• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    Hi everyone, I could use some of your help. I have to do some research about subjects in secondary schools in Europe that resemble Humanist Ethical and Worldview Education.

I know in Germany in secondary schools there is a similar subject Humanistische Lebenskunde.
    And I know in Belgium there is a similar subject Niet-Confessionele Zedenleer.
    I’m mostly interested when people had these subjects in high school and want to tell something about it. I know where to find the organizations and teachers, and will contact them too, but I’m curious who got these subjects as a student.

But I’m also interested in other related subjects, from people from outside Europe as well. So, did you get a subject like religious education, life view (life stance) education, ethical education, identity development or something like that in secondary school, let me know.
    wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never was educated in it.
    But I taught it. smile (Well, Ethics, that is. Not Humanist per se)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I can't help wit Zedenleer Bregje. I went to a catholic school.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Bregje I'll take a look at the Greek curiculum and let you know! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Bregje, I don't know how it looks today, but an "ethics" course was for those who wouldn't go to religion classes for world view reasons (parents decision mostly, a child can't decide on such things until you hit the age of 16).

I had obligatory Ethics classes in classes 1 and 2 in high school. They weren't good and not only because the teacher was rather zealously religious, but also because he just couldn't teach.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    When I was at school, ethics seemed to comprise a large part of RE (religious education). A shame really: if they're going to teach ethics, it should be taught as a separate subject. It's like they were teaching us that ethics are necessarily derived from religion, which is of course complete and utter baloney.
  2. Well, technically speaking 10000 years they were biggrin

Seriously, you do have a point here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Across the pond we had nothing.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregt wrote

OK. Did you get religion as a subject there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Stavroula wrote
    Bregje I'll take a look at the Greek curiculum and let you know! smile

Thanks, that would be nice. It's different in each country, so I'm curious to know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregje, I don't know how it looks today, but an "ethics" course was for those who wouldn't go to religion classes for world view reasons (parents decision mostly, a child can't decide on such things until you hit the age of 16).

I had obligatory Ethics classes in classes 1 and 2 in high school. They weren't good and not only because the teacher was rather zealously religious, but also because he just couldn't teach.

That's really helpful!
    So, you went to a public school?
    Do you remember some of the things the lessons were about? What did you have to do, learn, talk about? Did you use a certain book for that subject?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    When I was at school, ethics seemed to comprise a large part of RE (religious education). A shame really: if they're going to teach ethics, it should be taught as a separate subject. It's like they were teaching us that ethics are necessarily derived from religion, which is of course complete and utter baloney.

So what subject did you get, what was it called?
    And what kind of things were discussed?
    Was it mostly knowledge based or skills / attitude based?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, christ. It was a long time ago, so I can't remember a lot to be honest. Any ethics we were taught was taught in RE, but even then there wasn't much of it. Pretty much "You should respect everyone and everyone's opinion." (Which I don't agree with.)
  3. Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregje, I don't know how it looks today, but an "ethics" course was for those who wouldn't go to religion classes for world view reasons (parents decision mostly, a child can't decide on such things until you hit the age of 16).

That's really helpful!
    So, you went to a public school?
    Do you remember some of the things the lessons were about? What did you have to do, learn, talk about? Did you use a certain book for that subject?

I don't remember the subjects (in second class we just had speeches), there was no book. Yes, it was public school. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Ooh, christ. It was a long time ago, so I can't remember a lot to be honest. Any ethics we were taught was taught in RE, but even then there wasn't much of it. Pretty much "You should respect everyone and everyone's opinion." (Which I don't agree with.)

OK, thanks, I'll search for Religious Education then and see what I can find. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't remember the subjects (in second class we just had speeches), there was no book. Yes, it was public school. smile

Speeches? You mean the teacher talks and you listen? That's a shame. That was mostly knowledge based then, nothing to make your own mind work, nothing like moral development? I wonder what that was about. Whether it was theory of ethics or school telling you what was right. Neither is what I teach by the way. And theory of ethics belongs to philosophy mostly.
  4. No, no, we were supposed to prepare a speech, but usually it was in form of a lecture with no bokk whatsoever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    So, informative speech? Or an argument / plea kind of thing, your point of view?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Bregje wrote
    Bregt wrote

OK. Did you get religion as a subject there?

Yup. We sometimes focused a bit on other religions and 'the questions of life', but the answer was always found at religion. I think it overlaps sometimes with ethics (that is, as far as I know what it is)
    Kazoo
  5. Bregje wrote
    So, informative speech? Or an argument / plea kind of thing, your point of view?

Informative only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    So... I posted this in March and now I'm finally finishing this %^$#$#@#$%^ paper....
    It is interesting, but lots of stuff to read and I'm in the summer mood already... besides, I always read much more than I should, so it's hard for me to stay focussed on the actual topic and to keep it simple.

Anyway, I found two relevant articles.
    One by Peter Schreiner: Religious Education in Europe
    One by R. Jackson: Is Diversity Changing Religious Education? Religion, Diversity and Education in Today’s Europe

What they both emphasize in comparing countries is that there is usually difference between teaching about religion, teaching from religion and teaching into religion, the last one being indoctrination really. Also, it's very difficult to compare because it has to do with history of the country, state and religion, and with who is responsible for education.

I think 'religious education' (I'm not happy with that word as you may understand because it includes humanist and life view education, moral and identity development and ethics) is important because young people have to be prepared for society and they are going through important developmental phases so they should think about these kind of questions. This subject also has to do with who you are and who you are in connection with other people, the world, the environment, everything, so I think it's an important subject. School is not just about knowledge and 'RE' fits many of the standard aims all schools have when it comes to a full and complete development of young people, cognitive, emotionally, socially, morally, the whole thing.

So, basically I think it's important that people know something about religion (ABOUT). And it's important they develop their own life view and their own values (FROM). This last way of learning and teaching is what I do in my work. And it fits the neutral and public identity of the school which is based on humanist principles.

The links open as PDF documents.

Peter Schreiner (2005)

R. Jackson (2009)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    Actually I'd be MUCH more interested in your OWN paper. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010
    That won't be very interesting... you can hardly call it a paper.
    I'll just write down that I've taken notion of the above information. Then I have to describe what lessons could be given in Dutch HVO, as well as in Lebenskunde Germany and NCZ Belgium.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    ...except I just realised it's probably in Dutch?
    (I'd still be interested, but it'd sady go to waste for the better part of the forum sad )

EDIT: ha, you just pre-empted me. smile
    So it's more or less a summary of those two articles you link to, with some recommendations for educational purposes?