• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The one that bugs me is where you have lists of scores/composers/favourite tracks and whatever and there's always a number of people who'll say "I can't believe noboby has mentioned 'composer-X, Track-Y*' etc.

*this happens a lot at FSM.

Argh, yes! That's one of my worst pet peeves. The number of times I've seen it at FSM makes me want to tear my hair out. The worst is when someone does it in the third or fourth post of a thread. I've actually seen that. Argh!

Peter crazy

That doesn't annoy me so much.

I wouldn't have expected that from you, since you generally seem to have a problem with people on FSM not realizing that their personal taste isn't everyone's taste. When a person essentially states "I can't believe that no one else is thinking exactly like me" that's the perfect time to hit them with a baseball bat and scream at them to get over themselves.

Thor wrote
    However, when someone starts a topic on the ESSENTIAL or must-haves of a given composer, and then the composer's entire discography is mentioned a few posts down, that's a bit annoying. It's not a competition in naming the most titles by a composer. It's trying to boil it down to the essentials to provide a fruitful buyer's guide.

Oh yes! It's really bad on Filmtracks as well. I really don't get why anyone there would ask people to recommend scores by a certain composer because they always get a list of a 100 different scores. It's insane. I really think some of the responders think to themselves "I want to show everyone just how many scores I have by mentioning alot, so people will think I'm cool".

Thor wrote
    Regarding the image/NP thing again, I feel there's something beautiful about the simplicity of it; like watching a painting at an exhibition. Plus the fact that it's happening RIGHT NOW, at another place in the world. If I want opinions and discussions on said scores, I can get that in other threads.

Stare at a wall in your flat. That's simplistic too. I don't get the appeal. The thread is just random people posting random images.

Thor wrote
    Even here at maintitles, I rarely give more than a sentence on the score I'm playing, sometimes not even that or about the music itself!

Well, here there are different approaches. You don't always have to post a detailed review. Sometimes a short post will spark an interesting discussion.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    I wouldn't have expected that from you, since you generally seem to have a problem with people on FSM not realizing that their personal taste isn't everyone's taste. When a person essentially states "I can't believe that no one else is thinking exactly like me" that's the perfect time to hit them with a baseball bat and scream at them to get over themselves.

It annoys me like hell when people take opposing preferences as personal insults and start lashing back. However, the "I can't believe no one has ever mentioned..." thing is pretty innocent in comparison. Lack of perspective? Yes, sure, but easy to get over.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote

It annoys me like hell when people take opposing preferences as personal insults and start lashing back. However, the "I can't believe no one has ever mentioned..." thing is pretty innocent in comparison. Lack of perspective? Yes, sure, but easy to get over.

I certainly agree with that statement. We all have our specific listening tastes and I would assure you that very likely you'd be quite bored with what I listen to. I certainly wouldn't be insulted if none of you liked the Lost Horizon (symphonic suite), the silent film score to Cleopatra, or the first symphony of Shostakovich which is what I'll be listening to today as all three will be reviewed. I would say that very few if any of you have heard all three works. I don't take offense or even think I'm wierd it is just my taste.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I'm seeing how many scores I can list in the "Now Playing" topic that get no response whatsoever!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm seeing how many scores I can list in the "Now Playing" topic that get no response whatsoever!

I'm sure there are a few of mine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm seeing how many scores I can list in the "Now Playing" topic that get no response whatsoever!

Just end your NP with THIS IS FAR SUPERIOR TO....Gianchino, Powell, Zimmer etc etc wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol

Tim is right....you're pretty sure to get a rise out of SOMEONE (or AT LEAST a reply...even Peter's good hearted comment to Tim's little rib on King Kong at least was a response!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011
    This elitist influential guy waves at the biased banned guy. Wait, there's an emoticon for that: wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    uhm
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That was actually quite funny. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    It's a pity that there's no code for sarcasm, because my line was dripping with that...

I find there's some kind of circularity to these boards. Back in 2005/06, Filmtracks was dragging its feet whereas MMUK was thriving. Now, it's the other way round.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011 edited
    ChrK wrote
    It's a pity that there's no code for sarcasm, because my line was dripping with that...

Yeah, see, I think we got that... (only that it was burning holes in my screen with its Alien-like acid venom...ity...tiousness...m. dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I looked this morning at the traffic on my latest review of the Tiomkin/Gerhardt material and was quite disappointed. There just seems to be little or no interest in the Golden Age material. Perhaps when Bregt is ready to put up the special page/column on MT it will generate more interest. I think the fact that these are being released again without the Dolby Surround is really a good thing.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Looking at my website stats suggests there's no interest in newer material either. The alternative is that there is no interest in it if it's reviewed by me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote
    Looking at my website stats suggests there's no interest in newer material either. The alternative is that there is no interest in it if it's reviewed by me.

I actually get more traffic on my classical reviews. The Holst review of his only symphony produced 10 times more than the Tiomkin. Perhaps I was the only one to review the Holst, who knows.

Thomas confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011 edited
    Question... when is the last time you guys whored yourself out and started promoting the shit out of your web sites? I get 30-40 daily hits but when I post an update on the other boards and Facebook my hits soar up to 200-300 hits a day and they stay that way for 3-4 days.

Anyway, I'm doing my best to promote your reviews on the IFMCA Facebook account but you guys might want to start doing some shameless plugs on the other boards if you want to see a significant increase in traffic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    When the man's right, he's right. It's a mouth-to-mouth world out there, even on the interwebz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think the best site is MainTitles, which also has the best webmaster and best administrator. It also has the best reviews of the best reviewers (except for Southall). It also has the best design and the best use of blue anywhere on the web (except for the Belgian tax website). It also uses emoticons in the best possible way.

Not sure about its members though, but I like this Bregt person.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think he's a bovinophile.
    I'm pretty sure, actually.
  2. I like the fact that 90 % of the serious posts on MT are mostly the truth, not all of them of course but the majority are based on real facts.

However, 90% posted by that Bregt person are based on hear-say, fabrications and exaggerations... rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think he's a bovinophile.
    I'm pretty sure, actually.

biggrin cow
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Question... when is the last time you guys whored yourself out and started promoting the shit out of your web sites? I get 30-40 daily hits but when I post an update on the other boards and Facebook my hits soar up to 200-300 hits a day and they that way for 3-4 days.

Anyway, I'm doing my best to promote your reviews on the IFMCA Facebook account but you guys might want to start doing some shameless plugs on the other boards if you want to see a significant increase in traffic.

-Erik-

It's much appreciated, believe me. I generally mention it on here when I write a proper, full-length review (sadly not that often these days). I'd probably get a hundred times more hits if I announced the reviews on the FSM board, but I'd feel bad about leaving spam.

My review of Titanic was read 100,000 times in less than a week back in 1997. The review of Money Train I posted one week ago has been read 123 times so far. (I know Titanic had pretty unique circumstances when it came to film score albums given the sales figures - but still - it's a rather disturbing decline.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    It's much appreciated, believe me. I generally mention it on here when I write a proper, full-length review (sadly not that often these days). I'd probably get a hundred times more hits if I announced the reviews on the FSM board, but I'd feel bad about leaving spam.

Never feel bad about promoting your site. Never! Maybe you should do a weekly end of the week update with all of the links to your most recent reviews (full length and capsule.) Copy and paste that post on FSM, Moviemusic.com, Filmtracks, here, Intrada, and Facebook and I guarantee you'll spark some interest.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Never feel bad about promoting your site. Never! Maybe you should do a weekly end of the week update with all of the links to your most recent reviews (full length and capsule.) Copy and paste that post on FSM, Moviemusic.com, Filmtracks, here, Intrada, and Facebook and I guarantee you'll spark some interest.

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more with the man here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    Question... when is the last time you guys whored yourself out and started promoting the shit out of your web sites? I get 30-40 daily hits but when I post an update on the other boards and Facebook my hits soar up to 200-300 hits a day and they stay that way for 3-4 days.

-Erik-

I do always posting links on FSM, Soundtrack Collector, and here. My post of the classical gets buried in non film and frankly I don't think there is much interest anyway. The plus for me with my classical material is the very nice backing I get from Naxos who is a huge distributor. I think I'm doing all I can.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tom you can always do more! Do you post on Moviemusic.com, MMUK, Filmtracks, Intrada? Do you have a Film Music: The Neglected Art Facebook page? And to be honest you don't really label your subject headings properly. That being said you do get quite a bit of interest on FSM. A see a lot of positive replies to your posts and it does spark some convertation. I also think a new look page would help your cause emmensly.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Moviemusic, MMUK, and Intrada would add perhaps 10 more per review according to my stats. I've never tried Film Tracks so perhaps I should. Bregt is helping me with a new page.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Moviemusic, MMUK, and Intrada would add perhaps 10 more per review according to my stats.

Well, that's ten more then what you are getting now. All I can say is that if you want more traffic you have to go out a get it. And if all of your hard work only produces a few more hits you have to say to yourself at least that's a few more people who didn't know about the site before. Or you can stop complaining and pack it all in.

sdtom wrote
    I've never tried Film Tracks so perhaps I should.

Craig Lysy is writing Golden and Silver Age reviews at MMUK and he is getting a lot of postive responses to his reviews because Jon is promote them heavily on Filmtracks and Facebook.

sdtom wrote
    Bregt is helping me with a new page.
    Thomas smile

Get'r done!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just posted on Filmtracks cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And in a short time there has been activity from it. Thanks Erik.
    Thomas smile