• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

Alan's Patrick Doyle recommendation worked out well for me. This one did not. Horrendous.

Is it generic wallpaper...or worse??

Sub-Gladiator/King Arthur rubbish.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really D? I think both Michael Collins and Braveheart are stunning scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    1492 - Vangelis

I haven't listened to this since 199-something. Haven't watched the film for even longer. That's important, because a long enough period has now passed since watching the film that listening to the music doesn't send me into fits of giggles at how silly it is in the film. I can now just enjoy it for what it is, a clever and imaginative instrumental album that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the film, which Vangelis presumably can never have even seen nor known anything about.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

Alan's Patrick Doyle recommendation worked out well for me. This one did not. Horrendous.

Cripes! Even less than two scores I barely care about, I'll stear well clear.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    1492 - Vangelis

I haven't listened to this since 199-something. Haven't watched the film for even longer. That's important, because a long enough period has now passed since watching the film that listening to the music doesn't send me into fits of giggles at how silly it is in the film. I can now just enjoy it for what it is, a clever and imaginative instrumental album that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the film, which Vangelis presumably can never have even seen nor known anything about.

I seem to remember that John Barry was seriously considered for scoring duties at one point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    1492 - Vangelis

I seem to remember that John Barry was seriously considered for scoring duties at one point?

I remember hearing that too. Though maybe it was the other Columbus movie (which would make sense, since it was directed by John Glen, wasn't it?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011 edited
    No, it was definitely the Ridley Scott one. Barry does have a couple of connections with Scott, his early short film Boy On A Bicycle and the early 90's Kodak commercial.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

King Arthur OK, it's nothing special, but Gladiator certainly is a worthy score? One of my Zimmer favourites for sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 'BOOM!' - John Barry

a real curio, kind of psychedelic soundscapes with a Barry touch, it's incredibly dark at times and I truly love this score, it's less than 30 minute running time never outstays it's welcome but be warned, anyone expecting any Dances With Wolves/Out of Africa style lushness will be sorely disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

King Arthur OK, it's nothing special, but Gladiator certainly is a worthy score? One of my Zimmer favourites for sure.

Well, he said "sub-" smile

I absolutely love both King Arthur and Gladiator although the latter is indeed a highly superior score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Really D? I think both Michael Collins and Braveheart are stunning scores.

Hmm not a huge fan of Braveheart, just portions of it. But it's a good score overall, can't say the contrary. It's just that i am personally not so crazy about it. But i'd disagree if we were talking Titanic wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I seem to remember you're not really a fan of "celtic" sounding scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Black Stallion Returns - G Delerue

Ah! Ha! Ah!
  2. Give me MICHAEL COLLINS.

Give someone else BRAVEHEART.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    I seem to remember you're not really a fan of "celtic" sounding scores.

Well, in general i'd say yes, but there are exceptions smile

Southall wrote
    The Black Stallion Returns - G Delerue

Ah! Ha! Ah!

Speechless, eh? smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Give me MICHAEL COLLINS.

Give someone else BRAVEHEART.

No "Sophie's Choice" here, I can haz both. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : 'BOOM!' - John Barry

a real curio, kind of psychedelic soundscapes with a Barry touch, it's incredibly dark at times and I truly love this score, it's less than 30 minute running time never outstays it's welcome but be warned, anyone expecting any Dances With Wolves/Out of Africa style lushness will be sorely disappointed.

Too darn short, I feel like playing this one again but I'll give it a gap first and go for...

NP : THE KNACK ( AND HOW TO GET IT ) - John Barry

Quirky, snazzy score with a fabulous and very hip 1960's main theme complete with Hammond organ, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    1492 - Vangelis

Classic score (with lots of crossover appeal!) for an underrated film.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011 edited
    Agree. Love the score, fell in love with the movie when i saw it back when it was released.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2011
    It has it's faults but it's far better than the other, Cliff Eidelman scored film which came out almost simutaneously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    If I were to equate the two films to piles of steaming turds, then I'd put 1492 as maybe the size that a medium-sized dog might deposit but Columbus: The Discovery as one almost as high as the Burj Tower.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is DIGBY still alive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Planet of the Apes, Danny Elfman

Much much better than I remembered. I guess I never gave it enough of a chance.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HeeroJF wrote

It does have some good moments and I particularly enjoy the opening titles but I find the album a laborious chore to sit all the way through.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE - ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

A much tougher listen than 'Michael Collins', and I would even dare say I prefer the twisted yet memorable 'In Dreams' over this. In the end I can't keep a single track in my memory, and I'd love to because this is Dark Knight Elliot doing his stuff, yet it seems so inaccessible to my ears.

And that GNR song is so inappropriate... angry

It fits in the film though I prefer the original Rolling Stones version.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote

It's great in the film and is one of G'NR's finest covers! Even my Dad, a die hard Rolling Stones fan, prefers G'NR's version!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote

I think it's one of his best in the last 10 years, and while I don't particularly like his bombastic/dense soundscapes post-MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE in general, there's something about this that attracts me. I think it's the grooves and the overall album presentation that do it. Even the Oakenfold remix is cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

It's great in the film and is one of G'NR's finest covers! Even my Dad, a die hard Rolling Stones fan, prefers G'NR's version!

-Erik-

Haven't seen the film, but on album it's a little bit weird they put a rock song at the end. Maybe better had they put it at the start.

And I do love GNR, the 80s and 90s GNR that is. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. SUPERMAN II - KEN THORNE & JOHN WILLIAMS

I keep returning to this often. I think it's just as great Williams masterpiece. For starters, it's a 100 % thematic non-stop rousing score, that utilizes past themes to great rearranged effect. Thorne did a good job on this. I don't mind the decreased orchestra size, the original music already sounds sufficiently big and epic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Haven't seen the film, but on album it's a little bit weird they put a rock song at the end. Maybe better had they put it at the start.

Well, the song was featured at the end of the film and into the end credits.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!