• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Thor wrote
    rolleyes

Roll your eyes all you want but I could cluster a couple of chords together, program in some samples and spit out a 4 notes motif that would equal what Reznor and Ross created.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    If there hadn't been a score, it would almost be a 'talking head' documentary, and that is NOT what this film is about. It's a FICTION film with a particular style, one driven by montages, dialogue, arty lighting and character development. The music is crucial in providing the rhythm, pace, emotional ebb and flow -- yet at the same time not overpowering the aesthetic chosen by Fincher.

But the score is almost inaudible in the mix making it useless. And just because of a film has no score doesn't turn it into a documentary. Did The Birds suffer without music? Did the first two thirds of Cast Away suffer without music? No. The performances carried the picture and The Social Network would have been just fine without an "original" score. Actually, just a songtrack would have been far more suitable.

-Erik-

Those are different films with different aesthetics altogether. They're DESIGNED to work without score and instead rely on the musicality of the sound design alone. SN is not. It's very much designed to have a score of this kind to have the desired effect, and to add a human and/or filmic element to the narrative.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor makes some good points on the usage of the score, the extra groove and oomph of the social situations in the movie. But you continue to prove that your problem is the Oscar and not the score itself smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Ahhh, a spare seat with Bregt

popcorn popcorn

Feeling entertained are you now?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... what about Network. The China Syndrome. Dog Day Afternoon.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the Oscars (even though I thought it was well-deserved).

I'm only concerned with how it works as a film -- and the fight for defending alternative ways to score a film.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Ahhh, a spare seat with Bregt

popcorn popcorn

Feeling entertained are you now?

biggrin biggrin

popcorn popcorn
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor makes some good points on the usage of the score, the extra groove and oomph of the social situations in the movie. But you continue to prove that your problem is the Oscar and not the score itself smile

Who was this aimed at? I'm here because Thor's knocked Powell's Dragon as conventional just because it is more in line with a traditional symphonic score (as if that's a bad thing.)

I like alternative ways to score a film as well... if it's done well.... just as long as it's not a score that a group of pre-school kids could pound out during play time.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same thing.

But it's really a dead end to discuss how it would or wouldn't work without a score. Nobody knows, unless we saw it without the score. It's more fruitful to focus on how it DOES work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here's the thing.

Forget the friggin Oscars.

1. Dragon has a great score. I don't agree with dissing it.
    2. Social Network has a very good score that enhances the movie.

No need to go into the battle of Oscars again, that's my point. Judging the scores alone as they work for the film they were made for, is my point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just for clarification, I wasn't dissing DRAGON. I thought that was a wonderful, entertaining, old-fashioned score with elements of Zimmer. But originality wasn't one of its strenghts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Give me unoriginality any day over dreadful boring drones.

Give me Space Battleship Yamato any day over The Social Network.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same thing.

No, it's not...especially when it comes down to The China Syndrome because it initially did have a score written for it.

Thor wrote
    But it's really a dead end to discuss how it would or wouldn't work without a score. Nobody knows, unless we saw it without the score. It's more fruitful to focus on how it DOES work.

But it's doesn't work. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Give me unoriginality any day over dreadful boring drones.

Give me Space Battleship Yamato any day over The Social Network.

What's that got to do with it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    POWER TO AMBIENT AND BEATBASED ELECTRONICA!!

punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Just for clarification, I wasn't dissing DRAGON. I thought that was a wonderful, entertaining, old-fashioned score with elements of Zimmer. But originality wasn't one of its strenghts.

I had never heard those themes or motifs before... have you? And an Celtic themed score written for Vikings... have you ever heard of that before? By the way, the Celtic theme was quite fitting. And again, I point to you the Forbidden Friendship cue if you are looking for something different in an epic, adventure score.

And just because a score is original doesn't mean it's good.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    No need to go into the battle of Oscars again, that's my point. Judging the scores alone as they work for the film they were made for, is my point.

I have been.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Same thing.

No, it's not...especially when it comes down to The China Syndrome because it initially did have a score written for it.

Thor wrote

But it's doesn't work. wink

-Erik-

Erik, do you know who wrote the score for China Syndrome ( I have a vague recollection it was Michael Small or Dave Grusin ), it's been a long time since I saw the movie but I remember thinking I thought it would have worked better with a score, like I said, it's been a long time so I don't know whether a reassesment would change my mind?
  2. Michael Small did it and it was released on album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The China Syndrome was indeed Michael Small and his unused score was released by Intrada Records. When I first saw The China Syndrome I applauded the fact that there was no music. There are just some films that are told so perfectly that a score would distract from the drama unfolding on the screen.

Or you get a film like Jaws where the score saves the film completely.

What I don't like are these scores that are just there and don't have anything particularly interesting to say in an outside of the film.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    The China Syndrome was indeed Michael Small and his unused score was released by Intrada Records. When I first saw The China Syndrome I applauded the fact that there was no music. There are just some films that are told so perfectly that a score would distract from the drama unfolding on the screen.

