• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I feel like I should know this since I've been listening to so much of his music, but what does it mean when someone describes a score as "Herrmannesque"? I've heard it used for scores like Roque Banos' The Machinist and Desplat's Ghost Writer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2010 edited
    Well, there are several aspects to his sound that would fall into that category.

There are the small "clusters" that he keeps repeating and modulating. Herrmann felt that these motifs were more flexible in the depiction of the irrational, instaed of the more "rational", developped melodies.

There's also what I call the "chord-stop" effect (in lack of a better word), often also employed by Patrick Doyle, i.e. the build-up of a chord, only to end in a full stop, then a brief pause, then repeat. This can often result in a very intense sound; perhaps even a bit grating at times.

There are other things too, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.
    I am extremely serious.