• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    For a moment, i turned to the player to find out if i had accidentally loaded a Goldenthal score...

Massive dark orchestral textures, wholly organic and orchestral with a vast wall of sound, brass clusters, dissonance, Elfman-esque violin lines, cello and sax soli resembling TITUS, a choir a la Goldenthal and Brian Tyler's the killing room....WOW, JUST WOW.

It's simply BIOSHOCK 2 game score. Very impressive.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    I guess you do like it if it gets it's own thread. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I've heard a lot of truly great game scores lately, this, DARK VOID, Mass effect 2, Wataru's Resident Evil, Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales - Yury Poteyenko... if anyone told me 10 years that game scores would sound like this today, i'd never believe it.

I think it's about time film music should start taking notes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I suspect it won't be of everyone's tastes though, but i am very curious as to what Goldenthal lovers will have to say about it. Michael? Southall?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    I guess you do like it if it gets it's own thread. wink

Btw i hear no BUG in here. Maybe some of the calmer parts resemble his Killing Room score, but that's just it; Killing Room is Goldenthal influenced anyway and Bioshock 2 has far more complex writing and dissonance in it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It sounds like Bug early on in the score with the solo cello.

Btw, the score to the first game is available absolutely free and legal:

http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/B … _Score.zip

It isn't as primal and dissonant as the second, but it's haunting in it's own beautifully twisted way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    thanks for the link!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    :tipmyhat:

What's with my recent craving for dark, string lead scores? It's like chocolate...they're often sickly but I keep wanting more. lick

Edit: Shit, it's late. I've been listening for a long time. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Trust me. Once you learn to turn the volume up and enjoy those, there's no turning back. The power they hold is unmatchable by any other kind of music. Be careful though, you might end up like me, irritated by fluffiness wink

UPDATE FROM THE COMPOSER's SITE:
    http://www.garryschyman.com/garrymain2.html

February 9, 2010

I am pleased to announce that two projects for which I provided scores are coming out today Tuesday.

Dante's Inferno and BioShock 2 are both available today and I am very proud of both scores.

I am also please to say that reviewers and the developers I have worked with have been very generous in their reaction to my music in both.

A small sampling:

Destructoid Interview: The Music of Bioshock 2:
    http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid- … 2931.phtml

Original Sound Version: Review of Dante's Inferno Score
    http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=7400

And some photos from the BioShock 2 session:
    http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/197

The Dante's Inferno score is available on iTunes and Amazon MP3

The BioShock 2 score is only available to those who buy the special edition of the game for now.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    The BioShock 2 score is only available to those who buy the special edition of the game for now.

I'm sure glad I bought the game. wink

Btw, it's Garry (two "R"s) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    [thanks, edited]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    I've heard a lot of truly great game scores lately, this, DARK VOID, Mass effect 2, Wataru's Resident Evil, Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales - Yury Poteyenko... if anyone told me 10 years that game scores would sound like this today, i'd never believe it.

punk

Game music FTW.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Now all that's left is for orchestras to conquer television again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

punk

Game music FTW.

All the way my friend! I haven't been that much taken by in your face, orchestral power from film music for long now, with the exception of Elfman's THE WOLFMAN. Game music ftw, indeed.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    I suspect it won't be of everyone's tastes though, but i am very curious as to what Goldenthal lovers will have to say about it. Michael? Southall?

It may take me a little while to get to it. I'm interested however, based on your description.
    The thing that really makes Goldenthal for me is the tragic romantic voice at the centre of it. It gives all the orchestral mayhem a heart. Does this music have that?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Absolutely, it's based around that entirely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's thematic and very focused, coherent. It's less "epic" than Goldenthal, more on the harsh, modern side of things but nevertheless, it's outstanding in some areas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I've been listening to Bioshock 2 for the past three days now and I am totally won over by it!
    It's been perfectly described by Christodoulides. Including the "WOW, JUST WOW"!
    Garry Schyman has been one to follow since his wonderfully fun scores to Destroy All Humans (1 & 2) and I'm sure he will continue to impress with future projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap! Glad you like it, next on: DANTE'S INFERNO. I've been talking with the composer last night and he told me that he'd be interested to hear opinions on that score too; he seems pretty proud of both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DANTE'S INFERNO ...... can't wait!!! lick