• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    It came to me, when discussing something similar elsewhere with some great guys, that there's one factor we're not taking into account, and it came from the recent incident with LAST AIRBENDER. The studio execs / album producers left the choir out of the commercial album 'cause they didn't want to pay additional re-use fees.

The point has to do with economy and the more general universal financial background these days. Everyone seems to be cutting off expenses anywhere they can these days; maybe this is also a reason why studios seem to prefer the rc with less actual musicians and more work done in cheaper studio ways with vst instruments and choir? I think we are not taking that factor into account much and since everything's business these days, esp. hollywood, i'd bet it also plays its role as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    RC composers were writing cheap scores for big projects even BEFORE Fall 2008... cool

Besides that, good point...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but they were popping up everywhere, at least not in that frequency we see them now. More and more studios turn to them now, i suspect they're the cheap, easy and faster solution these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Why is that the main category that MV excels at is animation scoring?

Because, with the greatest of respect to the people who write the music and the people at Dreamworks Animation who make the films, the animated films which get scored by MV are pretty disposable comedies full of pop culture references, usually without anything going on beneath the surface and so nothing complicated is required of the music and the lack of a singular vision for the score (caused by it being composed by committee) is not a problem. But Dreamworks Animation is not Pixar. Give Wall-E or Ratatouille to Rupert Gregson-Williams, Ramin Djawadi and half a dozen others to score and I don't think we'd be talking about them excelling at animation scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    KevinSmith wrote
    Why is that the main category that MV excels at is animation scoring?

Antz, Chicken Run, Steamboy, Wallace & Gromit, Bee Movie, Over the Hedge, perhaps Shrek.

I think it has partly to do with time - composer can often get involved in an animation project at a very early stage, 4 years before, or more.

Though here I'm talking about animation scoring in general, not specific about MV/RC stuff.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp