• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. A challenge was recently thrown at me lately by a girlfriend. Faced with too much choice on the ipod, the challenge was thrown to reduce the number of albums on the ipod to 30. When one was added, one had to be taken away.

I dipped my toe in the water last night, deleting 45 GB out of 125 GB from the pod, without so much as a second thought. Many of these had been added in the haste of an epic drag and drop operation when this pod was first put into action, and were never of much interest. But there others that were not so easy to farewell. But I'm curious where this new discipline leads. What will the 30 albums left at the end look like?

Tonight, the aim is to delete another 40 GB or so. It will probably not be as easy at the first.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Goodness! Rather you than me.

Me? I don't have one complete album on my iPod. I use my Creative Zen when I want to listen to albums. And I don't have any on that at the moment either.

dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    I have a "one in, one off" policy as well - but mine is forced by something arguably even stricter than a girlfriend, which is I've reached the maximum capacity of the thing.

I would find it challenging to go down to 30 albums, to say the least, but it's an interesting thought. I wonder how much room amongst the 30 there will be for film music.
  3. I hadn't even considered 30 CDs with anything other than scores!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh - Alan - you don't have any complete albums on there!?
  4. If he has only two tracks from BULWORTH or 4 from Poledouris's LES MISERABLES, I'm going to call him out. wink

The 30 albums will be scores. That much is for certain.

Her other challenge, 30 days without scores being heard altogether, is a bit harder to take on, but I will at some point.
  5. Southall wrote
    Oh - Alan - you don't have any complete albums on there!?

Not at the moment. It is all film/TV/game music and I use my iPod for shuffling on the move. So I couldn't concentrate on a whole CD. I keep that listening experience to my laptop/external hard drive, when I am sat specifically listening to music. And on those occasions I have literally thousands to choose from.

Also, to put whole CDs on my iPod I would need to think a bit on how to tag them without being mixed with my "favourites" playlist - which is just everything on my player rather than tracks being intelligently tagged.
  6. Another 30 GB off tonight. Harder than the first 40. What remains is 50 GB of soundtracks, and I guess realistically 30 albums probably going to be under 20 GB, so the next bit will probably be where it starts to hurt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I have playlists on my poddy with all my favourite tracks etc., so I need to have all my collection on it. I have a 160 GB ipod, but it's nearly filled up now. *gulp*

If I only could have 30 scores I wouldn't really see the point of having an ipod. Being able to have all my music and to bring it everywhere I want, that's why I have an ipod.

franz_conrad wrote
    Her other challenge, 30 days without scores being heard altogether, is a bit harder to take on, but I will at some point.

She sounds like a cruel woman. shocked

You know, you could just said "You won" and then proceed enjoying your music.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Another 30 GB off tonight. Harder than the first 40. What remains is 50 GB of soundtracks, and I guess realistically 30 albums probably going to be under 20 GB, so the next bit will probably be where it starts to hurt.

Wouldn't 30 albums be more like 3 GB? Mine are all around 100 MB.

Peter smile
  7. Ah, it's the discipline of it that appeals to me. And it could be a good circuit breaker, as I've found of late it's quite hard for me to get into albums when there are hundreds to choose from.

PS. Yes, you're probably right. It's going to take me a while to get there at this rate, that's for sure! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let us know what you end up with!

I'm not sure I could narrow the Goldsmith albums on my iPod down to just 30, to be honest. (It would be an 80% reduction!)
  8. Last night Cassandra Crossing got thrown overboard, along with Star Trek: Nemesis (of all things)...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Don't tell John!

I like Cassandra Crossing, though I acknowledge that it would be unlikely to survive this deepest of cuts!
  9. In fact, of all the Star Trek scores, only Star Trek The Motion Picture is left at the moment. (Admittedly, I hadn't gotten around to purchasing the two expanded Horner ones yet -- one of them would have stayed so far.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    In fact, of all the Star Trek scores, only Star Trek The Motion Picture is left at the moment. (Admittedly, I hadn't gotten around to purchasing the two expanded Horner ones yet -- one of them would have stayed so far.)

Both are indespensable.......IM not humble O.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    I currently have 946 albums in my iTunes/iPod, and could never narrow it down to 30. But I COULD narrow it down considerably, as there are plenty of things I don't really listen to (for example stuff I've already sold in CD format).

But my first priority is to downscale my CD collection, which is increasingly difficult because nobody wants to buy them. Heck, many of them I can't even GIVE away!!

As for the 30 day "celibacy", I don't really see the point. Some periods, I will go days without film music, other days I will go days without rock/pop or other genres. It's all in my mood at any time.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. How do you measure the number of albums on the ipod? I can always see how many songs there are, but not the albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    You can't really however you can get around that if you do the following...

I have iTunes set to sync "selected playlists, artist, albums and genres." I then dump COMPLETE albums into a playlist called Manual Update. This is a way of cheating iTunes into Manually Updating your iPod via drag and drop but using their sync technology to do it for you.

So I select a few albums, dump them into that Manual Update playlist (make sure that Manual Update Playlist is selected in the sync settings) and then sync your iPod. If I want to add more albums to my iPod I just dump them into the Manual Playlist and if I want to take any off I delete them from that playlist. Hit sync again and changes are made.

Now, to get back to your questions, Michael, this is the best way to keep track of how many albums you have on your iPod.

BTW, you can do this with all playlists including Smart Playlists.

Also, this is the best way to transfer your music (letting iTunes do the syncing for you) because if there or any changes made to the file or ID Tags within iTunes then the changes are automatically reflected on the iPod therefore no duplicate files and what not.

I know I went a off topic a bit but I hope that helped, Michael.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. I think I understand -- syncing through manual update is better than complete manual control, from the sound of things. But now I'm wondering how Thor knew how many albums were on his?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think I understand -- syncing through manual update is better than complete manual control, from the sound of things. But now I'm wondering how Thor knew how many albums were on his?

It says so right at the bottom of the iTunes player.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    Ummm... really? All I see is Audio (which shows me songs, GB and days worth of music) Other and Free. I don't see where it tells me how many albums I have on the iPod.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ummm... really? All I see is Audio (which shows me songs, GB and days worth of music) Other and Free. I don't see where it tells me how many albums I have on the iPod.

-Erik-

I'm talking about iTunes, not the iPod.

I assume that when you synchronize the two, the number of albums don't change.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But that's not what Michael was asking.

franz_conrad wrote
    How do you measure the number of albums on the ipod? I can always see how many songs there are, but not the albums.

Thor wrote
    I assume that when you synchronize the two, the number of albums don't change.

If you have more albums in iTunes then space on the iPod then there is a significant difference. I only have a 60GB iPod but 390GB of music.

-Erik-
  12. Yes, I'm in a similar situation to Erik. I don't synchronise the pod to the iTunes, partly because of space issues. (Although the subject of this thread is another constraint still -- an imposed discipline that feels a bit unrealistic now that I've attempted it. wink )

Now interestingly enough, even in iTunes I just get a number of songs, total running time, and total space requirements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yes, I'm in a similar situation to Erik. I don't synchronise the pod to the iTunes, partly because of space issues. (Although the subject of this thread is another constraint still -- an imposed discipline that feels a bit unrealistic now that I've attempted it. wink )

Now interestingly enough, even in iTunes I just get a number of songs, total running time, and total space requirements.

Look at the top right in the albums column. You'll see All (xxxx Albums) where xxxx is the grand total of albums in your iTunes library.

-Erik-
  13. Ah, I see... it depends on the view option.

2961 albums, apparently. Yikes. That probably means about 4000 overall. Too much of a good thing? smile