• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Same reason I would not want to get rid of a CD that I, at the moment, don't like. My tastes are likely to change in the future.

True, and it happens to all of us, a lot. But that's different styles that our liking towards them changes with the time...not the same thing in expanded forms.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Same reason I would not want to get rid of a CD that I, at the moment, don't like. My tastes are likely to change in the future.

True, and it happens to all of us, a lot. But that's different styles that our liking towards them changes with the time...not the same thing in expanded forms.

Exactly. Apples and oranges. The latter goes directly to the core of how one perceives a given artform, the fundamentals of why you appreciate something in the first place. That's not likely to change over time, although interest in styles and genres (and perhaps even interest in music per se) definitely can.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    Oh and a note to Kevin: leave the fsm crap out of here please.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    I'd say it's quite simple. If there's already an official 1-disc release out there, for example with ID4, Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, then great that there's a fuller release coming on the market for the completists. With Lord of the Rings, I had a full on listening experience when I got the complete recordings and loved every minute of it. Especially together with the booklet, it was fascinating how Shore used his themes. I still regularly visit parts of the score that wasn't released the first time around. If you don't love the music this much, then fine, this is not something for you. Then stick to the very well produced 1-disc.

However, that first release, when the score is released for the wide audience, it should be put together the way it makes for the best listening experience. And some work fantastic in a 45-minute album, others are broader in it's emotions and can allow themselves a 70 min. release. As stated before, the album producer should make this call, otherwise it goes against the apreciation of the music.

As such I sometimes hesitate to call Varese a good label - a lot of their releases were overlong and poorly put together (what's wrong with gapless tracks?! It makes for a jarring listen if you keep hearing the mic going off and on between tracks!). Scores by Clint Mansell or Zimmer, on the other hand, are always very well represented on album. The Fountain in particular, it's like a standalone symphony. In those cases, I don't care if I'm missing stuff, as in many cases I don't see the film. Or I detach the two, as the film got forgotten. I just want to be swept away by the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    However, that first release, when the score is released for the wide audience, it should be put together the way it makes for the best listening experience. And some work fantastic in a 45-minute album, others are broader in it's emotions and can allow themselves a 70 min. release. As stated before, the album producer should make this call, otherwise it goes against the apreciation of the music.

You said it! Although I wouldn't necessarily put a time limit on it. The length of the album arrangement depends on the nature of the score. There are some scores that can stand up to a 70+ minute presentation (LOTR; STAR WARS...), while others could grate at 20. The important thing is just to RE-ARRANGE the music, making it the best possible REPRESENTATION of the score (including all - or most - highlights and putting it together in a way that makes musically sense).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    Ehm....rereading what you wrote, I just realized that we didn't disagree on the time limit and did in fact say the same thing!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hehe, I completely agree with you as well! I also don't necissarily mind a rearrangement, as the CD is a totally different thing than the film. Of course you want something of a narrative structure, but if the film calls for 3 repeated statements of the main theme, separated by silences or underscore that doesn't make it to the album... Then why not rearrange those tracks so you dont't tire of that theme? (just an exaggerated example, but it applies to more cases).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Of course it doesn't apply to every score... Close Encounters' brilliance for example is for a great part in the build-up towards THAT finale... in that case you shouldn't butcher it up. Here, the full 70+ min. release is hands down the best there is. But the score also warrants it.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and a note to Kevin: leave the fsm crap out of here please.

What did I do?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Unless I'm blind, NOTHING, as far as I can see? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I will join Timmer as a confused onlooker with this issue taking reception to Kevin.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010 edited
    Basically this is a thread talking about whether albums are better with more music or with less... pretty much the same complete and chronological argument all over again. Thor is participating in this thread. Kevin mentions the following...

"There is a point of just because you don't think something is worthwhile to include on the album, doesn't mean someone else feels the exact same way."

All that starts a chain reaction that leads us to an inevitable C&C war.

explode

"Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ah, I see.

I must admit I started the whole thing to get flamed for my preferences. I didn't expect people would take it seriously.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Erik Woods wrote
    Basically this is a thread talking about whether albums are better with more music or with less... pretty much the same complete and chronological argument all over again. Thor is participating in this thread. Kevin mentions the following...

"There is a point of just because you don't think something is worthwhile to include on the album, doesn't mean someone else feels the exact same way."

All that starts a chain reaction that leads us to an inevitable C&C war.

explode

"Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse."

-Erik-

But we can still kill it!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Of course it doesn't apply to every score... Close Encounters' brilliance for example is for a great part in the build-up towards THAT finale... in that case you shouldn't butcher it up. Here, the full 70+ min. release is hands down the best there is. But the score also warrants it.

I actually think the original Arista(?) album is superior, and just recently sold my expanded version. It's not so much the finale (and the build-up to that) that I find troubling, but the nature of the score prior to that. Some unnecessary "filler" music, some abrupt changes in mood and just plain boring stuff. The original album maintains the finale build-up, but is also a more smooth listening experience prior to that (albeit challenging). Just perfect (if you're in the mood for a score that takes you from Ligeti-type dissonance to Debussy-type lyricism).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Wait, is Planet Earth getting more music released?

No, but I felt I could take another disc of Fenton contributions to the BBC, based on my memory of good stuff left out of the current albums.

I definitely agree, or even music from Earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2012
    Here is another topic that I re-visited that is still appropriate. Little has changed.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not surprised, it's been dead since 2010.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I don't have to hear every note.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Please, don't bate Thor. For the love of god...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A little discussion is good.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    cry
  3. Case for:
    Capricorn One
    The Great Escape
    Jaws

Case Against:
    Hans Zimmer
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.