• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWwT2Rh4QRc

Check it out and gave me your thoughts, good or bad (preferably constructive).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    Entertaining!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Yeah, it's fun, but some remarks for the future. The first one is purely technical and banal, I haven't uploaded a vid the way you did, but do change the tags, they have nothing to do with what the video is about, that is, if somebody looks up "Hans Zimmer Radio Flyer" he won't find this review.

Now to the bulk of the review. Generally the idea is really cool. Sometimes you behave a bit too obvious, like the wink you did when you mentioned the bootleg of A League of Their Own, but in general I can say this:

1. Using CDs is a great idea - showing different examples of a composer.

2. As I told you on MSN, I think music clips should be used, even play them "on camera" and discuss over the music, but this review of music lacked the music for me.

3. Analyze the score a bit more thoroughly. It seemed like you had some kind of a problem with naming themes, instruments. The review put online shouldn't have that, I think.

4. You had a time issue - you don't have to speak full 10 minutes. Either have a text written beforehand (and learnt by heart) or just finish earlier. Asking "what else can I tell you" doesn't build a good impression.

5 and last. I love the title of the reviews. If you edited the video rather than uploading directly via the webcam maybe you could think of giving yourself some kind of a title sequence for the next blogs. And of course, put your favorite theme over it.

Good first review. Most of what I told you was about the first time, but when you find the right form, you're gonna be great. You're able to maintain interest, be funny and your voice isn't monotonous, so as Demetris said, it's entertaining.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010 edited
    I pretty much agree with everything Pawel wrote.

- You NEED to write a script or at least have notes. I couldn't IMAGINE doing a radio show without a script. Trust me, I've done it before and I sounded HORRIBLE!

- Do some editing. Don't load a live clip directly to YouTube. Editing gives you a chance to cut out mistakes and whatnot and add in something creative - like an opening title!

- You need music underneath your review. When you are talking about a particular theme, motif or cue, have it playing underneath everything.

- Add some stills or video from the movie or showcase the CD art work. You are creating a video here... Broll is your friend.

- Lastly, keep it short. Under 5 minutes is good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    good advice from our resident expert Erik. He knows
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    What does Southall think?

Pawel, I'm not sure if I can get more tags for the video.
  3. And of course the main problem -- it needlessly ties up the speakers, when you could be listening to a score, but have to pause it just hear a review.

There was never anything wrong with a regular text review that doesn't include samples. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    Says the man who hasn't seen it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Well done. You have a talent for it. Most people fumble around madly in their earliest videos, but I think you did very well.

Personally I'd prefer reviews that are heavily edited. I think it's dull to sit and watch a person for so long. If you edit in CD covers, pictures and scenes from the movie, clips from the score and anything else you can come up with you can make it very interesting and fun to watch. Also keep in mind that you don't have to record it all in one go. Preparing carefully what to say, saying it quick and flawlessly, and recording a few sentences at the time is probably the trick to make it really good.

Might take forever to edit it all together at first, but once you get used to it, I'm sure it will become easier.

Peter smile
  4. KevinSmith wrote
    Says the man who hasn't seen it.

That statement is 100% accurate.

Also accurate: I'll be listening to film scores all day on hte computer, but only because I don't have a sound system of working CD player.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    Clips for next show.