• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I have never understood how someone can have a favourite conductor. Does everyone else have favourite conductors?

Having a favorite conductor is somewhat like having a favorite comic book artist in a literal way. It's like choosing between the John Romita Jr version of Batman vs Jim Lee's version or Frank Miller's version.

biggrin not quite Alan's language but he may get the gist.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Srolled through my media library and ended up with ...

ABBA "Super Trouper"

Super Trouper, beams are gonna blind me
    But I don't feel blue
    Like I always do
    Cause somewhere in the crowd ther's you!

Man, they were good! I mean, really, considering, whats going on in pop music these days.

Anni-Frid Lyngstad is Norvegan!

Thor, what do you think about ABBA?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. You know me so well Tim!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor, what do you think about ABBA?

I think their last studio album THE VISITORS is bloody marvelous. Pure pop art. I also adore Björn and Benny's CHESS musical. As for their earlier work, it's great party music, but not usually something I play at home.

Ann-Frid is Swedish, by the way, even though her mother was Norwegian and she was born here.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Anyone heard the new version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds?

I was listening to the clips earlier and I'm thinking that this new version is worse on almost every level compared with the original. This project is Richard Burton, David Essex, Julie Covington, etc and any changes were bound to fail. Liam Neeson's performance (from the clips) seems to be taking the piss. The only thing that even approaches the original in this version is the orchestral parts to the release - predominantly because there's not much difference between this and the original.

BTW, I really like the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone heard the new version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds?

I was listening to the clips earlier and I'm thinking that this new version is worse on almost every level compared with the original. This project is Richard Burton, David Essex, Julie Covington, etc and any changes were bound to fail. Liam Neeson's performance (from the clips) seems to be taking the piss. The only thing that even approaches the original in this version is the orchestral parts to the release - predominantly because there's not much difference between this and the original.

BTW, I really like the original.

I've not heard it but I see it's being heavily advertised on TV. I guess for many of us it'll always be hard to top the nostalgia value of the original....plus it's just the best one anyway!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Nightwish - 2012 - Imaginaerum

Who lets people release this kind of crap?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Could you include some sort of disclaimer in your signature to reinforce that all your comments are opinions?

wink
  5. Demetris wrote

Wrong thread? There is a score CD and a song CD.

For balance, I have both these and I think that there are some tracks that are worth hearing.
  6. Demetris wrote

I like Nightwish a lot, but I haven't heard this one ... yet
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Could you include some sort of disclaimer in your signature to reinforce that all your comments are opinions?

wink

Or aren't they? wink It's amateurish. And i am sick of all those sampled library scores..anyone with a computer loaded with libs can torture our ears these days; it's good for both sides of the industry (i.e. more work to lesser known people who wouldn't otherwise get in, which CAN bring very good things in the surface, but also the contrary) and also to the studios and directors who want to cut down budgets drastically and pay way way less than real people real orchestras and players. But it's very bad for some of us' ears. Giving a chance to all this mediocre stuff to actually see the light of day wink
  7. In the car this morning and this afternoon I was listening to "The Velvet Underground & Nico" as well as Nico's "Chelsea Girl". Nico defenitlely couldn't sing. But she does it beautifully! I didn't listen to this records in quite a while. Revisiting them was as moving as always. There is something special to these songs, a calmness and a melancoly that never fails to grip me.

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone heard the new version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds?

I just recently heard of it (prompting a comment that Jeff Wayne should give George Lucas a run for his money as far as Fucking With The Classics -heyyyy, now there's an interesting and profitable new TV show idea!- is concerned.)

With your comments, I now lean towards giving this one a wide berth.

I actually was quite openminded towards it before: I do own the seven CD massive box set, which has Curd Jurgens dinterpreting the journalist for the German version and Anthony Quinn playing the part for the South American market (good choices, by the way!), with one CD completely dedicated to a mass of remixes, most of which are honestly really very good!

But a full reinterpretation?
    Is it just the vocal performances or has the score (and more importantly the instrumentation) also been uplifted?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. I also own the German version with Curd Jürgens and the original with Richard Burton. Both are great. Zero interest though, in this new version.

I also own Jeff Wayne's "Spartacus" with Anthony Hopkins narrating. This production didn't fare very well and is long out of print. It' not in the same league as "War of the Worlds", but I like it quite a bit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    In the car this morning and this afternoon I was listening to "The Velvet Underground & Nico" as well as Nico's "Chelsea Girl". Nico defenitlely couldn't sing. But she does it beautifully! I didn't listen to this records in quite a while. Revisiting them was as moving as always. There is something special to these songs, a calmness and a melancoly that never fails to grip me.

Cheers!

Funny enough this album is playing here right now. ( my girl Mel is playing it )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Nico defenitlely couldn't sing. But she does it beautifully!

smile
    That is an excellent summary.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Nico defenitlely couldn't sing. But she does it beautifully!

smile
    That is an excellent summary.

Yes, it's weird, it's wonderful and it works. A classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GLOBAL UNDERGROUND - OSLO (Paul Oakenfold)

The mix from the DJ gig in Oslo in 1997. Builds superbly from ambient to house to trance!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kamp! - Kamp!

Excellent stuff for late night computer work..breezy, urban landscapes and night travel comes to mind. Awesome http://www.last.fm/music/Kamp!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2012
    NP : BBC RADIO 2: SOUNDS OF THE 70's

Really good program today with Johnnie Walker talking to composer JEFF WAYNE about WAR OF THE WORLDS. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2012
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

Fantasy scoring doesn't get better than this! love
  9. Currently I am listening to a German classic Christmas compilation. Performing artists are the Thomaner Choir, Kreuzchor Dresden, Virtuosi Saxoniae & Ludwig Güttler and others. Absolutely gorgious!

http://www.amazon.de/Vom-Himmel-Hoch-Kl … mp;sr=1-13

Cheers!
    Volker
  10. Mike Oldfield - The Platinum Collection.

AWWWWSOME! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    Mike Oldfield - The Platinum Collection.

AWWWWSOME! punk

Is this the deluxe version of the album?
  11. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

AWWWWSOME! punk

No, this isn't the album "Platinum" but a 3-disc Best of sampler, that Virgin released before Oldfield left for Universal. It's the best Best of by Oldfield because there are many rare mixes, extended versions and b-sides.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

AWWWWSOME! punk

No, this isn't the album "Platinum" but a 3-disc Best of sampler, that Virgin released before Oldfield left for Universal. It's the best Best of by Oldfield because there are many rare mixes, extended versions and b-sides.

Ah! I thought it might be. At some point i want to get the deluxe release of PLATINUM, it's one of my favourite albums of his.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS - Mike Oldfield

The original and still best version love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012 edited
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

One of my very favourite albums, just chock full of excellent musicianship and great melody.

Check out this lovely track also featuring Belgian harmonica virtuoso Toots Thielemans, it's very film music-like and I think some of you here will enjoy it.

ALWAYS AND FOREVER

The album features quite a few tracks that are orchestral, members of the LSO no less cool
  12. Barclay James Harvest:

"And Other Short Stories"
    "Once Again"
    "Gone to Earth"

I discovered that band when I was 14 years old and their music stayed with me ever since. I last saw John Lees' band four years ago in Essen. The only time I saw the keyboardist Wooly Wolstenholme live on stage. A year later he sadly passed away.

Also sceduled:
    The Moody Blues: "For Our Children's Children's Children"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2012
    NP : FRANK - Amy Winehouse

A really lovely album. love