• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Not quite sure where this thread might go...

This thread only applies to new and upcoming scores by those composers who are still with us.

Composer(s) I'll buy without having heard a note

JOHN WILLIAMS

Composers I still take great interest in with a good possibility that I'll buy

JAMES HORNER
    WOJCIECH KILAR
    GABRIEL YARED
    ENNIO MORRICONE
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO
    RYUICHI SAKAMOTO
    PHILIPPE SARDE
    HOWARD SHORE
    CHRISTOPHER GORDON
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG
    THOMAS NEWMAN
    MICHEL LEGRAND

Composers I still take great interest in but who are becoming increasingly disappointing

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD
    ALAN SILVESTRI
    PATRICK DOYLE
    DAVID ARNOLD ( though as a Bond completist Bond 23 will be a sure thing )

Composers I barely have interest in but do occasionally produce something I like a lot

DANNY ELFMAN
    JOHN POWELL
    HANS ZIMMER
    MARCO BELTRAMI
    BILL CONTI
    TREVOR JONES
    KLAUS BADELT

Composers I can barely stifle a yawn to at the thought of them

BRIAN TYLER
    TYLER BATES
    TREVOR RABIN

Thoughts anyone?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Composer(s) I'll buy without having heard a note:

JOHN WILLIAMS

Composers I still take great interest in with a good possibility that I'll buy:

JAMES HORNER
    BRUNO COULAIS
    CHRISTOPHER GORDON
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG
    THOMAS NEWMAN
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO
    JOHN POWELL

Composers I still take great interest in but who are becoming increasingly disappointing:

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD (the only composer to have been demoted so many categories in recent years)
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL
    MYCHAEL DANNA
    JOHN DEBNEY
    MARK ISHAM
    TREVOR JONES
    DAVID ARNOLD

Composers I barely have interest in but do occasionally produce something I like a lot:

HANS ZIMMER
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    DANNY ELFMAN
    MARCO BELTRAMI
    RACHEL PORTMAN
    DARIO MARIANELLI
    HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS
    KLAUS BADELT

Composers I can barely stifle a yawn to at the thought of them:

BRIAN TYLER
    TYLER BATES
    TREVOR RABIN
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    Yikes! I missed a lot looking at your list, I'll have to re-edit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    To use your own classification system, Tim:

JOHN WILLIAMS
    DANNY ELFMAN
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

JAMES HORNER
    HANS ZIMMER
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD
    HAROLD FALTERMEYER (and other similar 80's synth stuff)
    New, funky and/or ambient scores by the likes of Mansell, Martinez, Isham, Eno, Daft Punk etc.

Composers I still take great interest in but who are becoming increasingly disappointing

Uhm....I don't know. It's a bit of an oxymoron for me. I don't have any great interest in composers who are getting disappointing to me. Maybe you're talking about composers you once really liked, but that you're now pretty indifferent to? I guess in that case, it would have be guys like:

ALAN SILVESTRI
    JERRY GOLDSMITH
    DAVID ARNOLD
    JOHN DEBNEY

Composers I barely have interest in but do occasionally produce something I like a lot

ENNIO MORRICONE
    JOHN POWELL

ALEXANDER DESPLAT
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO

There are tons more in each category, but those are the ones off the top of my head.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JERRY GOLDSMITH eh? And yet, no JOHN BARRY!? wink Thor, I stipulated living composers, composers still writing/playing/humming/ghosting* etc

*yeah yeah, you know what I mean spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    JERRY GOLDSMITH eh? And yet, no JOHN BARRY!? wink Thor, I stipulated living composers, composers still writing/playing/humming/ghosting* etc

*yeah yeah, you know what I mean spin

What do you mean? Isn't Jerry Goldsmith still alive?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Depends if you're a die-hard FSMer. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very few really capture my interest these days i am afraid. One disappointing score after another.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My updated list :-

JOHN WILLIAMS

JAMES HORNER
    WOJCIECH KILAR
    GABRIEL YARED
    ENNIO MORRICONE
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO
    RYUICHI SAKAMOTO
    PHILIPPE SARDE
    HOWARD SHORE
    CHRISTOPHER GORDON
    ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG
    THOMAS NEWMAN
    MICHEL LEGRAND
    DARIO MARIANELLI

JAMES NEWTON HOWARD
    ALAN SILVESTRI
    PATRICK DOYLE
    DAVID ARNOLD ( though as a Bond completist Bond 23 will be a sure thing )

DANNY ELFMAN
    JOHN POWELL
    HANS ZIMMER
    MARCO BELTRAMI
    BILL CONTI
    TREVOR JONES
    KLAUS BADELT
    MYCHAEL & JEFF DANNA
    GEORGE FENTON
    BRUCE BROUGHTON
    JOE HISAISHI

BRIAN TYLER
    TYLER BATES
    TREVOR RABIN

p.s. I've purposely aimed this at composers who primarily work in Film which leaves out such excellent composers as LEE HOLDRIDGE whose work is almost entirely in Television.
  1. I haven't popped in a score by Williams in probably two or more years. I enjoy scores by other composers, far, far more, and after time talking to people in the industry, I've learned a couple things about him that put me really off.

I don't own a single official score release by Brian Tyler. Or Tyler Bates. I used to get their names mixed up, until Bates made a name for himself with uber plagerism on "300". I liked the sample for "Legoland Universe", but there is no planned release I know of.

Folks here went on & on about Gordon; how complex, how amazing, how fantastic his scores and orchestral works are. I went to YouTube and listened to samples from about three or four of them. I have no future plans to sample anymore of his scores.

People go on & on about Powell and "How To Train Your Dragon", and Beltrami and "Soul Surfer". Bland, unmoving works to me.

I don't blind buy on any composer, not even Goldsmith.

I'm becoming increasingly disappointed in efforts from the last five or so years from composers like Silvestri, J.N.H., and Elfman.

Silvestri seems to be taking this boring uninspired route.

J.N.H. watered himself down with far too many Zimmer associates in his pack. He hit a massive golden period during the Shyamalan films, up to "The Village", though "Lady In the Water" and "The Happening" have their moments. A number of composers had a golden period for almost a decade in the '80's. His seems to have fizzled out rather quickly. Maybe it's just a lull.

With a breif thought, I can't name a score (but I'm sure there are some) other than one Bacalov title, for a new film from the last five or mroe years, that I want to own.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.