• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. He comes from the band Sigur Ros. Try them.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012 edited
    christopher wrote
    Just listened to Go Do by Jonsi. After the song in HtTYD and the songs in WE BOUGHT A ZOO I think I like Jonsi a lot. Anyone know this guy / band? Have any recommendations for albums or songs I should start with?

Jonsi is/was the lead vocalist of post-rock band Sigur Ros, as you may or may not know. I like some of their stuff, but Bregt is really the guy to ask. I think he's a big fan.

[Edit: I see Pawel beat me to the punch. Damn those leftover comments on the next page!]
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I haven't heard THOSE guys for ages!

Part of my childhood memories. It's one of the first bands I remember loving. I remember having arguments with my brother when I was telling him that The Beatles are better than Roxette. Then it all went downhill. My music tastes literally went chronologically from Roxette to The Beatles, to Backstreet Boys (I kid you not, luckily it took merely a year) to Hans Zimmer biggrin

Roxette!? shocked The Backstreet Boys!? shocked shocked HANS ZIMMER!?? shocked shocked shocked shocked ( okay I'll let you off the last one! biggrin wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. What's wrong with ROXETTE ? I think they've done some classy tunes. Much more classy than what we hear on the radio nowadays. Marie Fredriksson has an amazing voice.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    What's wrong with ROXETTE ? I think they've done some classy tunes. Much more classy than what we hear on the radio nowadays. Marie Fredriksson has an amazing voice.

Her voice is fine but pretty indistinguishable from so many others. 'much more classy than what we hear on the radio nowadays'? Not any more or less than it always has been, open your ears and there's still great pop being produced, there's also a lot of shit but then there always has been.

I'm afraid Roxette is a sound I really don't like.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Roxette is part of my childhood, so I have that connection. But even in retrospect (now that I'm older and wiser), I think some of their music is quite good -- at times a Swedish, not quite-so-ambitious version of Eurythmics.

"The Look" is awesome!

Backstreet Boys, however, is unforgivable! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This talk of Roxette and Backside Boys is making me queesy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I threw up already.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here, some other nice photos from our childhood to make you feel better after the conversation above.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    a quiet word D!?

ENOUGH!!!!!!!! cry
  3. Thor wrote
    Roxette is part of my childhood, so I have that connection. But even in retrospect (now that I'm older and wiser), I think some of their music is quite good -- at times a Swedish, not quite-so-ambitious version of Eurythmics.

"The Look" is awesome!

I own and still love their 'Joyride' album, which is now more than 20 years old. shocked I admit their later work hasn't done much for me but their early stuff was among the best of the popular music at that time.

As for modern day pop tunes, I like Keane and Hooverphonic a lot. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Keane? KEANNNNNNNNNNNE? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    "The Look" is awesome!

It is. It really is! punkbhangra
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    "The Look" is awesome!

It is. It really is! punkbhangra

I forgot about that one, yeah, that's alright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, that's alright. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. "Listen to Your Heart" is one of my all-time favourite songs.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    "Listen to Your Heart" is one of my all-time favourite songs.

It's all too much a world of 1980's Tom Cruise films for me. Awful IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's some good 80's to banish that rubbish... tongue

U GOT THE LOOK
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oops double post shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SWEET DREAMS - Roy Buchanan

From blues to jazz/funk, a master guitarist.

Thor, check out this track, very Gilmour/Floyd-esque, you may even recognise part of it if you ever owned the soundtrack to Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

FLY NIGHT BIRD

Thor, did you give this track a listen?
  5. Timmer wrote

Spot on, Keane makes me cry sometimes! Emotional songwriting. You are so very right! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SWEET DREAMS - Roy Buchanan

From blues to jazz/funk, a master guitarist.

Thor, check out this track, very Gilmour/Floyd-esque, you may even recognise part of it if you ever owned the soundtrack to Carl Sagan's COSMOS.

FLY NIGHT BIRD

Thor, did you give this track a listen?

Pretty good, yes. It resembles Rick Wakeman a bit too, especially the synths.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2012 edited
    I was playing ...

SOFT ON THE INSIDE - Andy Sheppard

And then I found this on youtube ANDY SHEPPARD BIG BAND

If you like melodic modern swinging big band jazz then please check this out, to say that the musicianship involved is spectacular is a bit of an understatement.

LOVE IT! love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Spot on, Keane makes me cry sometimes! Emotional songwriting. You are so very right! beer

I'm afraid it only makes me cry because it's such insipid rock, music for pre-teens IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012 edited
    NP: MY FAIR LADY (Lerner & Loewe)

The John Williams arrangement from 1964, performed in Tanglewood under Williams' own baton in 2004 (40 years later). Back in the 60's he performed it with Shelly Manne & co. Jazzy excellence.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 'MT. ST HELENS' - Alan Hovhaness

Starting tranquil and mystical and ending thunderously this is a great work that I would LOVE to see performed live ( some bloody hope rolleyes ), Hovhaness is probably my favourite composer of concert/program music..... sorry Copland.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Amazing!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 50 'MT. ST HELENS' - Alan Hovhaness

Starting tranquil and mystical and ending thunderously this is a great work that I would LOVE to see performed live ( some bloody hope rolleyes ), Hovhaness is probably my favourite composer of concert/program music..... sorry Copland.

I was wondering if Tom or anyone else here know if any of his film work has ever been recorded and released? When I say films I mean in the form of documentaries, he's done a handful since 1955 ending with two documentaries about EVEREST in the 1980's, I'd love to hear this work?
  6. I've never come across anything.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've never come across anything.

Me neither and I have had a web search. If anyone knows about this it'll be Tom.