• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. BobdH wrote
    2. Thomas Newman - The Good German (2007)
    It's gotten some respect for what it is - a throwback to golden age filmscoring - but it might be the presentation on album that keeps people from loving this. However, it's among the most impressive things Tommy has done. Setting his own style aside almost completely, he really gave the film exactly what it needed, with some great themes to boot.

It probably won't happen for a long time, but it would be great for Newman to revisit something even closely resembling this style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, Pretty good selections there; i frequently revisit most of those...the Cell is brilliant; it's Howard Shore doing Goldenthal better than Goldenthal and i'd advice anyone who's into this kind of music but not familiar with it yet, to look it up. Cracks is beautiful, really beautiful, especially the latter half of the album. I am surprised it didn't get the attention it deserved 'cause usually, this type of music does.

Thanks! beer
    Had you heard Fireflies already? I remember you were once about to seek it out... but forgotten whether you had heard it already or not?

I am not sure confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    BobdH wrote
    It's gotten some respect for what it is - a throwback to golden age filmscoring - but it might be the presentation on album that keeps people from loving this. However, it's among the most impressive things Tommy has done. Setting his own style aside almost completely, he really gave the film exactly what it needed, with some great themes to boot.

It probably won't happen for a long time, but it would be great for Newman to revisit something even closely resembling this style.

I didn't get that score when it came out; but it's the case of music that really needs its time to show its graces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, Pretty good selections there; i frequently revisit most of those...the Cell is brilliant; it's Howard Shore doing Goldenthal better than Goldenthal and i'd advice anyone who's into this kind of music but not familiar with it yet, to look it up. Cracks is beautiful, really beautiful, especially the latter half of the album. I am surprised it didn't get the attention it deserved 'cause usually, this type of music does.

Thanks! beer
    Had you heard Fireflies already? I remember you were once about to seek it out... but forgotten whether you had heard it already or not?

I am not sure confused

In that case you haven't! You wouldn't forget this one lightly, and I really think this is up your alley! Once you're melancholic, sad, or just in a peaceful mood, hear it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked sold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    BobdH wrote

That would be great, but I honestly don't think that'll happen. It's probably a once-in-a-career thing, especially since it didn't do well commercially.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    BobdH wrote

I didn't get that score when it came out; but it's the case of music that really needs its time to show its graces.

It got an Oscar nomination in 2007 but was defeated by Babel (don't ask). Maybe if the movie got better reviews, Newman would've gotten more momentum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I remember. I am listening to fireflies now......turns out i had it sitting somewhere but never actually listened to it! shame I like what i hear so far...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010 edited
    You're right, I forgot about that! Well deserved, the nomination, and should've won! (at least above Babel, of course). And, alright, it did get more recognition than I remember, but it's rarely mentioned when people talk about Tommy. Probably because it's in a completely different style.
  3. Maybe it's because I love him so much, but Newman needs to do something big. He's kinda petered out this past decade. Too bad Andrew Stanton hopped on the Giacchino bandwagon...he was Tommy's best chance at something epic and grand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Too bad Andrew Stanton hopped on the Giacchino bandwagon...he was Tommy's best chance at something epic and grand.

Really? I missed about this one? I thought the new composer wasn't confirmed yet?
    See it on IMDb now as well... darn! Bad news indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010 edited
    'Underrated' (meaning I've rarely even seen this mentioned on this forum):

Stargate: The Ark Of Truth Joel Goldsmith

Pretty much the best of Joel's style for the Stargate TV shows all packed neatly in one score. I love it.

Actually, it's probably a bit better than his TV scores. More time and bigger budget I guess?