• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LAKESHORE RECORDS TO RELEASE THE BABIES ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

Featuring The Perpetual Self, or “What Would Saul Alinsky Do?” by Sufjan Stevens
    With Original Music Composed by Bruno Coulais

"If you were enraptured by ‘March of the Penguins’, wait until you see ‘Babies.’"
    -Susan Wloszczyna, USA Today

(April 27, 2010- Los Angeles, CA) – Lakeshore Records will release the Babies -- Original Soundtrack available digitally (iTunes and Amazon Digital) and in stores on May 4, 2010. Bruno Coulais (Coraline, Les Choristes [The Chorus]) composed the original score. The album also features The Perpetual Self or “What Would Saul Alinsky Do?” by Sufjan Stevens, as heard in the trailers for the film.

Coulais’s score to Les Choristes earned him an Academy Award™-nomination, A BAFTA Award-nomination and won a Cesar Award. Other credits include Lucky Luke, Villa Amalia, and the Academy Award-winning Winged Migration.

Coualis’ scores are innovative and idiosyncratic with their combination of orchestral pieces, toys, ethnic instruments and children’s voices. Mixing orchestra and adding contrapuntal themes tease additional meanings and emotions from a scene according to Coulais.

Coulais writes the original score and also acts as his own orchestrator. “For me it’s very important to make my own orchestrations because when I think of melody, I think of it with the instruments I’ll write with,” says Coulais. “Depending on the density of sequence, sometimes I will have just a few instruments -- strange instruments like the water phone. It’s a metallic percussion where you put water on a kind of basin with a tube and a bowl. You can play notes on it, and it’s a strange, beautiful, very deep sound.”

The adventure of a lifetime begins…

Directed by award-winning filmmaker Thomas Balmès, from an original idea by producer Alain Chabat, Babies simultaneously follows four babies around the world – from birth to first steps. The children are, respectively, in order of on-screen introduction: Ponijao, who lives with her family near Opuwo, Namibia; Bayarjargal, who resides with his family in Mongolia, near Bayanchandmani; Mari, who lives with her family in Tokyo, Japan; and Hattie, who resides with her family in the United States, in San Francisco.

Re-defining the nonfiction art form, Babies joyfully captures on film the earliest stages of the journey of humanity that are at once unique and universal to us all.

“The music of Babies was written for a very special orchestra that included a lot of toys, a string quintet, wind orchestra, ethnic instruments, piano and percussion,” says Coulais. “The words of the lyrics have no meaning. The vocals sound like the beginning of human language.” Although the cast of Babies is international, “we didn’t want to adapt the music to the nationality of the babies, but to be universal.” Vocals were recorded by French artist Rosemary Standley.

Focus Features present Babies in theaters Mother’s Day Weekend (May 7, 2010). Babies original score on Lakeshore Records will be available on May 4, 2010.

###

For more information contact: cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    One of Coulais' weirdest scores...what do you people think of it? I am having a hard time understanding his intentions with this one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Underscoring babies' antics, I would presume?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, yeah, that would make sense. I can't listen to that score though.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Underscoring babies' antics, I would presume?

An extreme case of mickey mousing then?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, it's not mickey mousing. It's something else, more abstract.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. I see.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Ah. I see.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

I heard some of the tracks on SST. It's fun! Lots of vocals but interesting indeed. I will probably break down and buy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, of course, if you're into this kind of stuff; i, myself, will stick to the gorgeousness of his WINGED MIGRATION and HIMALAYA works.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Ah. I see.

lol
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    BhelPuri wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I heard some of the tracks on SST. It's fun! Lots of vocals but interesting indeed. I will probably break down and buy it.

I listened to some excerpts on itunes but wasn't sure if I should get this one. It isn't on the music me site yet. I'll wait to hear it there first before making a decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    He has much better scores; i don't think you'll like this smile