-Erik-

I completely agree, like I said though, it's been a long time since I've seen it. This discussion reminds me of a debate we all had many moons ago about SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, a film that, arguably, needed no score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree with that. However, I do like the opening "Revisiting Normandy" cue. Love the first use of the main theme "Omaha Beach" but the rest of that cue - the Copland meandering - is fluff. "High School Teacher" is the best cue on the album. And I really like the final statement of the main theme during "The Last Battle." But the rest can go and it wouldn't be missed. Thank God the Omaha Beach invasion was left unscored.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

I had never heard those themes or motifs before... have you? And an Celtic themed score written for Vikings... have you ever heard of that before? By the way, the Celtic theme was quite fitting. And again, I point to you the Forbidden Friendship cue if you are looking for something different in an epic, adventure score.

And just because a score is original doesn't mean it's good.

-Erik-

Of course not. There are nice scores like DRAGON (which aren't particularly original) and original scores which aren't particularly rewarding (like TERMINATOR or FORBIDDEN PLANET). At least if you're talking soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I've just finished reading this thread and I have to say I agree 100% with Erik. I've seen The Social Network three times... once on DVD from Netflix when I first watched the movie, then a second time a couple of days later when I watched it in order to specifically listen to the score, and then I watched it again a couple of weeks ago when it was shown on American TV.

The one thing I noticed, especially in the second viewing, was how much the score was almost entirely inaudible in the movie. With the exception of the opening piece Hand Covers Bruise when Zuckerberg is running through the University, an uptempo dance-music style piece for the frat party, and the rowing sequence, I could barely identify ANY other cues in the film - and I was really *really* listening because I wanted to understand what all the fuss was about with the score.

Erik's point is well made - the film would have been absolutely no different had there been no score. A score's purpose is to enhance the dramatic narrative of the film, to make the viewer feel the right emotions at the right time, and to support the "filmic" nature of the film, as Thor rightly says. For TSN, it fails on every single one of those parts, because you can't hear it, and if you can't hear it, it's having no effect on the viewer, so it might as well not be there. Having a score which is indistinguishable from the ambient white noise of the film, its sound effects and its source music undermines the entire point of the score existing in the first place.

I'm not talking about the album - I actually like the album - but in the context of the film, with those couple of exceptions I mentioned, the score is utterly redundant. They should have just scored it with songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have you thought that maybe it doesn't have any effect on you? Or, for that matter, a portion of listeners?

Also, many composers suggest that if a score can be 'hidden' underneath a film and do its work silently without drawing attention to itself, then it does its work and original purpose.
  4. Yes, absolutely it has no effect on me, because things which are inaudible have no effect on me! Somewhere in the world someone is using a pneumatic drill right now, but because I can't hear it, it doesn't affect me. That's the point I'm making.

There's a difference between a "hidden" score which affects the viewer silently and without drawing attention to itself (I'm thinking things like David Shire's Zodiac, which has been mentioned in this thread, and which was excellent IMHO), and a score like TSN, which is so buried deep down in the sound mix that it is virtually indistinguishable from the sound effects and the film's ambient white noise.

A hidden score still has to be heard by the audience in order to be felt. How do you feel something you can barely even hear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Also, many composers suggest that if a score can be 'hidden' underneath a film and do its work silently without drawing attention to itself, then it does its work and original purpose.

It's not suppose to be silence but it can be subliminal... I guess. But the music is suppose to be apart of the experience to help enhance what ever it is on screen.

John Williams mentioned this once in his interview on the Nixon enhanced CD. He talks about people who say that the best film music is the music that isn't noticed. And while the general movie going audience rarely NOTICES the music when watching a film as you would in a concert hall they still should still get that "emotional pull, hit or tug in the gut that the music puts there that ISN'T there until you put it in the scene." IMO, The Social Network doesn't have that quality.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Yes, absolutely it has no effect on me, because things which are inaudible have no effect on me! Somewhere in the world someone is using a pneumatic drill right now, but because I can't hear it, it doesn't affect me. That's the point I'm making.

Are you sure it was not the encoding? Perhaps you heard the part that is stripped away when the recording was encoded to mp3. I'm just guessing why you didn't hear anything. Perhaps super ears might have heard it?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I saw it in the theatre and on DVD. I actually prefer my home set up to the theatre and I have to concur with Jon (who at the same time is agreeing with me confused dizzy wink ) that the score is mixed way too low for it to have any sort of impact!

-Erik-
  5. I'm chipping in with a comment on The China Syndrome. I didn't like Small's score for the film at all and haven't listened to it again after that first listen. A great example of a score that was best left out of the film.

Personally, I love this film and still remember seeing it on TV for the first time. I think that the film was so well made that no music is needed to heighten the tension in the film. And I suppose that the lack of music adds to the documentary feel to the film...and even to making the film seem like real life unfolding - with there being no music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn