• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXOPqdb … r_embedded

I know that some people praise Randy Edelman's score for Gettysburg (and some people trash it). I liked the movie and score but I still decided to try something different by using pre-existing music in for the opening. For inspiration, I didn't need to go farther than Bill Conti. His theme for the TV Civil War mini series North and South is one of his best. So I put 2 and 2 together and see what would happen. I know that it would be better if the music exactly matched up but I think it does pretty well.

NORTH & SOUTH is one of my favourite film themes for a show to which I have a nostalgic connection.

But I'm not sure it's fit for that sequence. First, because it's supposed to be more of a lush, romantic theme in vein of "Tara's Theme" from GONE WITH THE WIND, and less a militaristic "call to arms" theme which GETTYSBURG is more about. Second, because it doesn't really fit the narrative of the title sequence. It fails to hit the synch point of the show's title, for example, and you seem to fade it out and start up again a couple of minutes out.

It's a fun experiment, I guess, but one needs to find a theme that is more in synch with the show's tone and also more specifically tailored to the editing and narrative. It would require some work, I think.

You know, you could try to do this.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited
    Wish I had the time, skill and desire to, Kevin. Unfortunately, I don't. I was never really into these alternative "what if" thingies. But it's often fun to see other people give it a go -- like that James Bond contest you did awhile back.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011
    You know the Edelman's cue missed the Gettysburg Title too.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    Original score by Tyler Bates:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Uxqt1Hai4

Re-score by James Horner:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkHIH2Nq_Ss

When I was browsing the internet for future composers challenge clips, I came across the wheat field scene from 300. I had not seen the movie and have heard only negative comments about Tyler Bates`s score. When I muted the scene as a basis for the creative process, `All is Lost` a cue from The New World came to my head. I think it must have been the rolling piano chords at the beginning. I know that this sound is totally different than Bates did in the film, but I think it works.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I absolutely refuse to watch anything with Barbra Streisand in it.

-Erik-

Timmer approves of this and awards Erik 1000 kudos points.

What about Yentl? Some of the songs in this film are excellent! BTW, I am not joking.

I reckon THE WAY WE WERE is quite a nice film. Women love a man who will enjoy that one with them.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    Nice topic!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KevinSmith wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmCrokrk8s

Philip Glass scoring a James Bond scene.

Where's the original scene please? a link?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The scene is unscored originally, D.
    There IS no music to compare it to.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (but if you search on YouTube on 'From Russia With Love Train Fight' or words to that effect, the scene should pop up a dozen times or so)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    The scene is unscored originally, D.
    There IS no music to compare it to.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry left it unscored, the right decision IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt