• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm sure it's very good, but to be honest I'm just not in the mood to see yet another world war 2 story.

I wouldn't mind a Vietnam mini series.

WW2 was the biggest event in all of History, there's tons of stories to come and which I would welcome.

On the history channel, yeah. But I'm bored of WW2 films and TV shows now. As Martijn pointed out, any more stories will probably just end up as variations on a theme: "Bad shit happened during 1939-1945, so don't let it happen again, okay?

Sadly we are bound to repeat those mistakes, from what it seems.

Still, i am fed up with those stories as well. There's so much different stuff in world's history which isn't covered well, or at all at sometimes. Time to cover some of those, or even better honor the past and move on.

I have no interesting in Pacific, from what you describe it it sounds like an extended version of the thin red line. The music on CD isn't very strong at all, it must have some good story-line on the backbone and / or pretty strong visuals to be elevated as such as you describe it 'cause on CD it's rather monothematic and poor.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ALL stories are variations on a theme.

Still, if you're bored then simply don't watch them, end of.

Well, yeah... that's why I'm not. But I'd rather see something more interesting (to me) in its stead.
  1. The problem is, stuff that´s actually happening in the world right now is of no interest to most of the public, or is so controversial that it won´t be watched out of protest. When Galactica started to include storylines about suicide bombings and prison camps, manipulated elections and similar stuff, it lost a big chunk of its republican viewership almost immediately. So guess what happens if someone tries to do a series about the real "achievements" in Afghanistan, for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    The music on CD isn't very strong at all, it must have some good story-line on the backbone and / or pretty strong visuals to be elevated as such as you describe it 'cause on CD it's rather monothematic and poor.

There are at least five themes in the show (and on CD)!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe i should re-listen. The first 4-5 listens gave me a band of brothers' rip and standard Zimmer dramatisms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    ALL stories are variations on a theme.

Still, if you're bored then simply don't watch them, end of.

Sure.
    I'm not questioning the dramatic value.
    I'm questioning the (perceived, and at times pushed and/or overblown) relevance.

Nothing wrong with a good WWII story. Nothing at all.
    But then that wasn't my point. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe I've cocked up in translation ( though that was in reply to Steven ), but I see where you're coming from now Martijn and in that respect I'm 100% with you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    I have no interesting in Pacific, from what you describe it it sounds like an extended version of the thin red line.

Not really, at least not for me (it's a document of events whereas Thin Red Line was much more than that). I must admit, with two episodes left to watch, I haven't found it remotely as compelling as Band of Brothers - but it's one of those things I feel guilty about being slightly bored by. I'm also now old enough that I can never really remember who any of the characters are from one week to the next. I'd probably have benefited from watching the episodes closer together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How you doin', James? wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I got 4 episodes into this series and gave up! I was bored to tears by the Leckie-in-love-soap-opera episode. Then the next week Leckie is treated for nocturnal enuresis. sleep I still have On-Demand options for the program so I might give this one another go some other time... but like James said The Pacific wasn't even remotely as compelling as Band of Brothers. I didn't care about the characters.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    I got 4 episodes into this series and gave up! I was bored to tears by the Leckie-in-love-soap-opera episode. Then the next week Leckie is treated for nocturnal enuresis. sleep I still have On-Demand options for the program so I might give this one another go some other time... but like James said The Pacific wasn't even remotely as compelling as Band of Brothers. I didn't care about the characters.

-Erik-

Give it another chance Erik. Be patient until Basilone's and Sledge's stories (specially Sledge's) become the main arc of the series. Not to mention the awesome action sequences in Peleliu / Iwo Jima / Okinawa and the moving last episode.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Truth to be told, Band of Bothers set the bar very highly in all aspects. From the stuff i read before and the snippets i've seen from the show and its music, i'd say that i'd probably agree with Erik and co, those who found it not interesting enough.
  2. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The problem is, stuff that´s actually happening in the world right now is of no interest to most of the public, or is so controversial that it won´t be watched out of protest. When Galactica started to include storylines about suicide bombings and prison camps, manipulated elections and similar stuff, it lost a big chunk of its republican viewership almost immediately. So guess what happens if someone tries to do a series about the real "achievements" in Afghanistan, for example.

Well they sure chickened out on that sort of content to get that audience back. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. You really think so?

[spoiler]What about the "let´s interrogate Baltar" episode? - Torture
    What about the episode with that serial killer doctor? - Racism
    What about the two-episode civil war within the fleet, or the problem of integrating former enemies into their own society?
    [/spoiler]

That all happened after the NC episodes, even close to the finale.
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You really think so?

[spoiler]What about the "let´s interrogate Baltar" episode? - Torture
    What about the episode with that serial killer doctor? - Racism
    What about the two-episode civil war within the fleet, or the problem of integrating former enemies into their own society?
    [/spoiler]

That all happened after the NC episodes, even close to the finale.

The 'Oath' stuff is great, as is 'Take a break from all your worries'. The Doctor episode feels a bit more like a ST:TNG episode with its self-contained obvious villain.
    Nevertheless, they are for the most part outliers, in a trend. A trend more typified by 'whose the fifth?' & 'how is she alive?' speculation and 'will <character X> and <character Y> deal with their feelings for each other?' wink
    It gets to the point where the social/political stuff was being cut from episodes so that there could be more speculation about who was having a key character's baby. Jane Espenson, why couldn't you go to Desperate Housewives?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am