• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. What, in your opinion, is your favorite review of a film score, and why?

I finally read Christian Clemmensen's review of Avatar a few days ago, and I was amazed at the level of detail he went into explaining why the score worked so well, even going into a track-by-track analysis of the individual themes. He's done the same for other Horner scores and even a few of Williams' works. I'm still not a huge fan of his site (he is WAY too harsh on Thomas Newman), but I can at least appreciate how well-written and deliberate his reviews are.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2010
    This is not something I've ever really considered?

I'd better say ALL the people who review on this site otherwise I might get hurt. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    I'm just average Tim. But I've improved over time.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What many of you do know is that this reviewing has been wonderful for brain therapy from the stroke. I've talked to survivor groups about this very topic.
  2. Timmer wrote
    This is not something I've ever really considered?

I'd better say ALL the people who review on this site otherwise I might get hurt. wink

you're not hurting anyone Tim, I know I don't come close to even the ankles of a Christian Clemmensen, but I'm happy I can at least offer a reading something you don't find anywhere.

Faults, grammatical errors, bad writing and an occasional sharp writing style

Hey, at least it's different smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. I have much respect for those who have the talent to get their thoughts down on paper and the time management skills.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. "OMG! This score rocks! You should go buy it. IT'S AWESOME !!!!!!!"

Best review I've ever read.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have much respect for those who have the talent to get their thoughts down on paper and the time management skills.

Time skills is a whole different issue smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    By far the people on Amazon who rate things one star because it doesn't contain any songs.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    "OMG! This score rocks! You should go buy it. IT'S AWESOME !!!!!!!"

what are you talking about? smile
    you're talking about Inception?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    My favorite review will always be the one that begins-

Through history, there have been many, many stupid people. There have been some exceptionally stupid people. One or two have been so stupid as to make you want to weep. But there's probably only one person who is more stupid than an eight-week old piece of toast, and that is whoever was responsible for rejecting Ennio Morricone's score for What Dreams May Come. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/200108220411 … icone.html

Even if James considers some of his 'lost' reviews to be embarrassingly bad, they convey the essence of all that needs to be said about scores, with the gift of brevity and passion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same characterizations apply to the dickheads who rejected Yared's Troy too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BhelPuri wrote
    My favorite review will always be the one that begins-

Through history, there have been many, many stupid people. There have been some exceptionally stupid people. One or two have been so stupid as to make you want to weep. But there's probably only one person who is more stupid than an eight-week old piece of toast, and that is whoever was responsible for rejecting Ennio Morricone's score for What Dreams May Come. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/200108220411 … icone.html

Even if James considers some of his 'lost' reviews to be embarrassingly bad, they convey the essence of all that needs to be said about scores, with the gift of brevity and passion.

smile
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

No just your average teenage film score fan commenting on his most recent found treasure in utmost detail.

I don't think your reviews sound anything like that, yes? confused
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

No just your average teenage film score fan commenting on his most recent found treasure in utmost detail.

I don't think your reviews sound anything like that, yes? confused

hell no, I just do it for the angry mails wink