• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010 edited
    SCORE:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox (Alexandre Desplat)
    The Hurt Locker (Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders)
    Sherlock Holmes (Hans Zimmer)
    Up (Michael Giacchino)

SONG:

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG "Almost There"
    THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG "Down In New Orleans"
    PARIS 36 "Lion de Paname"
    NINE "Take It All"
    CRAZY HEART "The Weary Kind"

http://oscar.go.com/

-Erik-

PS - District 9 got a Best Picture nom. shocked Good for them!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is this the official list Erik?

Edit: It's okay, I just answered it myself wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes, it was announced minutes ago. Why don't they announce them all on TV though?

Edit: Sherlock Homes? Frack me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    I am glad that Sherlock Holmes made it into the nominees. It's much better than the over-rated Up, in my opinion. However I'm rooting for Avatar. That's the best of the lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm 99.9% sure Up will win, but I'm glad to see HanZ get a nom after a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The battle is between Avatar and Up. I give the edge to Avatar because the film is still in the public's conscience plus it's a mega hit.

IMHO, Michael SHOULD win this hands down. His score is EASILY the best of the bunch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    He WILL win, I'm almost positive. And well deserved it would be! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hurt Locker came out of the blue. I guess it's nominated for everything else? Might just win, you know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Oh, I don't know...if we remember how the Academy loves to honour utterly unmemorable scores then Up definitely seems to be the winner (at least for me it belongs to the Santaolalla and Rahman type of scores inasmuch as it was completely unmemorable.)
    Sorry guys, just my opinion.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Hurt Locker came out of the blue. I guess it's nominated for everything else? Might just win, you know...

I reckon The Hurt Locker will win for best score.

My track record on predicting best score wins is utterly appalling by the way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    keky wrote
    Oh, I don't know...if we remember how the Academy loves to honour utterly unmemorable scores then Up definitely seems to be the winner (at least for me it belongs to the Santaolalla and Rahman type of scores inasmuch as it was completely unmemorable.)

It's nowhere near as good as Slumdog IMHO. I don't really get why Up is winning everything (score-wise). I might disagree with a lot of awards bodies' choices for film music but I can usually understand why they pick the things they do. I just can't see it with Up, which seemed unremarkable in the film and away from it. Why is it getting so much attention when Ratatouille - just as successful a film, and a much more memorable score - didn't?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree Ratatouille is the better score compared to Up, but I do think Up deserves to win, particularly from that list. It deserves to win even just for that opening scene of Carl's life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Go Randy!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. Looking at the list on http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees only Avatar, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Hurt Locker and Sherlock Holmes is listed in "Music (Original Score)" category.

Up isn't listed. Am I reading this wrong or have they got it wrong themselves?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Hurt Locker is a very good film....but an Oscar nomination for best original score? confused No way.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    keky wrote
    I am glad that Sherlock Holmes made it into the nominees. It's much better than the over-rated Up, in my opinion. However I'm rooting for Avatar. That's the best of the lot.

Exactly my opinion too!

I'm surprised that the more artsy stuff, like Korzeniowski's A SINGLE MAN, was overlooked.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Looking at the list on http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees only Avatar, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Hurt Locker and Sherlock Holmes is listed in "Music (Original Score)" category.

Up isn't listed. Am I reading this wrong or have they got it wrong themselves?

I guess you're reading it wrong because Up is listed when I click on the link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    GO ZIMMER GO!!!!

Glad to see this Zimmer score getting nominated. Just because it's Zimmer comming back to the Oscar...10 years later!
    Giacchino will win. I'm 90% sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Ayeee! There were so many better Desplats to choose from.

Erik Woods wrote
    The battle is between Avatar and Up. I give the edge to Avatar because the film is still in the public's conscience plus it's a mega hit.

-Erik-

Agreed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It just struck me that the only bit of Fantastic Mr Fox I remember after a couple of months not listening to it is the Morricone homage, and of course if you take the Morricone out of Sherlock Holmes then there's not much left. Interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    It just struck me that the only bit of Fantastic Mr Fox I remember after a couple of months not listening to it is the Morricone homage, and of course if you take the Morricone out of Sherlock Holmes then there's not much left. Interesting!

biggrin
    Viva Ennio!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hahahahahahahahaha!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMHO, Michael SHOULD win this hands down. His score is EASILY the best of the bunch!

It's probably my second favourite of the bunch, but it wouldn't get in my top 20 of the year.
    • CommentAuthorRoy
    BhelPuri wrote
    Southall wrote

biggrin
    Viva Ennio!

But Why His Bariaa isn't nominated and instead are those Who pays tribute to Him?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ennio's barely ever been nominated. slant
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I don't think MG necessarily needs to win for Up, but he definitely needs to win!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I don't think MG necessarily needs to win for Up, but he definitely needs to win!

If it gets him better, more high profile assignments then that can only be good.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Michael Giacchino has it locked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would have to cast my vote for Avatar.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    keky wrote

It's nowhere near as good as Slumdog IMHO. I don't really get why Up is winning everything (score-wise). I might disagree with a lot of awards bodies' choices for film music but I can usually understand why they pick the things they do. I just can't see it with Up, which seemed unremarkable in the film and away from it. Why is it getting so much attention when Ratatouille - just as successful a film, and a much more memorable score - didn't?

Completely agree with you there.

My bet goes to either The Hurt Locker or Up. Sorry Hans, I like the score, but the odds are against you.

Hurt Locker may or may not sweep all of the Oscars, but voters would be more inclined to think positively toward a score for a serious war movie. Up, even though it was an okay score for an okay movie, it was a score for a Pixar film, and that does counts for a lot.

Avatar might win too, despite its incredibly derivative score, if Avatar does win most of the technical awards.