• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That's a great one Tom. I thought it was a really fun and clever way to pay homage to the original music and complimented brilliantly by the pastiche of the original costumes and dancing which are on screen with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    I enjoyed the small tribute paid Steiner in the new Peter Jackson King Kong Film.

There was Steiner in James Newton Howard's KING KONG?? Where?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. See my "Family Guy" parody thread then.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. It's not on the album and it's not really a part of Howard's score. Quite a number of segments of Steiner's score are used during the 'King Kong show' in the theatre at the end, the idea being it is diegetic music played in the show. Great cameo by Howard Shore as the conductor in that scene too, I wonder if Jackson asked him if he wanted to keep the cameo in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I enjoyed the small tribute paid Steiner in the new Peter Jackson King Kong Film.

There was Steiner in James Newton Howard's KING KONG?? Where?

No no no. In the film. When they unveil Kong on stage the orchestra (led by Howard Shore) plays a portion of Steiner's original score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    It is not on the album. Quite a number of segments of Steiner's score are used during the 'King Kong show' in the theatre at the end, the idea being it is diegetic music played in the show. Great cameo by Howard Shore as the conductor in that scene too, I wonder if Jackson asked him if he wanted to keep the cameo in.

Ah, that scene! I remember.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a very nice tribute
    listen to more classical music!
  4. As I recall, someone -- maybe it was Dan, pointed out while it looks like Shore, it wasn't Shore in that scene.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. sdtom wrote

Oh! I forgot about that. I loved that Howard Shore was in the movie
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Was!? Wasn't!? HELP!!!! dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    It's Shore. His wife is in the audience too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim to the rescue! biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. This thread has seamlessly morphed from score cameos to composer cameos, love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    This thread has seamlessly morphed from score cameos to composer cameos, love it!

I think the longest film score composer cameo could well be JOHN BARRY in the 1968 film DEADFALL.

DEADFALL

Barry first appears around the 1 minute 15 seconds mark, gorgeous piece of music too. cool
  7. John Chambers wrote
    This thread has seamlessly morphed from score cameos to composer cameos, love it!

Jerry in Gremlins 2. Love that one. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, see the "copy-paste" topic too in combination with this topic here.

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … te/#Item_4
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Jim Ware wrote
    It's Shore. His wife is in the audience too.

Also he was in Return of the King, as a drunk guardian of Rohan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote

He's in GREMLINS too.
  9. I remember hearing James Horner's beloved 4-notes of doom in the score for Seven Pounds. Interesting...
  10. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    John Chambers wrote

He's in GREMLINS too.

Really? shocked Never noticed him before. Can you pinpoint the moment when he appears, I have the film so I can check it later.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I only ever saw the film once, I honestly can't remember? I do remember he has a line in it though.
  11. You saw the film only once??? I've watched it at least 10 times ! It was and still is a childhood favourite. biggrin But how could I have missed Jerry all these times. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Beats me! I've seen the original Gremlins numerous times, I thought Gremlins 2 was great fun but for whatever reason have never seen it since, I'm sure I'll catch it on TV at some point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    John Chambers wrote

I think the longest film score composer cameo could well be JOHN BARRY in the 1968 film DEADFALL.

DEADFALL

Barry first appears around the 1 minute 15 seconds mark, gorgeous piece of music too. cool

No comments on this? How often do you get film music played in a film working as both underscore and with the truest right to be there?

I'm not sure I've worded this rightly but I think you know what I mean. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Beats me! I've seen the original Gremlins numerous times, I thought Gremlins 2 was great fun but for whatever reason have never seen it since, I'm sure I'll catch it on TV at some point.

OK. I'm confused. I thought you were talking about Gremlins 1 you said you only saw once, but you were referring to Gremlins 2. But I know for a fact he appears for a couple of seconds in part 2 and has a line in it. My original question though: is he also in the first film? I don't think so, unless he was dressed as a huge gremlin... biggrin
  12. He's in the first film as well but unfortunately has no lines this time. It's the scene where Billy's Dad calls home from the inventing convention. Goldsmith is in the next booth with a hat on which is holding his phone! Spielberg is also in the scene driving round them in a buggy with his foot in a cast and there are a couple of other fun sci-fi cameos in the scene too. I just checked my blu-ray, its 43mins in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned James Horner's cameo in Wrath of Khan yet.
  13. Actually, I think Howard Shore made a cameo in Peter Jackson's King Kong towards the end.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    It's not on the album and it's not really a part of Howard's score. Quite a number of segments of Steiner's score are used during the 'King Kong show' in the theatre at the end, the idea being it is diegetic music played in the show. Great cameo by Howard Shore as the conductor in that scene too, I wonder if Jackson asked him if he wanted to keep the cameo in.

As you can see, Kevin, it's already been mentioned.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As for "score" cameos it's pretty hard to beat The Simpsons, I wouldn't know where to start or end on a list of film scores used in it.