• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    Thor wrote
    I'm not in the mood for film scores today either.

NP: MATTHÄUS PASSION (Johann Sebastian Bach)

The whole thing...fitting for the day as well.

I'm not religious at all but that's a great choice and depending on my mood I might want to play that later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Film scores are too "bitty" for me today, I need prime steak.... eat

NP : SYMPHONY # 11 'THE YEAR 1905' - Dmitri Shostakovitch

AWESOME! This stunning version is the LSO conducted by Mstislav Rostropovitch.

I'm still not full.

NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

This is Herbert Von Karajan's version.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I look forward to it Tom, I like Alwyn's music.

He was quite a prolific composer. The disadvantage that I have is not having seen the majority of films he wrote for.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    NP : TWELVE HOURS OF SUNSET - David Bedford

A fabulous minimalistic 35 minutes of orchestral choral excellence, very subtle and yet it builds and builds to an ectsatic finale. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012 edited
    NP: SESSIONS 2000 (Jean Michel Jarre)

Perfect jazz/ambient/electronica for a rainy day like it is here right now. I think you might like this album, Timmer (the jazz/electronica thing, in particular). It's quite unlike any other album he's done.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: L'ABSENTE (Yann Tiersen)

Another brilliant album to play on rainy days. Several of the cues in this album were used for AMELIE, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: SESSIONS 2000 (Jean Michel Jarre)

Perfect jazz/ambient/electronica for a rainy day like it is here right now. I think you might like this album, Timmer (the jazz/electronica thing, in particular). It's quite unlike any other album he's done.

Hmmmm? I've never heard this but I like Jarre more than enough to check it out which I will, cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm still working on my Alwyn review. The good news is I got an extra copy of this one from Naxos so I'll be giving it away afterwards.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/f … iam-alwyn/
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2012
    Long before Waxman did his famous score for Taras Bulba Leos Janacek also did a fascinating piece in 1918 that told the story of the violent life of Cossack leader Taras Bulba. My recording is a new release from Naxos #8.572695. Antoni Wit conducts the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Janacek is a superb composer and very accessable, I look forward to hearing that Naxos release too Tom.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ludvig Van Beethoven

Duh Duh Duh DUHHHH! Wonderful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of those "obvious choices" I tend to avoid until I remember why it's an obvious choice.
  1. sdtom wrote
    Long before Waxman did his famous score for Taras Bulba Leos Janacek also did a fascinating piece in 1918 that told the story of the violent life of Cossack leader Taras Bulba. My recording is a new release from Naxos #8.572695. Antoni Wit conducts the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra.
    Tom

How would you rate our orchestra, Tom? I saw them live a few times (the philharmonic is less than an hour away from my place) and I really liked them.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    One of those "obvious choices" I tend to avoid until I remember why it's an obvious choice.

True! I was doing that with stuff like The Planets, Bolero various Tchaikovsky works etc only a few years ago.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    NP : SERENADE TO MUSIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Simply too good!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OLD KING COLE : A BALLET FOR ORCHESTRA - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Brilliant! Some of this work bears influences of his being a pupil of Maurice Ravel in the wonderful choral work, much of this could easily be a film score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OBOE CONCERTO IN A MINOR - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of my very favourite works, sublime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

How would you rate our orchestra, Tom? I saw them live a few times (the philharmonic is less than an hour away from my place) and I really liked them.

They are very good. A recording I can recommend you pick up.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 2 "OCEAN" original version 1851--- ANTON RUBINSTEIN

Know more in Russia for his virtuoso piano playing Anton did do a fair amount of composing. He doesn't have the Russian sound (Mighty 5) but definitely a European influence from Mozart, Schumann, and Mendelssohn. This is a new Delos release.
    Tom
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : OBOE CONCERTO IN A MINOR - Ralph Vaughan Williams

One of my very favourite works, sublime.

I'll give it a listen when I get back to a classical music mode. Most recently I have been playing a radio station that plays a lot of classical (quite a lot of Baroque) and film music (from both scores and songs from movies - I have heard stuff as diverse as The Adventures of Tintin and even songs from The Graduate).

What is making my day is that my mom really likes the station.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    smile cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Can you believe I've never listened to Britten's Young Person's Guide before? I just got a new recording with Rozhdestvensky and the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I'm impressed with it.
    Tom
  3. sdtom wrote
    Can you believe I've never listened to Britten's Young Person's Guide before? I just got a new recording with Rozhdestvensky and the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I'm impressed with it.
    Tom

Forgive a lame joke, but perhaps it's not so surprising... for a self-declared old timer. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Forgive a lame joke, but perhaps it's not so surprising... for a self-declared old timer. smile

biggrin

I am surprised you'd never heard it before Tom? It's as familiar to me from childhood as Peter and The Wolf, Carnival of The Animals etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    The Britten was one that slipped between the cracks.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    NP: ROSENROT (Rammstein)

Heavier, slower and more 'grungey'. Not the clean AC/DC-type riffs of previous albums. But it's growing on me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012
    NP: EROICA, OP. 110 ANTON RUBINSTEIN

Written in the later part of his life the work shows a development from a mature Rubinstein.
    Tom
  4. Moonlight Sonata Beethoven

One of the greats.