No, i need to make notes, write down stuff, listen to music, download and send e-mails, access google calendar, stuff like that. I don't simply want it to transfer files. You can do all that with iPhone in great portability and quality compared to other brand phones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2010
    OK, that's fair enough then! I can't imagine using a device like that to make notes myself, but perhaps that's just me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am already using a smaller phone (lg gt505) for my quick notes, agenda / calendar, to do list, birthday reminders, quick access to email via wi-fi and an iPhone would suit me much better. But i am not willing to pay that ridiculous money to apple yet, as long as the price doesn't come down. At the uni i carry my asus 1005ha netbook where i take real-time notes in ms word as the professor shows his presentation. All these years i've learned to type very fast, without even looking at the keyboard. So i can easily take fast notes whilst looking at the board, at the presentation. And most importantly, i really, really am not a paper and pencil guy. I write much faster on the pc in contrast to writing with a pen on paper where i try and catch up with the professor, even i don't understand what i wrote when i go home and review my notes. My writing character when i'm in a hurry is terrible!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    Personally, this appeals to me more than an iPhone. iPhones are great, but I'm not a big user of phones anyway. I avoid texting at all costs! People even get annoyed with me because of it! biggrin

The iPad (iSlate or iTab would have been a better name, but whatever!) is something that appeals to me more. It's like something out of a sci-fi movie... and the geek in me WANTS ONE! dizzy (My heart wants one, not my head.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting. I love sms 'cause it gets the point across without bothering the other party, or me. Most of the times, especially when i'm out, i am annoyed when the phone's ringing, i much prefer a text that will allow me to reply at my own convenience, when i can and want to, not "force" me to answer. Most of the times, most calls go unanswered smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    The iPad (iSlate or iTab would have been a better name, but whatever!) is something that appeals to me more. It's like something out of a sci-fi movie... and the geek in me WANTS ONE! dizzy (My heart wants one, not my head.)

iSLATE? Nah! iTab is pretty good though. As for the sci-fi movie, totally. I was reminded of Minority report...films slowly becoming reality and that can only mean COOL for us movie / film music geeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

iSLATE? Nah! iTab is pretty good though. As for the sci-fi movie, totally. I was reminded of Minority report...films slowly becoming reality and that can only mean COOL for us movie / film music geeks.

Ooh, a clear piece of glass. Now that's the kind of tablet computer I want! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting. I love sms 'cause it gets the point across without bothering the other party, or me. Most of the times, especially when i'm out, i am annoyed when the phone's ringing, i much prefer a text that will allow me to reply at my own convenience, when i can and want to, not "force" me to answer. Most of the times, most calls go unanswered smile

I'll put it this way: my phone's primary use is an alarm clock. I would use smoke signals before I have to use my phone for what it's designed for. Srsly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    Coolest guy ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gA16Fq4SAo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2010
    Microsoft joins the game too...

what a retarded name though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYWGKnVkEw
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    This is awesome:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/04/scra … he-best-1/

An awesome lot of money too, but ... awesome
    http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image … 8xX2wuanBn

I can see lots of such types of applications appear in the future though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2010 edited
    Although I think it's a fantastic (but over priced) product with lots of potential and numerous applications surely ahead of it, Scrabble is probably one of its least ambitious applications. It would be easier -and save battery power- to play the real thing! tongue

Still, if it can do it, why not?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Although I think it's a fantastic (but over priced) product with lots of potential and numerous applications surely ahead of it, Scrabble is probably one of its least ambitious applications. It would be easier -and save battery power- to play the real thing! tongue

Still, if it can do it, why not?

What Steven said. I've been a scrabble player for many years and I'll always go for a real person(s) in front of me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of Scrabble, apparently it's got a new awesome extreme makeover which makes it totally more awesome and extreme!! shocked

Mattel said the use of names will add a "new dimension" to Scrabble

Oh.
    My.
    GAWD.

shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This should have been posted in World Events.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But...but... new dimensions, Timmer? New Dimensions!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hear ya. It works already, I replied and it appeared in Bregt's Meeting Opportunity sticky thread. biggrin