• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010 edited
    Who's going? tongue

I have been invited multiple times by Elin so far, so we'll see.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010
    I believe the whole MT gang has received multiple invitations from Elin by now tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I haven't!

But I have resolved to go to either this or Ubeda this year. When do they announce who will be appearing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010 edited
    Things like that are only final-ish up to a week before the event, so by the time Ubeda starts, nothing will be known about Ghent yet.

My advice: if money isn't an issue here, or if both are equally expensive for you, go to Ubeda by all means. Infinitely better scenery, great weather (if you enjoy warmth and sun) and a lovely location. Ghent is great and fun as well, with usually big guests, but expect a weak year since the last one was huge, and on all other aspects it's something like a budget version of Ubeda.
  1. Southall wrote
    I haven't!

But I have resolved to go to either this or Ubeda this year. When do they announce who will be appearing?

If we could get a few from the UK going to meet up at an event then that would be great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ubeda is better than Ghent imo however it needs to have a strong group of composers going (and MT gang) to warrant the trip.
    Is it mostly a European fest (aka most of the fans that attend are European)?
    Wouldn't it make more sense to combine Ubeda and Ghent into one large event?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ubeda is at the corner of the world. As long as this does not change a lot of people are going to stay away from it. As for combining the two festivals in two . . Good luck with that !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011
    So who might be up for the pilgrimage to Ghent or Ubeda this year?
  2. I'd certainly be interested. It's been a few years since I went to Madrid and I miss the whole experience of a film music-oriented gathering of this type.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. And all we need is the transport
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And all we need is the transport

Ha!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    And all we need is the transport

Now THAT would be cool cool

My friends dad travelled from London - Kathmandu on a converted double-decker bus in the early 1970's, I think it was a very "hippy" thing to do back then.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    figure out an inexpensive way to get me over there
    listen to more classical music!
  4. Hi,

Apparently I'm the instigator of all this, LOL.

Well, let me just state officially that I live only 20 minutes by car or train from Ghent and that MT-people are very welcome to crash at my place to reduce their costs if it makes them come to Ghent.

Furthermore, I would like to complicate things even more, and remind everybody that there is also Fimucite in Tenerife that i'm sure can rival Ubeda in weather issues.

It'll depend on who's attending and that is the week point for all these soundtrack concerts: they anounce so damned late.

But count me in in as many concerts that take place next year and that:
    a) don't coincide with one another
    b) have MT members present
    c) don't coincide with a Bear McCreary concert which apparently is in the pipeline for 2011

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  5. There is a film music festival in Krakow, in Poland. The date is set for late May already, will provide more data when I find them. I'm there for sure.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. If we can get any information on these events as early as possible then that will help a lot.
  7. I might put together a few suites of music and gather together several film music-related DVD extras and start a North Wales film music event!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's too early in the year to say if I will be able to attend any film music festivals in 2011. I would certainly like to, though. Especially Ubeda.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It's really early indeed, but some news regarding Úbeda coming soon smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I might put together a few suites of music and gather together several film music-related DVD extras and start a North Wales film music event!

I would be there! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Things like that are only final-ish up to a week before the event, so by the time Ubeda starts, nothing will be known about Ghent yet.

That's not fair Bob. Ghent announces its main guests for WSA in May/June. The other main concert is announced a bit later, but all well in time.

My advice: if money isn't an issue here, or if both are equally expensive for you, go to Ubeda by all means. Infinitely better scenery, great weather (if you enjoy warmth and sun) and a lovely location. Ghent is great and fun as well, with usually big guests, but expect a weak year since the last one was huge, and on all other aspects it's something like a budget version of Ubeda.

Odd reasoning that Ghent would be a weak year. It certainly will not be a 10 set guestlist, but I'm sure it'll be interesting enough to warrant a visit!

For the UK'ers, I think Ghent is a really comfortable possibility. Train is easy (Eurostar from London + train to Ghent = 2,5hours). Ghent is a medium sized, beautiful city, with lots of interesting places and bars.

Ubeda is not easy to get to, even from Madrid. But it's also a great location, and the atmosphere is excellent, moreso than Ghent, because the former is smaller and cosier, and the latter a bit too big. On the other hand, Ubeda is extremely hot around that time of the year, and I'm not looking forward to that again.

As for Tenerife, that's the festival where the PR is horrible. Remember that last year the concerts were announced 1,5 months beforehand...

Pawel, keep us updated about the Krakow festival, because also that one does not present itself enough.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    For the UK'ers, I think Ghent is a really comfortable possibility. Train is easy (Eurostar from London + train to Ghent = 2,5hours). Ghent is a medium sized, beautiful city, with lots of interesting places and bars.

I can easily attest to that. It has easily become one of my favourite European cities, which says something when compared to the likes of Paris, Budapest and Prague. I WILL return....if not this year, then maybe next.

By the way, I once did an article on the European film music festivals I was aware of. Check it out for a few more suggestions (there is one in Cardiff too, which we haven't mentioned):

http://montages.no/2009/10/filmmusikkfe … nes-nisje/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011
    The World Soundtrack Awards 2011 will include a concert with music from Hans Zimmer, Elliot Goldenthal and Howard Shore, as well as Abel Korzeniowski for Discovery of the Year. All composers will be attending. shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    Bregt wrote
    The World Soundtrack Awards 2011 will include a concert with music from Hans Zimmer, Elliot Goldenthal and Howard Shore, as well as Abel Korzeniowski for Discovery of the Year. All composers will be attending. shocked

Are you kidding?? Btw, didn't Korzeniowski win the Discovery of the Year prize LAST year?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011 edited
    I'm not! Just got the press release.

Abel will bring music from A Single Man and his latest for the Hollywood film W.E., as he was the Discovery of the Year winner last year.
    Kazoo
  8. this is fucking amazing punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    Vote for the Public Choice Award (last year went to A Single Man). You can win VIP tickets for the concerts on October 22, with Zimmer, Goldenthal, Shore and Korzeniowski:
    http://www.worldsoundtrackacademy.com/n … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo