• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    Hey all!

Wanted to draw your attention to a very special project.

http://www.haitisymphony.com/

"Symphony of Hope" is a musical fundraising project which was originally designed to help the people of Haiti in their desperate time of need. A year after the terrible earthquake which has destroyed the lives of thousands of Haitians, the need for assistance is even greater than ever. "Symphony of Hope" is a collaboration by 25 of today's leading Oscar, Tony, Grammy and Emmy winning composers to benefit Haiti Earthquake Relief. The "Symphony of Hope" begins with an original Haitian melody, then each composer contributes an additional 8-32 bars of music to the piece and then passes it along to the next composer. This is symbolic in the way that one lending hand passes on to another lending hand and so on and eventually a beautiful outcome is derived.

The composers involved are:
    Nathan Barr, Tyler Bates, Jeff Beal, Christophe Beck, Bruce Broughton, George S. Clinton, Elia Cmiral, Don Davis, John Debney, Randy Edelman, Andrew Gross, Dave Grusin, Marvin Hamlisch, David Kitay, Christopher Lennertz, Deborah Lurie, Lisbeth Scott, Pete Seibert, Theodore Shapiro, Ed Shearmur, John Swihart, Brian Tyler, Michael Wandmacher, Timothy Michael Wynn, and Christopher Young

We will be LIVE BLOGGING the scoring session from Warner Brothers on Saturday, March 26th. So be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Symphon … 5436965587
    http://www.twitter.com/haitisymphony

Thanks!!
    Dan
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting - and solidaric - idea!

Something similar should be created for the Japan disaster too, but that's probably going to happen soon anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Well, just so people are aware, this project started early last year. It's taken over a year to get it done; as I'm sure you can imagine, the mere logistics of coordinating TWENTY-FIVE film composer to write music.... all for free... combined with getting the musicians, studio space, etc..... all for free (donating their time) certainly took a while. lol
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    What a superb idea. Looking forward to hearing this - should be very interesting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    It sounds very worthy indeed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Here's a promo video. Looks promising!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGLxViu87A
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2011
    Nice music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Twenty-five composers writing music. A very admirable cause but won't it sound a bit fragmented. I look forward to hearing a bit more.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Actually, you'd be surprised, it really blends together quite seamlessly. One of the composers, an orchestrator called Pete Seibert, wrote a load of transitional cues and bridges which allow each composer's piece to flow into the next. It's really quite brilliant.
  3. Cheers Jon for the info. I look forward to hearing it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    Here is my little review (with sound clips) of the symphony which is available to download now.
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1352

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. I enjoyed the review. I will check out the clips later and look at availability in UK.
  5. Well this looks to be an instant buy then, judging from the clips. Some powerful music in there.

Is this itunes USA only, I sure hope not?

Thanks for sharing news on this, first time I've heard about this project. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. It is in the iTunes Store here in the UK.
  7. I can't wait to hear it. Best thing is going to be hear some composers doing their best effort here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    Can't wait to listen to it either.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    I can't wait to hear it. Best thing is going to be hear some composers doing their best effort here.

Not really. More like loads of great chefs being given a piece of chicken, some herbs, a tin of tomatoes and a pan and told to come up with something special.
  8. Got this off itunes and took a listen this morning. Some very nice stuff, movements 1 and 3 seemed the ones I was most likely to go back to -- would be good to see the breakdown of who wrote what sometime to see how well it matches up with prior assumptions of who the stronger composers are.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    Jon Brozton shared this with us at Filmtracks. He was at the recording sessions.

---

OK, here's the info from the cue sheet I took from the studio on the day of the recording. The number at the side of each composer's name is bars each composer wrote.

MOVEMENT 1 - WONGOLO
    - George S. Clinton (1-21)
    - Christophe Beck (22-41)
    - John Swihart (42-63)
    - Brian Tyler (64-109)
    - Lisbeth Scott (110-244)

Featured vocalist: Lisbeth Scott
    Featured pianist: Mike Lang

MOVEMENT 2: DEVASTATION
    - Chris Lennertz (1-26)
    - Pete Siebert (27-35)
    - Theodore Shapiro (36-45)
    - Pete Siebert (46-67)
    - Andrew Gross (68-92)
    - Don Davis (93-114)
    - David Kitay (115-175)
    - Elia Cmiral (176-221)

MOVEMENT 3: THE AFTERMATH
    - John Debney (1-37)
    - Pete Siebert (38-45)
    - Christopher Young (46-96)
    - Tyler Bates (97-129)

