• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Ah, screw that video thing!

My all time favourite Sherlock Homes is Jeremy Brett! Who is yours?

(I bet Timmer will come up with Basil Rathbone! wink )

Volker

Elementary my dear Volker biggrin

Yes, I'm afraid I'm predictable in that Basil Rathbone is my favourite Holmes.

Jeremy Brett may well be a close 2nd, he was brilliant!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013 edited
    No. I will come up with Basil Rathbone.*)
    His iconic presence (and that of Nigel Bruce as Watson) has defined Sherlock for ever (even if it weren't true to the books). It's made the mold for excentric, aloof detectives, which each and every stereotype (and arguable Star Trek icons Spock and Data) have taken a leaf out of for their books.

That aside, the films -anachronistic as they are: at times we find Sherlock foiling a Nazi plot- are just a sheer joy. And to my mind much more enjoyable than the rather humdrum books

That said, the Hammer House's Hound Of The Baskervilles (with Peter Cushing as Sherlock) is really a very good interpretation. As a side note Christopher Lee played Sherlock a few times as well, but never in very good films.

Special mention to Christopher Plummer, by the way, who set down an impeccable and fascinating study of Sherlock in the taut (but ultimately rather silly) Murder By Decree, which pits Sherlock against Jack The Ripper.

*): Oh! Too late. dizzy
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cushing's turn as Sherlock Holmes in Hammer's film was superb and what a superbly atmospheric version it was, it's my favourite.

Cushing played Holmes many times but I don't remember seeing any of them?

When Rathbone took on the Nazis? I'm guessing that was an early 40's Holmes film like when Weismuller's Tarzan ( Tarzan hate Nazi ) took them on?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Cushing's turn as Sherlock Holmes in Hammer's film was superb and what a superbly atmospheric version it was, it's my favourite.

beer

Did he?
    I only seem to remember the Hound.

When Rathbone took on the Nazis? I'm guessing that was an early 40's Holmes film like when Weismuller's Tarzan ( Tarzan hate Nazi ) took them on?

1942: Sherlock Holmes And The Secret Weapon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvL2nOd4uAo

Nazi henchmen 1: French! English! How I hate those languages!
    Nazi henchmen 2: Calm yourself, my dear Braun. In a short time there will be only one language.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ...speaking of whom (Sherlock), who else thinks that what Guy did with Sherlock Holmes is horrible? Cheesy, low-quality one-liners, poor jokes, all over the place story, messy and generally cheap...with awful scoring. Didn't like that at all, neither the first or 2nd movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I did enjoy the first one quite a bit, with the implied Dracula subplot.
    And the chemistry between the leads was superb.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have yet to see Ritchie's take(s) on Holmes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

beer

Did he?

Nazi henchmen 2: Calm yourself, my dear Braun. In a short time there will be only one language.

Of course! biggrin cool Despite being on YT I think I'll have to take an hour and 10 minutes of my time later and watch it again.

As for Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, here's some fascinating information for you Martijn. Damn but I want to see all these despite the problems mentioned.

http://www.bakerstreetdozen.com/Cushing1.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

beer

Did he?

Of course! biggrin cool Despite being on YT I think I'll have to take an hour and 10 minutes of my time later and watch it again.

As for Peter Cushing as Sherlock Holmes, here's some fascinating information for you Martijn. Damn but I want to see all these despite the problems mentioned.

http://www.bakerstreetdozen.com/Cushing1.html

p.s. I love the 'pipe man of the year' story biggrin