• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011
    Film Composer of the Year
    Award can be presented in respect of one film or in respect of a body of work in the year

Alexandre DESPLAT
    A Better Life, Tamara Drewe, The Burma Conspiracy, The King’s Speech, The Tree of Life, The Well Digger’s Daughter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Hans ZIMMER
    Inception, How Do You Know, Megamind, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Dilemma, Rango, Kung Fu Panda 2

Clint MANSELL
    Black Swan, Faster, Last Night

John POWELL
    Mars Needs Moms, Rio, Kung Fu Panda 2

Patrick DOYLE
    La Ligne Droite, Thor, Jig

Best Original Film Score of the Year

INCEPTION by Hans Zimmer
    THE KING’S SPEECH by Alexandre Desplat
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
    BLACK SWAN by Clint Mansell
    TRUE GRIT by Carter Burwell

Best Original Song written directly for a Film

‘WE BELONG TOGETHER’
    from “Toy Story 3”
    music & lyrics by Randy Newman
    performed by Randy Newman

‘YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE LAST OF ME’
    from “Burlesque”
    music and lyrics by Diane Warren
    performed by Cher

‘COMING HOME’
    from “Country Strong”
    music & lyrics by Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey and Troy Verges
    performed by Gwyneth Paltrow

‘I SEE THE LIGHT’
    from “Tangled”
    music by Alan Menken
    lyrics by Glenn Slater
    performed by Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi

‘IF I RISE’
    from “127 Hours”
    music by A.R. Rahman
    lyrics by Dido (Dido Armstrong) and Rollo Armstrong
    performed by Dido & A.R. Rahman
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks! I'm guessing Zimmer will take the awards, since he's actually there.

By the way, I can't really say that the press agency is the best I've encountered. Very slow communication at times, which is frustrating both for me and my magazine.

Still haven't received confirmation that the press accreditation has come through alright, nor any info on possible interviews, press conference etc.

Grumble, grumble.....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I told you. tongue
    Kazoo
  1. In some ways it feels like modern film music has collapsed to some iconic battle between Zimmer and Desplat, so these nominations are appropriate. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Desplat's easily the best of all the nominees, but they'll likely have to give Zimmer something as he'll be there - like Thor said. I dislike Thor.

Wait, I ran ahead of things: I could live with Doyle being picked as Best Composer, too, though, on the basis of La Ligne Droite, that is. I dislike Thor.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Desplat's easily the best of all the nominees, but they'll likely have to give Zimmer something as he'll be there - like Thor said. I dislike Thor.

Wait, I ran ahead of things: I could live with Doyle being picked as Best Composer, too, though, on the basis of La Ligne Droite, that is. I dislike Thor.
    wink

LOL! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/23 … announced/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    Alexander Desplat third time in a row Film Composer of the Year

The World Soundtrack Academy announced tonight the winners of the World Soundtrack Awards 2011, the closing event of the 38th Ghent International Film Festival. Alexandre Desplat was chosen as Film Composer of the Year 2011. Hans Zimmer went home with the award for Best Orginal Film Score of the Year for Inception. Randy Newman received the World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Song Written for Film with We Belong Together from the film Toy Story 3. Alex Heffes received the Discovery of the Year Award for The First Grader & The Rite . The Public Choice Award went to A.R. Rahman for the film 127 hours. Giorgio Moroder received the World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award.

Both the ceremony and the concert were attended by world famous composers such as Gabriel Yared (The Talented Mr. Ripley), Hans Zimmer (Inception), Elliot Goldenthal (Batman Forever), Giorgio Moroder (Scarface), Walter Murch (Apocalypse now), Alexandre Desplat (The King’s Speech), Alex Heffes (The First Grader & The Rite) and Abel Korzeniowski (Last Year’s Discovery of the Year with A Single Man) During and after the ceremony The Brussels Philharmonic performed music.

The winners:

Film Composer of the Year
    Alexandre DESPLAT (A Better Life, The Burma Conspiracy, The King’s Speech, The Three of Life, The Well Digger’s Daughter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 1, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2)

Best Original Film Score of the Year 2010
    INCEPTION by Hans Zimmer

Best original song written for Film
    WE BELONG TOGETHER from TOY STORY 3
    By Randy Newman

Discovery of the Year
    Alex Heffes for THE FIRST GRADER & THE RITE

Public Choice Award
    127 Hours by A.R Rahman

Sabam Award for Best Young European Composer

Gabriel Heinrich

Lifetime Achievement Award
    Giorgio Moroder
    Kazoo
  2. I shall never quite understand the "Discovery of the Year" award.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Me neither.
    Kazoo
  3. me third, or the public choice award. Did so many people really vote for 127 Hours?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I shall never quite understand the "Discovery of the Year" award.

1) They want to act like the authority festival in the field of filmmusic (good thing they give Moroder a Lifetime Achievement Award then); 2) It's a bit like the Tour de France's stage programme leaking ahead of time; and 3) It's their way of making sure at least one composer whose music is played shows up that year!
  4. Number 3 did come to mind. There are so many composers writing for small-scale films that should really be the "discovery".

Organisations should keep an eye on that group of composers and identify one that stands out and merits the award. THAT'S a discovery!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    me third, or the public choice award. Did so many people really vote for 127 Hours?

I can only speak for myself, but I thought that 127 hours was one of the best 'musical' movies I saw because of the great marriage of pop/funk songs and dramatic score. It's a guy trapped in a cave for two hours, you need music wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    francis wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    me third, or the public choice award. Did so many people really vote for 127 Hours?

I can only speak for myself, but I thought that 127 hours was one of the best 'musical' movies I saw because of the great marriage of pop/funk songs and dramatic score. It's a guy trapped in a cave for two hours, you need music wink

I agree wholeheartedly. I've said it before, but the rain sequence is pure brilliance in terms of musicovisual marriage.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    Great film, dreadful music smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Why Alex Heffes as a Discovery Of The Year? If he's know from several years ago. I know him since the year he scored the two part film about the 2004 Tsunami, and after that, The Last King Of Scotland.
  6. Thor wrote
    francis wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I agree wholeheartedly. I've said it before, but the rain sequence is pure brilliance in terms of musicovisual marriage.

it shows that people will always disagree, glad you guys at least liked the music
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh