• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Where? The last post I can see by him is about that disqualified Broughton song, over a month ago... confused

Same here. Stop being so mysterious, Steven!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a couple of new posts he's made. Also, Zimmer has been responding in a thread on Mikael Carlsson's page. Interesting stuff to see composers talk so candidly like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Guess I'm not seeing it because I'm not Folk's facebook friend.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It does seen strange that it doesn't show up on his page? I can see his comment from 24th January where he's "chiming in" on the Best Song debate. But nothing since then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do see Mikael's post, though, but I guess that's because we're friends.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! Robert Folk is my new best friend! (Now if only he'd be willing to set me up on a date with his daughter...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd not blame him if he flamed Gravity. I thought it was a mediocre score and certainly not Oscar material.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. IMO you are both very wrong then.

Anyway I never take one artists view of a fellow artist (and competitor) all too serious. There is way too much envy involved.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MMkay.

"Robert Folk Exactly Mikey... this is my problem. It's become The Popular Film Awards. That's Not Good!"

Does anyone have actual arguments against this? 'cause this is what the Oscars has become and it's evident each and every year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although i can't see the Zimmer comments etc, Steven...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Zimmer replied to a post made by Mikael Carlsson (spurred on by Folk's original post on facebook).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, sorry, i just realized it correctly, thanks smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can't see Folk's comments either. But what else would the Oscars be, if not a popularity contest!? Isn't that the whole point? What a bizarre complaint. That's how votes tend to work - the most popular entrant wins.

I enjoyed seeing the banter on Mikael Carlsson and Scott Glasgow's Facebooks. Zimmer spoke a lot of sense on Mikael's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    https://www.facebook.com/robert.folk.35?fref=ts
  3. Bearing in mind that I can't see any of this discussion, I think what Folk is specifically complaining about is the tendency for scores to popular/acclaimed films winning, almost regardless of the music's quality. The "a merely okay score can sound amazing when in a very good movie" effect. I've never quite understood why in a category like Best Makeup, a critically panned film like The Lone Ranger can net a nomination, but the score category seems quite slavishly tied to good films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    From his Facebook page:

The Oscar Show was not what it should have been. Cringeworthy is the word being used most often by top critics, and I have to agree. As "beloved" as Ellen is, she really catered to the lowest common denominator from beginning to end. Gone are the hallmarks of what an Oscar Broadcast should embrace. Words like: Inspired, Grand, Moving, Elegant, Important, Celebration of The Best in Film, etc., cannot be associated with The Oscars this year.

And regarding the Best Song and Best Original Score categories -- Academy Music Branch Members must totally regroup moving forward. Out of roughly 6,000 Academy Members, our Branch only has about 280 Members. All of these members, myself included, have to really raise the bar in future years regarding what songs and scores are nominated by our Branch. We are spending too much time gravitating toward what is perceived to be the films and the music that are likely to win.

Instead, we should be focusing solely on the quality of the songs and the scores. We cannot continue to be influenced by what seem to be the most popular choices. We cannot cave in to worldwide media, and mass advertising. We should only nominate the very best, most artistic music from the abundance of films being considered, instead of climbing on board the popularity train that starts rolling down the track a month before the nominating period begins.

Many highly artistic songs and scores that deserved to be nominated were totally ignored this year. These highly artistic efforts were replaced once again with "the most popular choices." And, the fact is, that once a song or score is nominated by our 280 Music Branch Members, "Anything Can Happen." Why?.... Because the remainder of the 6,000 Academy Members know relatively little about music. They in turn "vote the popular vote"... because they do not have enough of a knowledge base to comprehend what would truly be the Best Achievement in Song or Score.

I was deeply saddened by the final results in the music categories this year. The only thing that can change this in future years is for the nominations to produce a result where no nominated song or score can be allowed to sneak in, unless the work is absolutely, unequivocally the very best, most highly artistic achievement of the year. There cannot be one entry that falls below that standard. If some "popular choice" is nominated, instead of something of true, absolute artistic merit... then we will have more of the same disheartening results that occurred during last night's Oscars. Much like the politics in Washington D.C., we have lost sight of the true purpose and the mission statement of what The Academy Awards are supposed to be.

Let's begin today, the day after the awards, to focus on how we can make next year's Oscars an Inspiring, Artistic Event, one that will show the entire world why The Academy Awards have true meaning and purpose, and at the same time, can be an event that is exciting, uplifting, inspiring and wildly entertaining for a worldwide audience.

To Tom Boyd......There is a reason for John's 49 Nominations and his 5 Oscars. John is The King of All Composers. No One Worldwide even comes close to his level of Brilliance. It's Pathetic that he did not Win his 6th Oscar last night for his Incredible Score for THE BOOK THIEF. It's actually Criminal. I am a Proud Academy Voter of 30 years. I am truly proud to be an Academy Member. I cherish the organization.

But.... we Music Branch Members need to be much more focused during the nomination process. We let ourselves down last night. By the way.... some folks here on FB have taken my recent remarks as being overly negative. Not as all! In fact, it is constructive criticism that I would like to offer.... so that moving forward we can preserve the actual real meaning of The Academy Awards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bearing in mind that I can't see any of this discussion, I think what Folk is specifically complaining about is the tendency for scores to popular/acclaimed films winning, almost regardless of the music's quality. The "a merely okay score can sound amazing when in a very good movie" effect. I've never quite understood why in a category like Best Makeup, a critically panned film like The Lone Ranger can net a nomination, but the score category seems quite slavishly tied to good films.

A very good point Edmund.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, yes, I can see that. But it's the music branch (i.e. the composers) who nominate the things. By the time they get their automatic Williams/Desplat/Newman nominations out the way, they only have two slots left.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Robert Folk wrote
    To Tom Boyd......There is a reason for John's 49 Nominations and his 5 Oscars. John is The King of All Composers. No One Worldwide even comes close to his level of Brilliance. It's Pathetic that he did not Win his 6th Oscar last night for his Incredible Score for THE BOOK THIEF. It's actually Criminal. I am a Proud Academy Voter of 30 years. I am truly proud to be an Academy Member. I cherish the organization.

Jesus wept. It's only an award. It doesn't actually matter. It isn't "actually criminal", it's just that your favourite wasn't the same as other people's favourite. People are spending $25,000 on sending elaborate gift hampers to Kevin Spacey and Julia Roberts to try to get them to vote for a certain film in the Oscars when the same amount of money would stop literally hundreds of people dying from malaria in Tanzania. There's something worth focusing your energy on.
  4. Southall wrote
    Well, yes, I can see that. But it's the music branch (i.e. the composers) who nominate the things. By the time they get their automatic Williams/Desplat/Newman nominations out the way, they only have two slots left.

That's part of what makes the Academy's behavior so baffling to me, but I think Folk raises a very good point when he says they purposefully nominate things that have an actual chance of winning, e.g. Gravity or The Artist, both of which are extremely prominently placed in their films due to the unique approaches to (and frequently lack of) sound in both, or Her, The Social Network etc., which will have an automatic "popular artist bonus". Yes, they could nominate something like Stalingrad or Grand Piano or Priest or There Be Dragons, but what percentage of the 6,000 Academy members is actually going to listen to those scores or see those films? They'd rather concede defeat without even fighting.
  5. There is a reason for John's 49 Nominations and his 5 Oscars. John is The King of All Composers. No One Worldwide even comes close to his level of Brilliance.

Is that irony or does he mean that seriously?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Southall wrote
    Robert Folk wrote

Jesus wept. It's only an award. It doesn't actually matter. It isn't "actually criminal", it's just that your favourite wasn't the same as other people's favourite. People are spending $25,000 on sending elaborate gift hampers to Kevin Spacey and Julia Roberts to try to get them to vote for a certain film in the Oscars when the same amount of money would stop literally hundreds of people dying from malaria in Tanzania. There's something worth focusing your energy on.

Much more importantly, what's with the strangely capitalized words there, Mr. Folk? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True that, but you know how these things are in the US.. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2014 edited
    WORD!!!

Southall wrote

:batman: KAPOW!!!! explode
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Southall wrote
    I can't see Folk's comments either. But what else would the Oscars be, if not a popularity contest!? Isn't that the whole point? What a bizarre complaint. That's how votes tend to work - the most popular entrant wins.

Most awards - no matter how hard they try to be otherwise - tend just to be popularity contests.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. Captain Future wrote
    There is a reason for John's 49 Nominations and his 5 Oscars. John is The King of All Composers. No One Worldwide even comes close to his level of Brilliance.

Is that irony or does he mean that seriously?

If I hadn't seen Robert's name associated with the comments I would have assumed it was a bit of a "fanboy" rant.
  9. yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    Robert Folk certainly has a lot to say recently? His sudden activity on Facebook is causing quite a bit of chatter between composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014 edited
    Once you're bitten by the bug, all floodgates open! smile

I must say that I agree with something markrayen said on facebook -- that more and more composers are coming out to debate the issues of the industry instead of just staying in their isolated ivory towers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    I'm glad that someone is causing a stir. I hope more RC composers chime in to give their perspective on things (I would be particularly interested in Henry Jackman's thoughts on his most recent score.)