• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Christian wrote
    "Powell's Dragon very conventional..." and Social Network wasn't generic, bland and uninteresting?:

No, not in my opinion. It was original, fresh and perfecly tailored to a film driven by dialogue and technology.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Most film score fans loathe a score such The Social Network.

That is undeniable FACT of life.

I know that because I loathe it too.

wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    I know. Even moreso over at FSM.

But I love them. In fact, they're why I became interested in soundtracks in the first place (albeit an earlier version of electronic music).

That's how the world turns. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Haha, luckily most score fans aren't like you dude... wave

It all depends what kind of music you like to listen to apart from scores. If you're into that kind of electronic ambient texture-filled stuff, than such a score would be most welcome.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Haha, luckily most score fans aren't like you dude... wave

It all depends what kind of music you like to listen to apart from scores. If you're into that kind of electronic ambient texture-filled stuff, than such a score would be most welcome.

Interestingly, I'm even MORE into that stuff now than before I became interested in soundtracks and listened to other kinds of electronica. So such scores are very welcome indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Interestingly, I'm even MORE into that stuff now than before I became interested in soundtracks and listened to other kinds of electronica. So such scores are very welcome indeed.

I haven't seen the film or heard the score so no opinion from me, all I'll say is I like to hear "different" especially if it works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Just because film score fans or fanboys loathe it, that alone doesn't make it a bad film score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I admit that it works in the film, but that works both ways. The film would just have been as great without that score. It seriously didn't enhance anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I admit that it works in the film, but that works both ways. The film would just have been as great without that score. It seriously didn't enhance anything.

In your opinion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    I thought Powell's DRAGON was fine, but it was very conventional.

rolleyes

Knocking the score because it is more in line with a traditional symphonic score is just ludicrous!

And "Forbidden Friendship," for instance, was not a conventional cue!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I haven't seen the film or heard the score so no opinion from me, all I'll say is I like to hear "different" especially if it works.

And it's in the film where it fails... miserably! And this isn't a knock against electronica so don't even go there. Like I've said before, take the score out of the picture and you have the EXACT same film. The score does nothing to enhance the visuals or emotions on the screen... and don't point to "In the Hall of the Mountain King" because that's not even original music.

Horrible score and one of the worst to be award the best original score Oscar!

DreamTheater wrote
    I admit that it works in the film, but that works both ways. The film would just have been as great without that score. It seriously didn't enhance anything.

I didn't see this post. We are on the same wave length! beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

And it's in the film where it fails... miserably! And this isn't a knock against electronica so don't even go there. Like I've said before, take the score out of the picture and you have the EXACT same film. The score does nothing to enhance the visuals or emotions on the screen... and don't point to "In the Hall of the Mountain King" because that's not even original music.

Horrible score and one of the worst to be award the best original score Oscar!

DreamTheater wrote

I didn't see this post. We are on the same wave length! beer

-Erik-

My thoughts exactly! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well obviously opinions on this one once again differ (what a surprise eh? wink ) 'cause i belong in the side of people who think this really works and enhances the film and particularly the director's shooting style and montage; i think what exaggerates some peoples' opinion is the Oscar relation.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the score in the film is CRUCIAL to its effect. It's a film with so much dialogue (too much at times, IMO) that it adds a needed audiovisual element to make it "filmic" enough. It also adds extra oomph to the dialogue scenes by staying discrete in the background -- and then letting showpiece numbers like the rowing sequence become all the more powerful. And then there's the technological aspects of the story mirrored so wonderfully in the sample-based music. It's a masterclass in subtle & original musical storytelling, and one of the most deserved Oscars in years.

But I'm not surprised that opinions are divided. It's not a type of music much favoured by more traditional film music fans (as Gilles says), who usually prefer more in-your-face stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How does it enhance the film? I've been asking that same question ever since the film came out and no one can give me a straight answer. I've seen the film TWICE and remember NOTHING of the score. What scenes EXACTLY are enhanced by the score and if the score was taken out of that said scene(s) would it make any difference? And the music itself is just so dull and lifeless. Look, I don't mind subtlety in a film score but The Social Network score was completely useless. If you want to hear an electronic score that does what it's suppose to do then check out BT's Monster!

What boggles the mind is that a far superior electronica effort that year was complete ignored; Tron: Legacy. Not so much ignored by the film music community but by the main stream media and major award organizations.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I mention some of the aspects above, Erik.

TRON: LEGACY was far better received in film score circles (I adore that one too!), but it did have a fair amount of more traditional orchestral colours to make the crossover easier. Plus it's a whole other type of film, where music is allowed to hit you in the face more overtly.

I seriously don't see how SOCIAL NETWORK could be scored any other way without making it another film altogether. It would be seriously at odds with Fincher's approach and style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I seriously don't see how SOCIAL NETWORK could be scored any other way without making it another film altogether. It would be seriously at odds with Fincher's approach and style.

No music at all! The film DIDN'T need it! But it's there... and the issue I have is that it's not that great! It's just there and it's blaaaaaaaaaaaah! Giving stuff like this a major award just goes to show that... oh shit... you won't believe this? My daughter is watching Little Einsteins and guess what classical piece they are showcasing? "In the Hall of the Mountain King." No word of a lie!

crazy suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

No music at all! The film DIDN'T need it!

-Erik-

Precisely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Quite the contrary, I think it DESPERATELY needed it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christian wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Precisely!

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    The Oscar should be dropped from the topic in this case. Has nothing to do with the actual 'score'. That's a whole different topic which is nothing more than politics and money. Nothing to do at all with talent and consideration of others works. This score won before it was even announced. (oops- talking about the Oscar again. my bad dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    popcorn
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Bregt wrote
    popcorn

Hahahaha. That's the funniest thing I've seen in a month. LMAO. That's awesome. I needed that Bregt. You're the best
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Bregt makes a great point. The point is that *I* need to get a life and discuss something more valuable to my future.

hahahaha. Still laughing. That's just hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If there hadn't been a score, it would almost be a 'talking head' documentary, and that is NOT what this film is about. It's a FICTION film with a particular style, one driven by montages, dialogue, arty lighting and character development. The music is crucial in providing the rhythm, pace, emotional ebb and flow -- yet at the same time not overpowering the aesthetic chosen by Fincher.

In my view, it fullfills all these aspects. And then some.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON > THE SOCIAL NETWORK

You know what... one of the biggest issues I have with THE SOCIAL NETWORK is that it is a series of drones and a wimpy little tunes that my 5 year old could have pounded out on the piano upstairs. And that's NOT a fanboy statement. Anyone of us, including Justin, could have "written" the score to The Social Network.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    rolleyes
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhh, a spare seat with Bregt

popcorn popcorn
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    If there hadn't been a score, it would almost be a 'talking head' documentary, and that is NOT what this film is about. It's a FICTION film with a particular style, one driven by montages, dialogue, arty lighting and character development. The music is crucial in providing the rhythm, pace, emotional ebb and flow -- yet at the same time not overpowering the aesthetic chosen by Fincher.

But the score is almost inaudible in the mix making it useless. And just because of a film has no score doesn't turn it into a documentary. Did The Birds suffer without music? Did the first two thirds of Cast Away suffer without music? No. The performances carried the picture and The Social Network would have been just fine without an "original" score. Actually, just a songtrack would have been far more suitable.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christian wrote
    This score won before it was even announced. (oops- talking about the Oscar again. my bad dizzy )

lol

Indeed!

-Erik-