• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No, no scores coming from the legendary American composer, but for the first time, he's allowed extensive use of his music in a film. This allows I AM LOVE to officially have *the best trailer music ever*.

http://www.moviemaze.de/media/trailer/view/flash/49140/
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010 edited
    dizzy I just commented on that on your Facebook status.

Looks interesting. Surprising to see Tilda in this role, I didn't knew she speaks Italian.
    Kazoo
  2. And I just commented on your comment on my facebook status. dizzy dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    Great! I love it when the music is bold like that. Yared's music for Bon Voyage is another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    I think he made a great president. punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Clips and artwork for I Am Love.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Unfortunately I missed the film at the Sydney Film Festival this weekend. It should be out in cinemas later in the year though, given Tilda Swinton is starring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    I AM LOVE

CD COVER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images … mp;s=music

SOUND CLIPS

http://www.amazon.com/Am-Love-Soundtrac … mp;s=music

Product Details

Audio CD (June 15, 2010)
    Original Release Date: 2010
    Number of Discs: 1
    Format: Soundtrack
    Label: Nonesuch
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Doesn't sound like something i'd enjoy btw.
  5. I like some of the minimalism in some of the cues but it's not something I'd automatically want: particularly as it seems to be just a compilation of Adams' non-film music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. For me, this is some of the greatest music written in the second half the twentieth century. And finally someone's convinced him to let them use it. That alone makes it a must-see for me. I already have most of the pieces on previous albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm,..quite a bold statement. I'll have to listen to that in complete form.
  7. HARMONIELEHRE, respectfully, is THE STUFF. Doubt it nothing. As Timmer is my witness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    HARMONIELEHRE, respectfully, is THE STUFF. Doubt it nothing.

I doubt not.
    'tis not only the stuff, but even... yeah.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    HARMONIELEHRE, respectfully, is THE STUFF. Doubt it nothing. As Timmer is my witness.

Indeedy! punk beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. An article on the film ends with this section:

Among Guadagnino's elevated concepts and references is one undoubted coup. The film is is aided immeasurably by a score featuring compositions by John Adams.

Adams's music has hardly been used before in cinema. Guadagnino was unfamiliar with the minimalist work of Adams, who composed the operas Nixon in China and Doctor Atomic, until given a CD. He immediately felt it was the sound of I Am Love.

He believes it's better to use existing music for a score than to hire a composer, as so much great music exists. And Adams's piece from 1985's Harmonielehre took him four years to write, he adds, whereas film composers spend a month on a score. Alexandre Desplat, for instance, wrote for seven films last year; is he, Guadagnino asks, likely to be surprising, approaching his work the way Adams approaches a symphony?

Adams responded to Swinton's email within three hours and later was the first person to see the film. "I was so nervous," Guadagnino says. "I was sitting behind him with Tilda and at the end he was shaking his head and we thought, 'Oh my god, he hates it!'

"He said, 'This is a masterpiece and I'm very honoured for my name to be on this film', and now we've released a CD . . . which is one of the thrills of my life."

Interesting to see a director for an arthouse film slag Alexandre Desplat of all people as lacking John Adams' artistry. (While I agree Adams' Harmonielehre beats just about everything else written in the last couple of decades, Desplat isn't the first name that comes to mind when I think of productivity without art.) Still, he must have been a candidate for the job, I reckon, for his name to come up like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    One word: envy.

Anyway, the trailer looked very promising. The film is getting unusually high praises.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    Any good, valid bios for the composer available btw? Michael?
  9. John Adams?
    America's most prominent living concert hall composer?

(Incidentally, I don't agree that the director of I AM LOVE is envious of Desplat. He has Harmonielehre. Why would you be?)

EDIT - Here's his blog: http://www.earbox.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    I saw I Am Love (Io Sono L'amore) this weekend. All of the score was from library works of John Adams. I loved the music in the trailer and had to check the movie once it came out. The climax was particularly awesome with the triumphant Harmonielehre. Great, great usage for a tense scene! This was my first exposure to the music of John Adams and I will be getting the score. I do have some complaints about the music in some scenes but if you have a tremendous opening and closing scene scored like how it was, then all complaints are secondary.