MOVEMENT 4: REBUILDING
    - Dave Grusin (1-51)
    - Edward Shearmur (52-78)
    - Michael Wandmacher (79-98)
    - Nathan Barr (99-148)
    - Edward Shearmur (149-192)
    - Dave Grusin (192-195)

MOVEMENT 5: HOPE
    - Deborah Lurie (1-25)
    - Bruce Broughton (26-52)
    - Tim Wynn (53-75)
    - Jeff Beal (76-106)
    - Marvin Hamlisch (107-118)
    - Randy Edelman (118-178)
    - Pete Siebert (179-213)
    - Randy Edelman (214-219)

Featured vocalist: Carmen Twillie

There is also a little bit of "connective tissue" also written by Pete Siebert that links each composer's pieces, so in essence what you get (for example) is in the last movement Deborah Lurie is bars 1-24, Siebert wrote 25-26, and Broughton's piece picks up in bar 27, and so on and so on.

The main melody you hear right at the beginning of the piece is a traditional Haitian melody, called "Wongolo", and that motif weaves its way through the entire symphony.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011 edited
    OK, so I reviewed this album tonight, and went through each piece picking out which composer wrote what, with actual timing notes, and here they are:

MOVEMENT 1: WONGOLO

00:00-01:25 - George S. Clinton
    01:26-03:23 - Christophe Beck, vocals by Lisbeth Scott
    03:24-04:25 - John Swihart
    04:26-06:39 - Brian Tyler
    06:40-11:47 - Lisbeth Scott, solo piano by Mike Lang

MOVEMENT 2: DEVASTATION

00:00-01:18 - Christopher Lennertz
    01:19-01:36 - a blend of Lennertz and Theodore Shapiro
    01:37-02:02 - Pete Seibert, a short bridge linking Shapiro and Gross written in the style of James Horner
    02:03-03:18 - Andrew Gross, with the last 25 seconds or so featuring a blend with a Pete Seibert arrangement written in the style of John Williams
    03:19-04:55 - Don Davis
    04:56-08:37 - David Kitay, solo cello by Dennis Karmazyn
    08:38-12:04 - Elia Cmiral, solo cello by Dennis Karmazyn

MOVEMENT 3: AFTERMATH

00:00-02:45 - John Debney
    02:46-06:26 - Christopher Young, vocals by Lisbeth Scott
    06:27-08:34 - Tyler Bates, solo guitar by George Doering, with the last 45 seconds or so featuring a blend of both Bates and Young's parts, arranged by Seibert

MOVEMENT 4: REBUILDING

00:00-01:39 - Dave Grusin
    01:40-03:08 - Edward Shearmur
    03:09-04:29 - Michael Wandmacher
    04:30-07:00 - Nathan Barr
    07:01-08:28 - Edward Shearmur again
    08:29-08:49 - a blend of both Grusin and Shearmur's parts, arranged by Seibert

MOVEMENT 5: HOPE

00:00-01:26 - Deborah Lurie, vocals by Carmen Twillie
    01:27-02:57 - Bruce Broughton
    02:58-03:56 - Tim Wynn
    03:57-05:10 - Jeff Beal
    05:11-06:00 - Marvin Hamlisch
    06:01-08:38 - Randy Edelman
    08:39-09:31 - Pete Seibert
    09:32-10:19 - Randy Edelman again

Hope this is helpful!

Jon
  9. Hi everyone,

So, as I mentioned earlier, I just reviewed the album for A SYMPHONY OF HOPE: THE HAITI PROJECT over at my website, Movie Music UK. As you all know, this is composer Christopher Lennertz's musical fundraising project for the survivors of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, featuring music by 25 of Hollywood's top composers, a 92-piece orchestra and a 42-strong choir.

http://moviemusicuk.us/2011/10/02/a-sym … rtz-et-al/

I absolutely urge everyone to pick up this album, as every single penny from every copy of the album sold goes directly to the Hands Together charity to help the people of Haiti.

Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I'm going to get it without a doubt, but I don't like these download providers that include no artwork whatsoever... I'm looking at you iTunes.

Luckily I found this.

So is this coming out on regular pressed CD?

Edit: I just saw the link to Amazon.com in Jon's review. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Very worthy project and I will be buying.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just ordered it from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=p … ex=blended
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Same. Looking forward to hearing it.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011
    my favourite tracks are Wongolo and Aftermath. lisbeth scott made an awesome job with her part. i also like tyler bates' part with youngs and bates' mix at the end of Aftermath. i also think, that michael wandmacher did a very good job with his part. it was really surprising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011
    It was surprising to me too 'cause i found the Bates and Wandmacher bits very interesting too (All and all a great project) but yeah i can't believe i said this just now btw.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.